Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dentals and HCM testing..

Hello Lairians. Hope everyone is well! I wanted to post about some worries I have (I will admit I worry about EVERYTHING when it comes to my na-kids!!). So some of you may know/remember Loki a sphynx from the east coast..If you know Loki (or his owners), you will know him as a beautiful, cheeky, photogenic beauty that filled lives with so much joy just from simply reading about his antics or looking at his photos on instagram. Besides spending time with my own na-kids and looking at them and constantly laughing and smiling, Loki inevitably brought a smile to my face each and every day as I followed his every move on instagram. It was a few months ago when I had a very long and stressful day at work and then had to run my husband to a doctor appt--as I sat down in the waiting room, I went right onto my phone and onto instgram looking for some Loki love to cheer me up. Unfortunately, I went on only to find out that Loki has passed during a routine dental cleaning (never woke up from the anesthesia).:cry:They said it was from an undiagnosed/underlying heart condition. My heart broke and I could not help but to burst out in inconsolable crying right there in the waiting room. I had to leave (by this time my husband had gone back for his PT eval) and wait for my hubby outside in the parking lot. To this day, it just breaks my heart BUT even morose it has put this horrible fear inside me to take my na-kids to the vet for ANYTHING, let alone a dental cleaning. So--with that..I am rational and know the importance of good dental hygiene in my babies--especially for my Arlo who has terrible teeth (gets them cleaned twice a year) and that not getting dentals can lead to gum infection, bigger issues and can affect their overall health. So, they are both scheduled for dentals (together) for the beg. of October. My question is--should I get them scanned for HCM and if so, is there a reasonably priced way of doing so? I have heard that this test is super expensive and although I would do anything to ensure the health of my babies, I thought perhaps there might be less expensive way of getting it done (HCM clinics, other tests to detect HCM, etc..). I know anything can happen at anytime but I just have this incessant fear now of losing one of my babies and it is a debilitating fear that I struggle with. My anxiety level over bringing my babies in for this simple dental cleaning is really taking it's toll. I have already scheduled the day off from work and am meeting with the vet ahead of time (although it's the vet techs that do the actual cleaning). My vet knows I am a worrisome cat mom and obliges me with extra measures that make me feel a little better but nothing can prepare you if something tragically happens to your babies. I know losing them is a part of the cycle of life, but I can't bear the thought and want to take any measures necessary to ensure they live a long, healthy life. Again, any suggestions on getting them tested for HCM.. (also as a side note--the breeder I got my babies from did say that parents tested negative for HCM but I found after I got my babies that this breeder was not as reputable as I had thought :mad:). TYIA !! And sorry for the lengthy post!!:shame:

susi794

Staff member
Was Loki sedated with Ketamine? That can cause death from undiagnosed heart issues. Insist your vet doesnt use it. Especially if you have ANY question about the cardiac health of your babies. As for an HCM clinic, try googling it for your area. Prices vary widely. A scan around here costs $400 if there aren’t any symptoms. I have 7 cats. Ouch! But if I drive for 2.5 hours (outskirts of Detroit). Without symptoms they are only $125. It’s worth the drive. Don’t be afraid to shop around.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I agree look for clinics. We personally scan ours at 1 years of age to get a baseline. Then we do blood work and have our vet run a Pro-BNP blood test to see if any changes that might indicate her6 disease. proBNP Blood test

This can help keep costs down, but unfortunately there is no way to fully gauge unless they get fully scanned. I too felt sick hearing about Loki passing.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ArlosMom , I am having the same exact worries about dentals with my nakids .
I just had the dogs dental dome thst required 3 extractions . His had pre blood work amd was told he had omly a stage 1 tartar . His heart rate dropped during surgery so they gave him atenol? To help .
They do not use Ketaminebfor cents or dogs.
So having this experiemce two weeks ago I am terrified of a dental on my 8 ur old with stage 3 heart murmur .
I recemly posted a thread what is your cats dental routine .
My vet suggested a product called " healthy mouth " I am seriously considering . It has a comparison chart of om their site of other brands ingredients

I do remember Loki s journey . It reminds me that nothing is "routine " .

There is a organization I can send you in a PM thst has HCM clinics listed by state . I kmow breeders go here for lower cost scans . They did tell me they would not scan my boy simce I was told he had a grade 3 murmur already . She told me they can make an appointment to talk to the vet - saod they are geared towards breeders . Anyways worth a call bcz there scan fees is very reasonable in comparison to the $600 ome I got .
I am personally I'm the same boost as you worrying so but my nakeds and dentals .
It's discount dental month here at my vets - you can ask your vet if they do the same
Ask if they use NO Ket,aome and Isoflurome amd propofol(sp) instead ?

Will be following closely

((Hugs n head smooches ))

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had a friend whose dog died during a dental cleaning. I have never had one done on any cat. This isn't a good solution but it's the lesser of 2 evils I'm afraid.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , I a, terrified again .. My Bubba bear rottie is getting bloodwork Momday and dental this Tuesday . The vet is amazing and her expertise is dentistry . She did great with my Aussie I just got bsck from my ex who didn't wamt him anymore .. Took him for a wellness check right away .
He ended up with 3 extractions :( Doing great now.
we talked at length about anesthesia . She used Propofol amd Isoflurane - NO ketamine .

My Sphynx have heart murmurs - grade 2 and ome has a grade 3

I wonder if any members have had dentals done with kitties with heart murmurs ?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Our boy Babas has a grade 2 murmur diagnosed when he was a kitten. He had 2 dental cleanings during 13 years. No ketamine discussions with the vet every time.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
One if my sphynx was 7nder for a dental cleaning and that was when the vet found his heart condition. He did NOT have a murmur. He had very advanced HCM and live another 7 months with a lot of care.
I have always gotten my cats teeth cleaned. Even my first sphynx that had a murmur since the day I got her and she lived to be 14 and a half.
Personally, I think the benefits outweigh the risks. As I have always seen a huge improvement in the cats health from dental cleanings.

Ailin

Lairian
Was Loki sedated with Ketamine? That can cause death from undiagnosed heart issues. Insist your vet doesnt use it. Especially if you have ANY question about the cardiac health of your babies. As for an HCM clinic, try googling it for your area. Prices vary widely. A scan around here costs $400 if there aren’t any symptoms. I have 7 cats. Ouch! But if I drive for 2.5 hours (outskirts of Detroit). Without symptoms they are only $125. It’s worth the drive. Don’t be afraid to shop around.
I live in Toledo. Where did get the testing for $125?