Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dental care HELP!

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
So I just recently aware that I NEED to clean my baby’s teeth. Neither my vet or the breeder told me before! I just noticed that there is redness on her gum today. (She doesn’t has mouth odor tho) Please help me what should I do? Any products you guys recommend for dental care?
DD264EDB-18D5-4977-871E-416865FC68EF.jpeg
DD264EDB-18D5-4977-871E-416865FC68EF.jpeg

Pixel

Lairian
After the vet cleaning you can also try to keep on top of it by wrapping some strong Kleenex or paper towel around your index finger and gently wiping the gums / teeth in a downward motion. My vet just showed me that trick last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
So I visited the vet today, and they suggested me that tooth removal surgery for her. I’m kinda worried cuz she’s situation is not that bad from what I can tell. They gave me some medicines and tell me to think about the surgery. And from what they are saying, brushing her teeth is just a preventative care, which won’t help her current situation. My heart is broken.. any thoughts or advices on this problem?
161E16C0-12AA-491F-ACCC-30B758828646.jpeg

Sheldon13

Staff member
Why are they saying it needs to be removed? What is so bad?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
Why are they saying it needs to be removed? What is so bad?

I asked the vet and she said that those meds she gave me will only temporarily relieve her current condition... she mentioned that this breed can carry weak teeth gene? And she said that brushing her teeth is a preventative thing which won’t help her gum problem right now. I’m kinda doubting cuz from the cases I saw on the internet, cats need that surgery all had really bad teeth. But as you guys can see in my pictures, the gum is not bad as it seems need teeth removal. My thought is taking her to another vet later to see if I get the same answer... ughh many clinics around me won’t take new patients due to the covid, this is a nightmare.

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
I
I asked the vet and she said that those meds she gave me will only temporarily relieve her current condition... she mentioned that this breed can carry weak teeth gene? And she said that brushing her teeth is a preventative thing which won’t help her gum problem right now. I’m kinda doubting cuz from the cases I saw on the internet, cats need that surgery all had really bad teeth. But as you guys can see in my pictures, the gum is not bad as it seems need teeth removal. My thought is taking her to another vet later to see if I get the same answer... ughh many clinics around me won’t take new patients due to the covid, this is a nightmare.
I ordered toothpaste, toothbrush and many dental cleaning treats for her. Before I get her to another vet, I figure that I’ll try these to see if she’s condition is reversible.

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
I

I ordered toothpaste, toothbrush and many dental cleaning treats for her. Before I get her to another vet, I figure that I’ll try these to see if she’s condition is reversible.
Here are the meds I get, just some pain medications and antibiotics. Hopefully it’s reversible. I feel like the vet jumped to the conclusion without even do a more detailed check, like no x-ray exam nor anything, she only took a look at Mochi’s mouth.
AA4A4DA0-F74E-45DD-AA0B-804DF815BB74.jpeg
B032CD42-AF1E-4B7C-8C5B-859BF389EC17.jpeg

Sheldon13

Staff member
Here are the meds I get, just some pain medications and antibiotics. Hopefully it’s reversible. I feel like the vet jumped to the conclusion without even do a more detailed check, like no x-ray exam nor anything, she only took a look at Mochi’s mouth.View attachment 100282View attachment 100283

Yes I think a second opinion is a good idea. I’m shocked they did not do an X-ray. I’m just bc wondering, if the tooth isn’t rotting then why does it need pulled? Won’t a simple cleaning do the trick?

Back