Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Declaw dilemma

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice about my girl Bernadette. She is a rescue of mine that I haven't had very long. Unfortunately she was previously front paw declawed. This so far hasn't presented itself as an issue until today. I noticed that on her declaw she has a small sliver like thing coming out. I am worried that her claw is growing back. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this or knows anything about it? We're going to the vet tomorrow but in the meantime any advice would be helpful. It anyway breaks my heart that this was even done to get in the first place.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice about my girl Bernadette. She is a rescue of mine that I haven't had very long. Unfortunately she was previously front paw declawed. This so far hasn't presented itself as an issue until today. I noticed that on her declaw she has a small sliver like thing coming out. I am worried that her claw is growing back. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this or knows anything about it? We're going to the vet tomorrow but in the meantime any advice would be helpful. It anyway breaks my heart that this was even done to get in the first place.
Its not unheard of, In instances in which the entire nail bed was not removed, you can have nails grow back - usually as deformed ones.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@nudieluvr , smooches to your sweet Bernadette-
Please let us know what the vet suggests-
I would imagine you could maintain it like a regular nail as long as it is not bothering her.

I am so glad Bernadette has you and a life full of love and care she deserves.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hope the slive thing is not painful for Bernadette or bothering her. I don't have experience with declaw paws so can't give any advice. Hope the vet know what it is.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It is possible for the nail bed to not totally be removed and the claw to start growing inside the flesh.
There is a large animal vet that goes around to big cat rescues and repairs bad declawing on big cats.
One of my kits had a horrible declaw job done before she came to me. There were issues as she aged we had to deal with but she was such a trooper. Remember with cats that have been declawed they recommend starting joint suplementation because more pressure is put on their shoulders with having to walk differently.
Please let us know how your girl is doing.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Vet says that things are okay and we need to just moniter. It may be a nail growing but it's too early to tell. If the nail does grow back she will unfortunately need to be declawed again as the nail will cause pain :(

lapril

Lairian
Poor baby. Can't believe someone who went out of their way to obtain a sphynx would do something as horrific as declawing. Makes my stomach turn. Poor little sphynxy

Zoya

Lairian
Its not unheard of, In instances in which the entire nail bed was not removed, you can have nails grow back - usually as deformed ones.
We just noticed literally yesterday, this same thing with my cornish rex and I was on here to search and ask about it. He's also a rescue, completely declawed. He has what appears to be 1 single nail growth on his hind paw. Deformed, bad, painful? It looks pretty normal, just really really short.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor little sausage. I hope she's ok and you don't need to have it surgically sorted out.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Vet says that things are okay and we need to just moniter. It may be a nail growing but it's too early to tell. If the nail does grow back she will unfortunately need to be declawed again as the nail will cause pain :(

So sorry. I hope she doesn't have to go through that again.
But, if she does it will be to help her.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So far we are just monitoring. No huge changes. Vet says it may take a while to know. It's sickening to know that this happened to her in the first place. She's the sweetest little girl and even without her claws she "scratches" in all the right places.

dobby

Lairian
Good afternoon. I hope I am posting this correctly. My Dobby has the same thing on the top of a front paw. I have taken him to the vet and he said it could be removed but he would have to wear the horrible collar to keep from bothering the stitches. He said as long as it doesn't bother him and it stays clean to keep it clipped and watch it. So far that is what we are doing and it is working well. Good luck to you!

Back