Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Darwins and Namirs 2'nd adventure: Shows.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So this weekend have been very fun and very exhausting. On saturday Namir attended a show on a pet exhibition for a Somali club and on sunday both went to an international show. First for them and first for me.

Lets start with saturday and Namir.
The night before he got his first bath in his life and took it like a man. Not a sound nor any attempt to get out of the water. I prepared him as good as a rookie like me can and come saturday morning we went to the exhibition.
All pets were showed there and it was a big place but I can tell you, Namir was the absolute center of attention. He was a darling thriving no matter how many childrens hands, seniors or adults were petting him and shooting pictures of him, often at the same time.
All the time you heard from visitors.
"Aaah, what a beautiful cat." and then they came for a closer look and a petting session. Everytime I got a bit prouder. :BigSmile:

When the other cats were hiding in their cages Namir would lay on his back letting 5 hands pet him at the same time while dogs were barking at the agility 50ft away.
It kept on for 9 hours like this and everytime someone got close to his cage he still never got tired or drawn back. So many utterly happy faces on little girls and adults I saw this day
Finally we came home very tired and Darwin met us at the door greeting us both back home. I slept very well that night after a long proud day out with Namir. The other Somali owners from the club adored his outgoing personality and coloring so my nerves for the real show on sunday eased a bit.

I only have pictures from my phone so they are not very good but I hope you get the idea.

Attachments

Last edited:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sunday 9th of january 2011 is a day I've been looking forward to for months now, in a sence years.
My first show.
It was also the first show for both Darwin and Namir and I did my best to prepare tham as well as I could. Darwin I new I had in good shape clean as a whistle and Namir I did as much as possible with.
I left my home at 5.30 picking up two friends and Namirs breeder and then we went nort to Tierp, about 90 miles north of Stockholm.

Now, you have to excuse my enthusiasm over this day as it was my first and things that might not be something special for a seasoned shower was still really fun for me so bare with me.
As we got in we first cleared the veterinary check and went in. We made the cage presentable with what I had (gonna buy more beautiful stuff now that I know I will go on showing) and read the program to find out when my cats would be up roughly. Both were late in the day second last at their respective judge(?). Namir was gonna be checked by a dutch guy and darwin by a Swedish lady.
I talked a lot with a Russian woman showing two Sphynxes and we checked out all the other cats and talked to a lot of people. The day went on like that with me constantly going back to my cats to brush or clean a little smudge or just cuddle. I listened to many cats being judged and especially so when Sphynxes or Abbyssinians (same standard as my Somali) were up and then finally it was my turn.
First Darwin then Namir.
I know they are pretty good both of them but still it was my first time so I can admit I was a bit nervous.
The lady LOVED Darwin. Best tail she'd seen in years she said, very long and well shaped. body, nakedness, ears, eyes, type, condition and general impression were all very much to her liking. Excellent on everything with praises. Only thing was his whisker pads (bit small still) and she wanted a bit better profile on his nose going up to the forehead but she said it was due to him being so young. He´s 7 months and competed against 11 months cats. No biggie though but she said that IF I am to say anything at all that would be it.
He got called back with two other cats to see who would be nominated. A Russian Blue and a Cornish Rex. The Russian Blue was out directly and then she got to Darwin again and I kid you not, she spoke about him for a solid 5 minutes again, she really liked him. The 11½ month old cornish got the nomination anyway in the end but the owner of him was sure she was gonna loose. I did'nt mind that much since the Ex1 Darwin earned was good for me, first time and all. It was very exciting during those minutes though.

Next was Namir.
The Dutch guy loved his color, personality, body, condition and coat. He wrote that ears are still a bit high and nose a bit straight, also "still". Aparently Somalis grow into their heads quite late and again we were up agains cats almost twice his age.
An Ex1 for him as well though.

I am REALLY happy with the outcome of today. It might not be a huge thing to get 2 Ex1 but for me it is anyway hehe. And most people go home with nothing after all. ;)

Now I am home totally spent after a very hard weekend, had oh so much fun. I will go on showing my cats, that's for sure. I had a great time and both my cats just love all attention they can get. Darwin have sat on certainly 10 shoulders today and Namir got a lot of visitors as well by people who thought he was beautiful.
It is good for ones ego to hear things like that, especially from people themselves showing titel cats.
Sorry if I sound to "up". :D

Pics, again just with mobile. :(

Attachments

Gizzymom

Banned
That is just awesome, Daniel!!! Congrats to you, Darwin, and Namir!!! I am not sure what an Ex1 is, but I see that you got ribbons, so it must be good!! The pictures are great! My favs are Namir looking at a sleeping Darwin with what looks like disgust!:LOL::LOL:... And the one of Namir on the handicapped little boys lap... Isn't it amazing to see how animals can impact children?? (at least well behaved children.. LOL)

Glad all the boys had such a good weekend! Hope Darwin and Namir got extra treats after their long day!!:ThumbsUp:

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!:BigSmile:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That is just awesome, Daniel!!! Congrats to you, Darwin, and Namir!!! I am not sure what an Ex1 is, but I see that you got ribbons, so it must be good!! The pictures are great! My favs are Namir looking at a sleeping Darwin with what looks like disgust!:LOL::LOL:... And the one of Namir on the handicapped little boys lap... Isn't it amazing to see how animals can impact children?? (at least well behaved children.. LOL)

Glad all the boys had such a good weekend! Hope Darwin and Namir got extra treats after their long day!!:ThumbsUp:

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!:BigSmile:
Ex1 means they have gotten minimum 88 points out of 100 and that they are the best one of the ones getting Excellent. Ex1, Ex2, Ex3 etc, only ribbon for Ex1 though.
They were both competing as young cats 6-12 months and were amongst the youngest in their group so I think it is quite good but someone with more experience better put a value to it as I maybe see it as more than it is just because I am happy hehe.

Gizzymom

Banned
Ex1 means they have gotten minimum 88 points out of 100 and that they are the best one of the ones getting Excellent. Ex1, Ex2, Ex3 etc, only ribbon for Ex1 though.
They were both competing as young cats 6-12 months and were amongst the youngest in their group so I think it is quite good but someone with more experience better put a value to it as I maybe see it as more than it is just because I am happy hehe.
So more than 1 cat can get Ex1... but only the highest scoring Ex1 gets the ribbon?

Congrats! Well deserved! Love the pictures! You can see the lady really liked Darwin a lot. I like the pic of Namir being so well behaved and sitting at his open cage. I am sure you are quite the proud daddy!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So more than 1 cat can get Ex1... but only the highest scoring Ex1 gets the ribbon?
Nope, only one get Ex1 :Laugh:
The others get Ex2 or Ex3 and no ribbon.

Congrats! Well deserved! Love the pictures! You can see the lady really liked Darwin a lot. I like the pic of Namir being so well behaved and sitting at his open cage. I am sure you are quite the proud daddy!
Thank you.
That's one of the pictures I like the most as well as it shows so well how Namir loves being the center of attention. Like he is on a stage performing and is really happy about it.

Jennifer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats. Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Love the pictures

Wow - how exciting for all you boys :Wink: So glad it went very well for you; your little guys are SO handsome!​

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on a great weekend!!! My favorite pics are the one where Namir is sitting with the boy in a wheelchair and Darwin being admired by the judge:BigSmile: That little boy lokked so happy to have Namir sit with him- might be a therapy cat in the making:Wink: You must be so proud of your boys- sounds like they enjoyed it as much as you.

bellasmom

Banned
YAY for ribbons!! Congrats! That sounded like so much fun! Im glad the boys did well :ThumbsUp: I also love the pic of Namir looking at Darwin like "come on dude! You sleeping again!?":Cool:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Daniel, I loved the pictures (very nice for a cell phone) and truly enjoyed reading about it. Your excitement and enthusiasm are contagious! When you understand it better you can explain the judging procedure to us. And tell us if you picked up any good grooming tips! **grins after scaring the daylights outta you**

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Daniel, I loved the pictures (very nice for a cell phone) and truly enjoyed reading about it. Your excitement and enthusiasm are contagious! When you understand it better you can explain the judging procedure to us. And tell us if you picked up any good grooming tips! **grins after scaring the daylights outta you**
Thank you.
About grooming tips I did pick up quite a lot. It seems it is usually not done to the degree it is over there.
People don't use as increadibly much products and powder is rare. Cuts the process quite a lot but still the cats show amazing results I have to say. Some Norwegian Forest Cats, Main Coons and Persians were just stunning. However the Somalis are not wanted as fluffy by judges nor do they want the fur to be as uniform in appearance. It's supposed to be a bit rough looking on the underside of the neck and on stomach as long as it's not too much.

The judging procedure I am sure is about the same as in the States. It was an international show after all. A bunch of judges judge the groups they are specialized in and set points the same way as for you I guess. 100 point max. You never get to see the actual scoring but you do get a note with what he thought (shown in pic for Darwin). Judge can award Ex1-Ex3 or nominate to panel.
If you get nominated more judges are in on the decission for Best in Show.
They also award prices for BiV (best in variety)
To be nominated the cat need to get at least 97 out of 100 points and I know Darwin got that as he was in the nomination selection. :)

We have 4 Categories don't know if you do but I guess so.
Cat 1. Long Hair
Cat 2. Semi long hair
Cat 3. Short hair + Somali
Cat 4 Orientals

Apart from that you have classes depending on titel-status or age.
Then you have groups within it all that for colors.

I read up a bit on FIFE show regulations and it seems it is about the same if not exactly so.
BoB and Best over All we don't have often here, only on really big shows.

There are other awards and titles of course but mainly what you can get in the beginning is Ex1, Nom, BiS (or BiV but not in Darwin and Namirs class).
By deduction I can tell that Namir scored between 88 and 96 points (as he got Ex1 but wasn't called back for Nomination selection) and Darwin got between 97-100 as he got Ex1 and also got called back to nomination selection. :BigSmile:

If you have any questions just ask, if I don't know I can check for it. I'd be glad to as I then learn myself as well. :)

Attachments

Gizzymom

Banned
Obviously Darwin is in short hair category... but Somalis are too?? Isn't there hair at least "semi long hair"?? And does that mean Darwin and Namir are against each other??:Dizzy:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Obviously Darwin is in short hair category... but Somalis are too?? Isn't there hair at least "semi long hair"?? And does that mean Darwin and Namir are against each other??:Dizzy:
You are right, Somali is a semi long haired breed. However, the breed Somali has been put in category 3 anyway as it is a sister breed of the abyssinians with exactly the same breed standard except for lenght of coat.
Darwin and Namir could've been competing directly against eachother for the Ex1 but luckily they were not judged by the same judge. That's why they both had the chance (and made good use of it) to get Ex1. :Laugh:

The cats darwin was up against for nomination are the ones on pic 5 and 6 in my second post in this thread. The Russian Blue on pic 5 he beat but the Cornish Rex on pic 6 beat Darwin but it was a very close call. If Darwin would've been 11½ months as he was I think it might have been different. It was so exciting while she decided but I was still very happy with 2nd place and an Ex1.

Gizzymom

Banned
You are right, Somali is a semi long haired breed. However, the breed Somali has been put in category 3 anyway as it is a sister breed of the abyssinians with exactly the same breed standard except for lenght of coat.
Darwin and Namir could've been competing directly against eachother for the Ex1 but luckily they were not judged by the same judge. That's why they both had the chance (and made good use of it) to get Ex1. :Laugh:
Forgive for asking so many questions.... so for each category, there are multiple judges and each judge awards an Ex1? So who you are up against is basically luck of the draw? And then the nominations from each judge gets together to compete again, right? Like the play-offs?? :LOL:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Forgive for asking so many questions.... so for each category, there are multiple judges and each judge awards an Ex1? So who you are up against is basically luck of the draw? And then the nominations from each judge gets together to compete again, right? Like the play-offs?? :LOL:

Naturally there are more than one judge per category yes. Otherwise the poor bastard judging orientals would go home deaf after 8 hours looking closely at those yelling, eh, things. :p
Even classes are devided between judges but variety is not normally. Sure, if there were to be 60 red and white sphynxes to come they might have to split the variety as well but that wont happen.
Every judge award Ex1, Best in Variety and nominate one cat to panel. So if the class is big enough to be split amongst more than one judge (which they usually are) then more than one cat can get nominated and Ex1'd in that class.
There are also sex to take into account in adult classes. Males and females don't compete against eachother for prices until very late in the competition. In Darwins and Namirs class they do though as they are juniors.

It's confusing especially before you have actually been to a show to study what happens. To just learn this theoretically will be very hard I think.
Categories, classes, varieties and sex. Different judges, strange letter combinations for titles, certificates and prices. It's a lot...

Gizzymom

Banned
Naturally there are more than one judge per category yes. Otherwise the poor bastard judging orientals would go home deaf after 8 hours looking closely at those yelling, eh, things. :p
Even classes are devided between judges but variety is not normally. Sure, if there were to be 60 red and white sphynxes to come they might have to split the variety as well but that wont happen.
Every judge award Ex1, Best in Variety and nominate one cat to panel. So if the class is big enough to be split amongst more than one judge (which they usually are) then more than one cat can get nominated and Ex1'd in that class.
There are also sex to take into account in adult classes. Males and females don't compete against eachother for prices until very late in the competition. In Darwins and Namirs class they do though as they are juniors.

It's confusing especially before you have actually been to a show to study what happens. To just learn this theoretically will be very hard I think.
Categories, classes, varieties and sex. Different judges, strange letter combinations for titles, certificates and prices. It's a lot...
:Dizzy: :Shok: :Worn-out:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Wow, what a great weekend!!! Congrats sounds as if you had a blast! The photos are great - thanks for sharing!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds and looks like you had a wonderful weekend. Some of your pictures moved me to tears. Your boys are extra special. They generate a lot of love. No wonder you are so proud. I am too.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrads, sounds like you had a long exhausting weekend. I'm sure you
and the babies were worn out. They done a great job.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How exciting. Thanks for sharing your wonderful adventure and pictures with us. Namir looks like he is a personality PLUS cat and everybody enjoyed him. He was not afraid of anything and he had confidence. I love the look on the judges face when she is handling Darwin. Looks like everyone had a great time.