Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Deeply saddened by the cruelty in our world

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Many of you have probably heard about the family of 4 missing in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. The one girl 13 yr old girl was found and her kidnapper has been jailed, her mother, brother (10 yrs old) and family friend had been missing for the past week. They were finally found dismembered in a hallow tree this past week. Among them they also found their family dog, dead.
The entire community is devastated and this particular story has really stayed with me for some reason. I went out 2 of the days to help search and the other days of this past week I've sat glued to the news channels and searching for my own answers online and unbelievably depressed.
It just goes to show you never really know who your neighbors are. This has been a grim reality for a lot of folks in this area. Mt. Vernon is only about 30 minutes from me, but I used to live and do my shopping there about 5 years ago.
I've heard stories and read things like this ever since I've moved to Ohio 14 years ago, maybe I'm just a tender soul but I can't even sleep at night with this one. I was so hoping to find those folks a week starved but alive and it just didn't happen.

Please pray for this family and their loss.
Rest in peace Tina Maynard, Kody Maynard and Stephanie Sprang and godbless Sarah Maynard the only survivor of this nightmare.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I followed that story as well and I couldn't believe the end result- awful. That was great of you to pitch in and help search for them.

Inferno12

Banned
People disgust me some times. I think humans are some of the most damaging thing on this earth in more ways then one. I feel so sorry for the lone survivor, not only did she loose her entire family but she is more than likely going to be so screwed up in the head that she will never be the same. How can someone do something like this. I just hope the poor girl didnt have to watch the killing and dismemberment but with this psycho.

Thank you for pitching in and doing your part.

Bella07

Banned
My heart aches for that family, and anyone else who may be in trouble out there. It is so devestating, that is why I can't bare to watch the local news anymore. I tried to the other night, and it was all about a local gunman and flasher in a school...It truly disgusts me. Rest in Peace to the Maynard's :Cry:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So sad, things like this bother me to. I am crazy sometimes we live in a pretty good area but you just never know. That is why we put a alarm on our house, it's kind of crazy because our house is a million years old and we are not fancy but I love it for the safety when I lay my head at night.
It was so great of you to help out with the search, thank you!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As much as I am also disturbed by the actions of my fellow man -- the tragedies are far out numbered by the triumphs and heroes -- they just don't make good news ratings. poor ratings= no advertising dollars.

should they not report this stuff? I don't think so, but I feel strongly that these things are less common than lotto winners -- I'm much more likely to win that than encounter one of the horrendous people.

btw -- news reports about 3 of these things a month all over the country, and in Texas, there are at least 8 lotto winners a month -- so for the entire US, 3 really horrible things vs 400 lotto winners -- which should you spend more time on?

Gizzymom

Banned
As much as I am also disturbed by the actions of my fellow man -- the tragedies are far out numbered by the triumphs and heroes -- they just don't make good news ratings. poor ratings= no advertising dollars.

should they not report this stuff? I don't think so, but I feel strongly that these things are less common than lotto winners -- I'm much more likely to win that than encounter one of the horrendous people.

btw -- news reports about 3 of these things a month all over the country, and in Texas, there are at least 8 lotto winners a month -- so for the entire US, 3 really horrible things vs 400 lotto winners -- which should you spend more time on?

I TOTALLY agree with the media aspect. There are far more horrible stories on the news then light hearted happy ending stories. But I can't believe that statistic would be true. Maybe because I live so close to Chicago, but I happen to personally know a handful of crime victims (significant crimes), yet I do not know any lotto winners... Maybe I am a magnet for bad luck... :Woo:

Ahicks99

Banned
Wow Yes that story got me too. I am in NEw Mexico and it made our local news here too. I cant beleive it sometimes that people are so out of it. And could actually do such a thing. You know were not just talking about a murder. This person had this whole thing thought out. I wonder what hes thinking now that he's caught? Sitting in jail? I bet hes going to go for the insane defense. We need to take it back a few years and Hang these people at the stake. Public Humiliation! And for some a little justice. How dare any person take away from another ane not made to suffer the consequences. Living in Prison is a far cry from what this one particular family had to endure.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Most of the locals are speculating that they "cut a deal" (took death penalty off the table) in order to obtain the information on where the missing were located. Those who this has touched the most in this area will go insane and loose everything they have to fight this and make sure this guy is brought to justice.
I don't think him pleading insane will fly too well with a jury as he has a violent criminal past from Colorado, arson.

I'm just don't get how this guy sleeps at night or how he could stomach his actions knowing these people never harmed him and didn't deserve this at all. Its one thing to kill someone, its another to dismember and hide them in attempt to leave the friends and family with nothing but questions.

Anyhow, yes, while I like to be informed in regards to violence in my area and things going around it is much nicer to hear about lotto winners. However, if I were a lotto winner and didn't have to make it public of winning, I wouldn't. I don't need so called friends trying to benefit from what little luck I may land with in the future so I wouldn't expect others to as well.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Some humans are just dreadful people. My heart aches for the poor girl. I hope her father will get her the help and support she will need.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sigh, this kinda thing never ceases to disgust me, but I no longer am surprised by stuff like this.....not to say it doesn't upset me, it does. Unfortunately, there are people who just don't have empathy, seriously, they don't have it. They will never understand it and will never truly be sorry for their actions, much like a lion who takes down a zebra, he is not sorry for what he does, it is the way he is. This sick piece of crap should be put to sleep, end of story. Sad thing is, I don't think a majority of people realize how many members of society are capable of committing acts like this and the only thing that keeps them at bay is a pill or two or three. I have read so many psychiatric files at work that have scared the s**t outta me at who is out there walking in the streets. But yes, it saddens me too and it is just not fair. :Cry:

Gizzymom

Banned
Sigh, this kinda thing never ceases to disgust me, but I no longer am surprised by stuff like this.....not to say it doesn't upset me, it does. Unfortunately, there are people who just don't have empathy, seriously, they don't have it. They will never understand it and will never truly be sorry for their actions, much like a lion who takes down a zebra, he is not sorry for what he does, it is the way he is. This sick piece of crap should be put to sleep, end of story. Sad thing is, I don't think a majority of people realize how many members of society are capable of committing acts like this and the only thing that keeps them at bay is a pill or two or three. I have read so many psychiatric files at work that have scared the s**t outta me at who is out there walking in the streets. But yes, it saddens me too and it is just not fair. :Cry:

It sound like you have seen more than your share of the crazies! But I would not compare people like this to a lion taking down a zebra... A lion is just following his instincts and is just trying to survive and nourish itself. These scumbags have no excuse.... One of my pet peeves is when someone says a murderer is an "animal". Animals do NOT kill for fun or kicks... they kill for survival... These sickos do not deserve to be called animals!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It sound like you have seen more than your share of the crazies! But I would not compare people like this to a lion taking down a zebra... A lion is just following his instincts and is just trying to survive and nourish itself. These scumbags have no excuse.... One of my pet peeves is when someone says a murderer is an "animal". Animals do NOT kill for fun or kicks... they kill for survival... These sickos do not deserve to be called animals!

Just to clarify: His behavior is like a preditor, what a psychiatric doctor would describe as preditory behavior. I'm trying to describe it in layman's terms without using medical terminology and such. And no, I wouldn't say he or any other person who commits stuff like this is an animal, not at all. There is no excuse for his actions. My bad, I didn't mean to make it sould like I was justifying his behavior, in no way am I saying that. I was trying to say that some people are just bad, they will never change, and they should be shot. One thing I really hate about the internet age are words being lost in translation and not having the discussion in real time.

Back