Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Delayed Introductions :)

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
Hello everyone!
I joined the lair in Aug of last year, about the time I decided to get serious about buying a sphynx.
I've wanted one for years before that, but price was a big deterrent, and I realized I would just have to buckle down and save if it was ever going to happen! I joined the lair to learn about the breed and check out my options. Over the last year I've bought cat books, called breeders and asked seemingly every question under the sun and have spent hours and hours online learning about diet, vaccines, etc...
SO a year later I have all the money saved, plus some for emergencies/cat furniture, etc... and I've got my baby!
I'm thrilled to be a part of this community and have a place to go where people readily offer sphynx advise :BigSmile:!
As for me personally; I'm 23, I love animals and worked in an animal hospital all through high school, and now work as an esthetician and body piercer. Having two jobs doesn't leave me as much time as I'd like to be home with my baby kitty and my boyfriend, but I love what i do :Smile:. Oh! my kitten's name is Early and hes a wild and crazy guy:LOL: I also have an elderly American Bulldog named Dozer who I'll be adding to my albums as well

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
You should come to a show one day when I show my cats.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gunstreetgirl and a late welcome to Sphynlair! What a cutie early is! Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome, you will love it here:ThumbsUp: Early is a sweet looking boy, congrats on finally getting your sphynx!

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
Welcome to the site.
You should come to a show one day when I show my cats.
I would absolutely LOVE to! I've considered showing Early but I'm not sure I'm prepared for the people drama that I'm sure comes with it haha... I'd love to check it out tho!

Do they need to be unaltered? I'm considering leaving Early intact, I'm just not sure how his temperament will be. I've always fixed my pets and haven't owned an intact male :Wink:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi welcome to the family, your sphynx looks very cute! Nice to meet you!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would not have a intact male.
They tend to spray.
When I start breeding I will start with a girl.
Did the breeder give you rights to have a whole cat?
I have a show in San Jose in 2 weeks.
You can come and watch me show my cats and see if you like it.
Then you can decide if you want to show.
It would be better to start with a alter.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome and congrats on your new baby!! He's a real cutie!

X

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
I would not have a intact male.
They tend to spray.
When I start breeding I will start with a girl.
Did the breeder give you rights to have a whole cat?
I have a show in San Jose in 2 weeks.
You can come and watch me show my cats and see if you like it.
Then you can decide if you want to show.
It would be better to start with a alter.

Yep she did! I don't really wanna start breeding though, I don't have the time and I'm young and don't own a home so I feel like it'd be irresponsible to breed kitties without any long term plans. I move about once a year it seems haha...
But yes, she gave me the option of that or another kitty :Woo:

holly_savage

Banned
Your baby is gorgeous, I am a sucker for the pointeds. I think I have to agree with Jacky, wouldn't want an un-altered male in the house, for the spraying they are prone to do...especially if you don't plan on breeding.

But ultimately, the decision is yours to make..so good luck either way, and you really should go to the show. I've been to a couple and have not really noticed a whole lot of attitude...but then again, I was talking to the sphynx and HHP owners mostly.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow she should not have done that.
Most breeders want you to have alters first.
I have 3 alters and now I can get a breeder from some breeders.
I am going to show first though.
I would alter him and take another cat.

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome!!! I love Early's name...he is a handsome boy!! :ThumbsUp:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nice to meet you. Early is so precious. I love pointed too.:Smile:

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to SphynxLair! And most importantly, congratulations on adding Early to your family, he is gorgeous! Yes, visiting cat shows in a ton of fun, you'll love it!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sphynx Lair is a great place to learn about the breed and find helpful hints for raising them. Early is a beautiful boy; your love for him comes out in your posts. I'm so glad his bout with herpes worked out the best it could. Did you say somewhere that your breeder offered and you decided to take one of his brothers as well? It will be wonderful having two as they love company. Personally I have never owned an intact cat so I can't offer advice other than to say that I can think of a million other things I'd rather do with my spare time than to clean cat piss off my walls and furniture. :Wink::Surprise: But I do know that if I needed to learn how to do it, I could find tips here on SL!

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
Sphynx Lair is a great place to learn about the breed and find helpful hints for raising them. Early is a beautiful boy; your love for him comes out in your posts. I'm so glad his bout with herpes worked out the best it could. Did you say somewhere that your breeder offered and you decided to take one of his brothers as well? It will be wonderful having two as they love company. Personally I have never owned an intact cat so I can't offer advice other than to say that I can think of a million other things I'd rather do with my spare time than to clean cat piss off my walls and furniture. :Wink::Surprise: But I do know that if I needed to learn how to do it, I could find tips here on SL!
Haha! I also thought of quite a few reasons to not have an intact male, the spraying part being numero uno.

I just wasn't sure if they needed to be intact for competition, I literally know nothing of animal showing... But it seems like fun! That, and all my friends think the interest is ridiculous so it would be rad to have my cat participate and show em whats what!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome gunstreetgirl. Early is a beautiful kitty!

I don't recommend leaving him intact unless you plan to breed him. Intact males aren't the most pleasant creatures to have around at times. The stench of whole male urine is overpowering even if the male doesn't spray and faithfully uses his litterbox. It can be controlled, yes, but only if you devote yourself to cleaning his litterbox every hour that you're awake.

I don't want to say that whole males become more aggressive, because that isn't exactly true. But they can become more "bitey", more "scratchy", and overall more unpredictable in their behavior. This becomes worse if there's a female in heat within smelling distance (and their smelling distance is probably a mile, or at least it seems so. Their smelling range extends far beyond their house, that's for sure).

Then there's also the dubious fun of listening to them howl non-stop if they smell a female in heat. Plus they sometimes start scratching up doors and carpeting at doorways in an attempt to get at her.

Intact males can be very sweet and loving to their humans, but getting rid of sexual distractions really enhances their devotion to people, makes them much calmer, and also makes them happier because they aren't constantly deprived of the sexual satisfaction that their bodies urge them to seek.

You can also show an altered registered cat in the Premiership class. Their competition is exactly the same as it is for whole (Championship) kitties, the only difference is that they've been altered.

gunstreetgirl

Lairian
Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize they acted that way all the time... I've heard stray cats howling and stuff, I assumed it was because they were hangin out with a female or something.

It sounds like there's no benefit to keeping this guy intact, so away they go :LOL:!
well... at about seven months or so. I'd like him to get the full benefit of his hormones and develop into a very male-looking male cat. I like the studly, broad-nosed big boys :ThumbsUp:

tessblack

Banned
Welcome, he is so beautiful. Good job saving up for him and having a little extra. It is so important. Can't wait to check out his pics.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair!
Glad you got some advice about neutering if you arent going to stud him!
Cat pee is the worst smell in the world, and male cat pee is like being in hell. I dont know how breeders tolerate it!!!
I saw the most gorgeous intact male sphynx at a show once with big puffy cheeks and a big neck and he was beautiful, but he stank so bad! Also his owner said he didnt play with cat toys or cuddle much....because he was so interested in girls! I cant imagine having a sphynx that didnt cuddle or play!!!!
I have a neutered male that I showed, but he hated it so we quit......which is unfortunate because he was doing well....

Adventures of A Naked Cat

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I literally know nothing of animal showing... But it seems like fun! That, and all my friends think the interest is ridiculous so it would be rad to have my cat participate and show em whats what!
As some of the others have mentioned there is a "Premiership" class for showing altered pets. I hightly recommend attending a show. If you can make it to San Jose in a couple of weeks it would be worth going just to hook up with Mews2much and Sleepyheadkitten. They have a wealth of showing experience and will give you a good feel of what to expect and how to do it.

I showed one of our boys in a TICA show in Boston back in 1992. Tanker did well and actually placed 2nd best Altered shorthair, but he absolutely hated everything aobut beign there so we never went to another show. I was a little disappointed as I was just starting to get into it.

susi794

Staff member
Good job on saving up for Early plus extra for fun stuff and vet costs! Early is a very pretty boy! And a big, delayed, welcome to the Lair