Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Day trips with your Sphynx?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
From what I've researched so far it seems the Sphynx is a more "mobile" cat that does not mind being in the car and accompanying you on day trips. If this is true, I was wondering what you bring along for travel- especially for when your kitty needs to "relieve" him/herself.

For example, I would love to bring my sphynx when I go to visit my parents for the day. My concern is, would I need to bring a litter box or is there an alternative? Anything else that I should consider for day travel?

Thanks!

Brooke

Banned
From what I've researched so far it seems the Sphynx is a more "mobile" cat that does not mind being in the car and accompanying you on day trips. If this is true, I was wondering what you bring along for travel- especially for when your kitty needs to "relieve" him/herself.

For example, I would love to bring my sphynx when I go to visit my parents for the day. My concern is, would I need to bring a litter box or is there an alternative? Anything else that I should consider for day travel?

Thanks!

Hi heather,

It's true, my sphynxes rather enjoy going for rides in the car. My first sphynx, Harold, especially loved it - he would be up on the dash looking out the window the entire time!

We were just talking yesterday about disposable litter boxes. They are very convenient for travel, inexpensive, pre-filled with a small amount of litter...just peel away the paper cover and toss it in the trash at the end of the day. You can buy them just about anywhere that sells litter. Of course, you'll also want to bring along some food and water and probably toys and a blanket. Other than that, your parents are probably all the entertainment your sphynx will need once you get there! I used to take my sphynx to work with me a lot (before they recently made a no pets rule) and I always packed a huge bag of stuff. He never used any of it - he was too busy exploring and visiting everybody! :LOL:

You may want to consider holding off on feeding for a few hours before the car ride. None of mine have ever gotten car sick, but its a possibility that will be avoided if your baby has an empty stomach.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Thanks!

I have pondered that question too. It is really a pain lugging the litter box. Many disadvantages. They stink. They're bulky. They don't fit in the car easily. They're open and easily spilled and take up alot of space. I bring Butterball with me to my parents all the time. The only solution I had was to get another litter box. They're inexpensive so I thought what the hell.

Or I suppose you could train your cat to use the toilet. I know a few members managed to train their kitties to use it but I have trouble keeping Butterball's waste in the litter box so I think a toilet would be stretching a little too much.

If you mean releiving himself/herself in the car then I don't see any other solution than to have the litter box. I would probably put a two hour time limit on Ball. If it's more than two hours, I would bring the box. Otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd be alright.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Brooke!

The disposable litter boxes sound great. I will have to get some. I haven't had a cat in so long (too long!) and they didn't have those back then. I can totally imagine myself packing waaayyy too much stuff that she won't need- like a diaper bag. :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Thanks Brooke!

The disposable litter boxes sound great. I will have to get some. I haven't had a cat in so long (too long!) and they didn't have those back then. I can totally imagine myself packing waaayyy too much stuff that she won't need- like a diaper bag. :LOL:

I 'm so bad about overpacking!! I bring 3 different kinds of treats, 10 sweaters, a week's worth of food, a gallon jug of water, towels, blankets...:LOL: but, you never know, there could be some freak blizzard in Florida, in the middle of summer, and we could be stranded somewhere... I do pack a ridiculous amount of stuff, but never use it...just leave it in the car, you know, just in case!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have pondered that question too. It is really a pain lugging the litter box. Many disadvantages. They stink. They're bulky. They don't fit in the car easily. They're open and easily spilled and take up alot of space. I bring Butterball with me to my parents all the time. The only solution I had was to get another litter box. They're inexpensive so I thought what the hell.

Or I suppose you could train your cat to use the toilet. I know a few members managed to train their kitties to use it but I have trouble keeping Butterball's waste in the litter box so I think a toilet would be stretching a little too much.

If you mean releiving himself/herself in the car then I don't see any other solution than to have the litter box. I would probably put a two hour time limit on Ball. If it's more than two hours, I would bring the box. Otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd be alright.

I'm glad you mentioned the two hours because I was wondering what a good time frame would be to keep in mind.

Oh! Another thing I was wondering, what kind of carrier do you guys recommend? Do you buckle them in to the seat of the car? Are soft carriers safe for the car?

Brooke

Banned
I'm glad you mentioned the two hours because I was wondering what a good time frame would be to keep in mind.

Oh! Another thing I was wondering, what kind of carrier do you guys recommend? Do you buckle them in to the seat of the car? Are soft carriers safe for the car?

This might be a matter of preference and depend on how long your trip is... I rarely go more than half an hour in the car with mine so a small carrier works perfectly. I have a hard carrier, and usually just leave it sitting on the seat. I'm sure a soft carrier is fine, too.

If you're traveling long distance (and have room for it) you might consider a larger crate, like a dog crate, that would fit a water dish and litter box and give your kitty room to move around.

PitRottMommy

Banned

Every pet is different. We made a 12 hour trip with Buffy and Buck and neither of them used the litter box we provided. When we finally made it home, it was also another few hours before they used the box. I'd say if you were to limit their water 6 hours before a trip that they could easily go 8 without a need for using the bathroom if it were an adult. It's pretty fair to say that most cats, up until 8 months of age, should be able to go the same number of hours as their age in months. Therefore, a 4 month old cat should be able to wait 4 hours between bathroom breaks.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use the soft carriers when I go to cat shows.
Some of the shows I will be going to later on are about 7-10 hours from here.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I usually take Meecho out every other weekend because she starts to get stir crazy. When I take her it is kinda like a traveling circus :LOL: This is my list of essentials.

1. throw away litter box-fits perfectly behind the seat on the floor
2. stroller
3. kangroo pouch in case she doesn't want the stroller
4. two blankies
5. sunscreen
6. treats
7. bottled water
8. food in a baggie
9. one fuzzy toy
10. one back up dress either thinner or thicker then the one she is wearing
11. tissues
12. baggies
13. baby wipes

basically everything you would bring if you actually had a baby with you :BigSmile:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Brooke!

Be careful with those disposable litter boxes. I used one not too long ago and the thing was so flimsy and heavy it was difficult to control. I got Butterball doo doo all over my friends house. It might be worth spending an extra few bucks on a solid litter box. Just my opinion anyway.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I call it the kangaroo pouch because it sits in the front. I tried one of those baby carriers that are just the bunched up cloth that you wear over your head. Meecho thought I was just silly for trying and scratched my belly to let me know that. Now she loves the pouch. She climbs in it before I can even put it on.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
crude the picture didn't load...let me try again

Attachments

• pPETS-3758715t400.jpg
    pPETS-3758715t400.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 24

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Im not sure the guys in the neiborhood would take kindly to me when I went over for a beer with my sphynx pouch and kitty hangin out of it! :Dizzy:

Brooke

Banned
Im not sure the guys in the neiborhood would take kindly to me when I went over for a beer with my sphynx pouch and kitty hangin out of it! :Dizzy:

Well, Admin, if that ever happens oh please please please get a picture of it!! :LOL::Woo:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I will, I might as well put Athena in the pet stroller and Leo in the pouch and then cruise over for beer night and some pool. Can I put the pouch on my back as well to take my pool shots? Oh and the floor in the garage where the neibors pool table is , is not level, does the stroller have those little wheel locks or will athena roll out into the drive way? I guess these are valid questions, aren't they? :Dizzy::Surprise::Hysterical::LOL:

Brooke

Banned
I will, I might as well put Athena in the pet stroller and Leo in the pouch and then cruise over for beer night and some pool. Can I put the pouch on my back as well to take my pool shots? Oh and the floor in the garage where the neibors pool table is , is not level, does the stroller have those little wheel locks or will athena roll out into the drive way? I guess these are valid questions, aren't they? :Dizzy::Surprise::Hysterical::LOL:

No worries! The stroller does have wheel locks! But, you forgot about the kittens. They'll want to come along, too. You can get one of those hats that holds two beer cans and just put a kitten in each cup holder instead. :Hysterical:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It's actually kind funny how the strollers really look like baby strollers. They have cup holders, locks, under carriage storage, storage box and pouches. Really creeps people out when they go to look at my beautiful baby and come face to face with Meecho. One woman grabbed her heart because she she really had in her head what the baby would look like. Probably didn't help when Meecho tried to lick her nose :LOL:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's actually kind funny how the strollers really look like baby strollers. They have cup holders, locks, under carriage storage, storage box and pouches. Really creeps people out when they go to look at my beautiful baby and come face to face with Meecho. One woman grabbed her heart because she she really had in her head what the baby would look like. Probably didn't help when Meecho tried to lick her nose :LOL:

I get the same reactions from people when I take Piglet out on her stroller, too. They expect to see a baby but end up seeing this hairless wrinkle monster instead. :Wink: Then they all want to touch her to see what she feels like...LOL!

Back