Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dealing with pet allergies?

Sarahstar66

Lairian
I have read on countless threads and websites that Sphynx are in no way hypoallergenic. But at the same time, most people also mention that their Sphynx bothers them/their loved ones less than coated cats.

I have had a numerous list of allergies since I was younger. Including being severely allergic to dogs, and slightly to cats, but cats never bothered me as much. Also in recent years, my dog reactions have become less severe. I haven't lived with a cat in a long time, so I can't say for sure if the same holds true for my cat reactions.

I already take Zyrtec regularly for seasonal allergies. We have hardwood floors, and allergen protection on our bed and pillows, and an air filter specific for blocking allergens. So I think I should be ok.

I guess I wondered what kind of advice other allergy sufferers can give about living with Sphynx? What do you do to minimize your symptoms?

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there,

First, I suggest spending some time with a Sphynx before adopting one; just to be sure you'll react okay. Hubby is allergic to various things, plus has extremely sensitive skin and contact dermatitis. So we had three different visits with Sphynx (two breeders and a friend who has Sphynx) just to be sure.

Thankfully Hubby is not much bothered. He washes his hands well after they play and that seems to help a lot. He still develops some bumps on his skin here and there, but nothing insurmountable.

I hope that helps. And welcome!!!

Sarahstar66

Lairian
Hi there! I went to spend some time at my breeder's house and I did ok. They had three adult cats and five kittens, plus a large indoor dog. I only sneezed a few times, and I feel like that was mostly due to the dog. I held the kittens and adult cats and my skin didn't break out or anything.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't have allergies but my mother is allergic to cats. Her symptoms tend to be mostly respiratory but she also will get a bit of bumps when licked or scratched. Often Frida will stay with her when I am away. I find the regular bathing is a huge help in reducing the symptoms for her. After about a week with Frida she starts to notice symptoms which is probably because the layer of dander has started to build up on her skin. Having Sphynx specific furniture and blankets also helps. For the allergy sufferers it is easy to tell what items in my house are Frida's favourites. I think one of the main benefits of Sphynx is that the dander is less airborne. Instead of flying around on hairs it just gets smeared all over stuff. Therefore you won't be breathing it in as much. Although my mother still notices some effects in my house it isn't as bad as in that of a furry cat.
Good luck I think the advice to go visit some Sphynx is a great one. A good Breader would want to make sure the allergies would be ok too.

renewedmind

Banned
I have read on countless threads and websites that Sphynx are in no way hypoallergenic. But at the same time, most people also mention that their Sphynx bothers them/their loved ones less than coated cats.

I have had a numerous list of allergies since I was younger. Including being severely allergic to dogs, and slightly to cats, but cats never bothered me as much. Also in recent years, my dog reactions have become less severe. I haven't lived with a cat in a long time, so I can't say for sure if the same holds true for my cat reactions.

I already take Zyrtec regularly for seasonal allergies. We have hardwood floors, and allergen protection on our bed and pillows, and an air filter specific for blocking allergens. So I think I should be ok.

I guess I wondered what kind of advice other allergy sufferers can give about living with Sphynx? What do you do to minimize your symptoms?
Little bit of info and I cannot say it enough lol as this is about the third time I have stated it on this forum pet allergies do not come from pet dander (which is basically like human dandruff its flakes of skin that fall off) it also does not come from cat hair... Believe it or not the main reasons for allergies in everyone is because of an enzyme or glycoprotein that is in every cat on earth the two main ones that cause allergies are Fel d 1, secreted by the cat's sebaceous glands and Fel d 4, which is expressed in saliva. So basically on a normal cat that has hair the oils from the sebaceous glands is absorbed and diffused into the hair which is then shed and anytime it touches you or floats into your face you react to it and since it is also on the skin when a skin cell flakes off which as you may recall from above is dander the cell is coated in the sebaceous oil also as cats always do when they lick themselves the enzyme in there saliva is coating there hair....

So my suggestion is do what I did go see an ENT (ear nose & throat doc) they have an allergy department most of the time and can do allergy testing on you and figure out what your allergic to and if severe enough they usually recommend immunotherapy allergy injections which is what I do... I have two vials one with one mix of stuff I'm allergic to and another with a separate mix of things I'm allergic to and I inject myself with a predetermined dose every week to reprogram my immune system to learn to not be allergic to the stuff in the injections.... Hope this has been helpful and maybe will help you get better control on your allergies :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@renewedmind I have to share with you that this topic has come up far more than just 3 times and it will come up forever as the community grows and newbies ask questions. The members often come with concerns and in need of help and not to feel like they are a burden and should have researched before asking. Often WE are their research and the thought of having others reach out and share similar experiences/knowledge is the gem of Sphynxlair!

Patti

renewedmind

Banned
@renewedmind I have to share with you that this topic has come up far more than just 3 times and it will come up forever as the community grows and newbies ask questions. They are in need of help and are coming with open minds and in need of help and not to feel like they are a burden and should have researched before asking. Often WE are their research and the thought of having others reach out and share similar experiences/knowledge is the gem of Sphynxlair!

Patti
My post was not ment to be anything other than educational to help especially with getting their allergies under control as I have said I have suffered with them my whole life but I love animals all of them and have had several over the years and would hate for someone else to suffer from such sever allergies that they cannot enjoy the love of a pet... As for further reading and research I only ment that to you for your other post that you linked to since you only listed the Fel d 1 enzyme and not the Fel d 4... Also I am sure it have been mentioned more than three I was just saying I have commented about this 3 times myself... So again I only ment it for purely educational purposes not to make them feel like a burden or that they should have done research before coming here at all I'm very sorry if it came across that way at all

Sarahstar66

Lairian
Just wanted to let everyone know I appreciate everyone's comments. I have done plenty of previous research on the allergy and what causes it. But I have also noticed numerous people, whether it be from here or YouTube or blog posts, have mentioned that the Sphynx doesn't irritate them as badly as other cats for whatever reason. My allergies are manageable, so I believe I will be fine. I was just looking for tips from owners who also have allergies on how they keep reactions at a minimum. Thanks for all the info!

renewedmind

Banned
Just wanted to let everyone know I appreciate everyone's comments. I have done plenty of previous research on the allergy and what causes it. But I have also noticed numerous people, whether it be from here or YouTube or blog posts, have mentioned that the Sphynx doesn't irritate them as badly as other cats for whatever reason. My allergies are manageable, so I believe I will be fine. I was just looking for tips from owners who also have allergies on how they keep reactions at a minimum. Thanks for all the info!
Very welcome and I guess I left that point out alot of people have less problems because of the less hair thing no hair to absorbed the oils or saliva so that is part of it... I noticed that mine weren't as bad before I got into the immunotherapy allergy injections as long as I didn't put or rub him and then touch my hand to my face or as long as he didn't lick my face and I washes my hands before I touched my face but with the breed they are known for headbuts and kisses and all kinds of face contact things that make them so cute so those are a few but you may just need to up your allergy meds if it becomes a problem my ENT has me on 3 zyrtec a day but this of course may not be recommended for everyone best to ask a doc on that part... Another recommendation since bynadryl makes me tired a doc recommended another otc that treats the same but isn't a drowsy one its called chloratrimenton I think is how u spell it... Chloratabs is generic at Walmart I use it to

renewedmind

Banned
Ahh one other thing I just remember is ... Well this will depends also on if u have issues with dust mites... But if you plan on letting your baby sleep with you wash all your bedding at least every two weeks in hot water the hot water kills dust mites plus it should help loosen up any oil or small stray hairs that they may or may not and get them off also dry them on the hottest setting in your dryer which will help with keeping hair down oil down and killing nasty old dust mites too which may help overall too :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
A bit late and you already did get great advice from others. I'm allergic to cats and dogs too.
My allergic reaction to my three naked cats is way less then my allergic reaction to cats with hair. But still I'm allergic. To make it as less as possible:
- Iwas my hands a lot
- I wash the blankets very my naked trio lay in all day a lot
- it's better to let them not sleep in your bathroom. I failed this one myself. But hey, still can say it's better not too:)

For the rest I just accept that I have some allergic reaction, look at my trio when I feel not so well and think: I love you so much:).