Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Deaf Kitten?

Mette

Lairian
Hello all,

I'm brand new to Sphynx cats, as well as this website. Last weekend, I picked up my kitten, George, from his breeder. This past week, I've noticed that he is unlike most cats. While I attributed this to his breed, I also started realizing that he wasn't responding normally to noises. After researching, I have come to the conclusion that he is indeed deaf. I contacted the breeder, who has not yet responded to my inquiries, and I reread the contract that came with the kitten. It specified that the kitten is guaranteed against any congenital defects for 9 months, but doesn't specify what the breeder will actually do in the case of a kitten's defect not being life-threatening.

My questions:
  • Is this common amongst the Sphynx breed? I searched the forums and googled the problem, and it doesn't seem to be that prevalent towards Sphynx in general, but rather, white cats with blue eyes.
  • How does one manage with a deaf cat? I researched this, as well, and while they specified how to meander the disability, they didn't specify how difficult of a life the kitten will lead. He also seemed to have separation issues whenever I would leave the room and he could no longer see me. Considering that I have a fairly demanding job, and I am out of the house for a large portion of the day, I worry that my absence will cause a very anxious and upset kitty due to this disability.
  • This question is for Breeders that might be on this website: What would you do if a kitten that you had sold had a disability? Do you have the cat returned to you? Refund money? Tell the buyer to deal with it?
Here are two videos that I have made to document his hearing:

WARNING: SECOND VIDEO HAS ME YELLING LOUDLY IN IT!

He's such a sweetie, and I've grown very attached to him.
11257844_10153254506803796_6336175409767643478_n.jpg

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mette , welcome to you and George!
George is precious! What a handsome boy and love his name!
Hopeful some breeders and others will chime in soon!
I would schedule a vet check to get a confirmation
There are others on the lair that have raised kitties with disabilities and hopefully will chime in on testing etc

He could be like mine that could nap through anything out coal kitty dreaming- I mean solid deep sleep I have not had in any other breed- sleep right next to a barking large dog etc without a care in the world

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
George is stunning! I would have come to the same conclusion as you. But if he was born deaf, he doesn't know any different so wouldn't feel like he's "missing out". Thank you for sharing.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Mette Welcome to The Lair. There is a member named @ElvirasMum that has a deaf baby. She has not been active here lately, but I tagged her in hopes she might pop in and give you some advice. Here is a previous thread on deaf cats to get you started http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/me-and-my-deaf-cat.26981/#post-325347

Also if you type in the search bubble the word deaf and do a search, you will see other numerous threads on the topic of deaf cats right down to what toys they do best with. Let us know how you make out at the vet and what the breeder has to say. George is adorable!

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hello @Mette and welcome to sphynxlair for you and George. George is a handsome cute little guy!

I don't have any experience with deaf cats so can't give you advice. Hope other will chime in!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. George is a handsome little gentleman.
Sorry to hear of his issue. But, as @Catzzzmeow said @ElvirasMum has white deaf
cat and you can learn him by sign language. It would be good also, if you
could get him a Sister or Brother. It doesn't have to be a sphynx.
I know you love him and wouldn't want to give him back, but, the breeder
should be worth their word. A reputable breeder would. No questions.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

I'm brand new to Sphynx cats, as well as this website. Last weekend, I picked up my kitten, George, from his breeder. This past week, I've noticed that he is unlike most cats. While I attributed this to his breed, I also started realizing that he wasn't responding normally to noises. After researching, I have come to the conclusion that he is indeed deaf. I contacted the breeder, who has not yet responded to my inquiries, and I reread the contract that came with the kitten. It specified that the kitten is guaranteed against any congenital defects for 9 months, but doesn't specify what the breeder will actually do in the case of a kitten's defect not being life-threatening.

My questions:
  • Is this common amongst the Sphynx breed? I searched the forums and googled the problem, and it doesn't seem to be that prevalent towards Sphynx in general, but rather, white cats with blue eyes.
  • How does one manage with a deaf cat? I researched this, as well, and while they specified how to meander the disability, they didn't specify how difficult of a life the kitten will lead. He also seemed to have separation issues whenever I would leave the room and he could no longer see me. Considering that I have a fairly demanding job, and I am out of the house for a large portion of the day, I worry that my absence will cause a very anxious and upset kitty due to this disability.
  • This question is for Breeders that might be on this website: What would you do if a kitten that you had sold had a disability? Do you have the cat returned to you? Refund money? Tell the buyer to deal with it?
Here are two videos that I have made to document his hearing:

WARNING: SECOND VIDEO HAS ME YELLING LOUDLY IN IT!

He's such a sweetie, and I've grown very attached to him.
11257844_10153254506803796_6336175409767643478_n.jpg

What a cutie! Good suggestions made already, I would second getting a confirmation that he is deaf. I'm not sure how the breeder will handle the situation, if we were still breeding, maybe discount on a second kitten down the road if you ever wanted another or I would imagine we would give some money back perhaps, especially if you wanted to keep the kitten. Oh, and welcome! :)

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I had a deaf kitty, though she wasn't a sphynx. She was also mute & toothless. In her case it was caused by severe long term infection throughout her ears, mouth & throat. (She came from a shelter.) She did perfectly fine & we didn't have to do anything special. We do have other cats though, so she didn't really seem to have any separation anxiety. Now, of course, there was no point in trying to call for her, but things like vibrations and movement would get her attention. She had the loudest purr, though!

Looking at the picture of your baby, he appears to be pink with blue eyes? If so, if he were furred he'd be a white with blue eyes.

Our Squeakers:
Squeakers1.jpg

Back