Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Deposit Placed! Introducing our new Lord, Beerus!

Murrocity

Lairian
Regardless of brand, feed wet food over kibble.

Boiled chicken could be a great snack but only a snack because it's not a "balanced" diet. When I'm making a steak or grilling something else for myself I usually trim a little bit off for the cats. Theirs I don't season and I just leave it rare. They love it. Well at least 2 of them love it; the 3rd one insists on eating his rabbit and only his rabbit.

Is there any particular reason for wet food over kibble, and what about a mix?

And good to know! Thanks!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Is there any particular reason for wet food over kibble, and what about a mix?

And good to know! Thanks!
You can mix it and actually I think most people do.

The main 2 reasons why wet food is better are that #1 wet food provides water (cats are not natural drinkers) and #2 wet food is higher in protein. Kibble on the other hand is higher in carbs. Cats that eat kibble end up consuming more calories to feel satisfied and then they gain weight. Plus if they don't drink enough water, male cats especially are liable to develop urinary crystals. Kibble does have a couple of advantages - price and the convenience of being able to sit in a bowl all day and not go bad. I think the people that mix them feed wet food in the morning/evening and leave some kibble to munch on during the day. Then only thing I would say is leave just enough for your cat to finish the kibble and be hungry to eat his wet food dinner when you get home. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of the convenience and they still get the benefit of wet food twice a day.

Last edited:

Murrocity

Lairian
You can mix it and actually I think most people do.

The main 2 reasons why wet food is better are that #1 wet food provides water (cats are not natural drinkers) and #2 wet food is higher in protein. Kibble on the other hand is higher in carbs. Cats that eat kibble end up consuming more calories to feel satisfied and then they gain weight. Plus if they don't drink enough water, male cats especially are liable to develop urinary crystals. Kibble does have a couple of advantages - price and the convenience of being able to sit in a bowl all day and not go bad. I think the people that mix them feed wet food in the morning/evening and leave some kibble to munch on during the day. Then only thing I would say is leave just enough for your cat to finish the kibble and be hungry to eat his wet food dinner when you get home. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of the convenience and they still get the benefit of wet food twice a day.
Thank you again for the info! :)

Luckily, ill actually be home with him 90% of the time, so ill likely be able to just give him 3 feeding times if needed instead of giving him some kibble he can just freely munch on most days.

Will probably be something to do some tests with and see what works best for the little guy when he comes home.

So excited the next 3 weeks just cannot pass quickly enough. All I can do it research more and prep for him until then.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Murrocity

Lairian
Got an update today!
Look at those fuzzies! {=

IMG_20210422_132657_547.jpg
IMG_20210422_132657_575.jpg

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The vet explained to me dry food is high calorie so good to put on condition if they are losing it and good for teeth, whereas wet food is good for the kidneys which is why we go for the 90% wet 10% dry ration plus regular teeth brushing.

JessicaAOkay

Lairian
Hello again fellow Lairians, and join me in celebrating some exciting news!

Last year, some of you may remember I was looking for general Sphynx-care info, Breeder info, and Vet recommendations.

Well, we finally met with a Breeder who some of my family are familiar with, and met with her kitties. To our joy, my SO didn't react to any of her kitties AT ALL -
even the ones with peach fur and/or small patches of fur on them!

So ~ so hello to our boy, Lord Beerus!

View attachment 103574 View attachment 103575

Deposit was made last weekend, and the Breeder just contacted me again today with a new pic (on the right) and to let me know she'd be working on setting up his transportation date, as he's currently in Russia and will need to come to the US before our official pick-up date.

I was wondering --
what sort of things should I prepare for with welcoming a kitty from out-of-country?

I'm not yet sure if the Breeder intends for me to arrive to pick up the same day he'll be arriving in the US, or if he'll have time at her Cattery to rest beforehand - and thought it'd be a good idea to get some info and prepare beforehand. I'm sure he's going to be tired from the travel, so I want to make sure I can keep him as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Esp since he'll also need a vet visit within 48 hours of me picking him up from the Breeder.

Also; are there any specific things I should ensure to do to make him more comfortable around the house as a Bambino?

I'll be doing some research om Bambinos specifically now that I know my boy is one, but I'd to hear what others who are experienced with them have to say.

I'm still excited. So much.
I can't wait to welcome him home.

p.s. - any advice/stories are welcome, truthfully!
I'm trying so hard to stay sane while I wait for him :sob:

Edit: I just realized, I received the 1 Year Anniversary Here at Sphynxlair trophy today! So crazy how things work like that! All the more excited now!
Congratulations on the new baby! Mine came from the Ukraine and when he arrived he had to spend a few days in quarantine to make sure he was disease free.
the breeder then took him to his vet but I would take your new baby to your vet as soon as you get him.
All of his paperwork that he came with, with the exception of the breeder vet check was in Ukrainian so I had to have his documents translated or else our vet couldn’t read them.

Murrocity

Lairian
Congratulations on the new baby! Mine came from the Ukraine and when he arrived he had to spend a few days in quarantine to make sure he was disease free.
the breeder then took him to his vet but I would take your new baby to your vet as soon as you get him.
All of his paperwork that he came with, with the exception of the breeder vet check was in Ukrainian so I had to have his documents translated or else our vet couldn’t read them.
Oh thank you for the info!

I'll have to be sure to get some translated paperwork for sure.

Hes got about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks between his 16 week mark and the period we are expecting to get him, so I'm assuming it's during this time they'll be doing their own vet checks, transporting, and quarantine and such.

Its really nice to get a better idea of the process. :)

Murrocity

Lairian
My Toly came from Russia too!

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Ooo! <3
I was pretty nervous at the thought at first HAHA.
I had actually been waiting for my contact Breeder's litters, but she had posted a picture of this sweet bean on Facebook saying he needed a name/was available.
I only learned when texting her about him that he was actually from Russia/a kitty from one of her friend's litters.
Luckily, I'm fairly familiar with my Breeder as some of my own family works with her/at her Cattery.
And I believe Lord Beerus is coming from someone she actually gets some of her Kings/Queens from.

Despite my anxiety, though - we had fallen in love with him, and I wasn't gonna change my mind just because he wasn't one of her's/would be coming from Russia.
I'd love any tips you have <3 Though, I've calmed down a little bit now.

Having a set date for him, and knowing exactly what his transport is going to be has helped significantly.

I think my biggest concerns now is just keeping him healthy and as stress-free as possible while he adjusts to the new place.
I know he'll likely lose a lot, if not all, of his fuzzies with how warm it'll be getting here soon enough; but I'm a little worried about allergies and such.
I'm glad I've already got his first vet appt and everything setup.
It'll be great to discuss with the vet and learn even more <3 Ik there's only such much people on a forum can give :'D

And can I just say --
I'M SO EXCITED. I swear I'm going to end up crying when we go pick him up.
The next 3 weeks just cannot go by fast enough. I have so much love to give him.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I couldn’t stop smiling when I picked Toly up. I was in heaven the whole way home.

My breeder handled most everything most everything about delivery and it was pretty smooth.

I will say, look to him not eating, drinking, or even eliminating during the travels. Toly did not feel well for several days after I got him because of this. Maybe have some chicken baby food available just in case he’s not wanting to eat. Also getting a probiotic to give for the first week would be wise because his digestion will be out of whack

Murrocity

Lairian
I couldn’t stop smiling when I picked Toly up. I was in heaven the whole way home.

My breeder handled most everything most everything about delivery and it was pretty smooth.

I will say, look to him not eating, drinking, or even eliminating during the travels. Toly did not feel well for several days after I got him because of this. Maybe have some chicken baby food available just in case he’s not wanting to eat. Also getting a probiotic to give for the first week would be wise because his digestion will be out of whack
Awww

Yes, well only be responsible for his pickup and travel to our house on the 23rd, which thankfully is only 1 1/2 hours give or take. And hell have some time in Texas to recoup after his plane trip before pickup day as well.

Thank you so much for this info! I'll be sure to look out for him.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Murrocity , retail therapy is wonderful while we wait. so excited for you.
each finds what works best for their babies.
Many breeders use royal canin baby cat and other rc products ( breeders often have discount loyalty programs for different brands I later learned).

my crew is on nutrisource cat and kitten food, (no recalls, I buy online), Hills and proplan for over a decade and doing great. never go to the vet for skin or poo issues.

(I buy cat dr elseys litter, supplies, toy, beds, cat, dog food with petco online pick up in store, (registered for pals rewards). they have 25% off in store pick up for purchases over$50 (even included rx food for my pup) saves alot :). builds up 5$ rewards can combine on purchases.

Murrocity

Lairian
@Murrocity , retail therapy is wonderful while we wait. so excited for you.
each finds what works best for their babies.
Many breeders use royal canin baby cat and other rc products ( breeders often have discount loyalty programs for different brands I later learned).

my crew is on nutrisource cat and kitten food, (no recalls, I buy online), Hills and proplan for over a decade and doing great. never go to the vet for skin or poo issues.

(I buy cat dr elseys litter, supplies, toy, beds, cat, dog food with petco online pick up in store, (registered for pals rewards). they have 25% off in store pick up for purchases over$50 (even included rx food for my pup) saves alot :). builds up 5$ rewards can combine on purchases.

Thanks Yoda mom! {=
We actually just finished scoping out Pet Smart today, and have decided Petco is the better option for a pet-supply store, so great to hear a good review about them!

Murrocity

Lairian
I realized I hadn't given an update in a while. :eek:
Lord Beerus has made it safely to his temporary caretakers in Texas (landed the 17th), and is coping well with them a travel companion he's had.
Today/over the next couple of days my SO and I will be getting the remaining care needs we need for him to prepare for #GotchaDay on the 23rd!

(You can keep up with future updates on his "Sphynxstagram"
@LordBeerus_TheBambino or his Facebook Page!)

VDon Klein

Lairian
Hello again fellow Lairians, and join me in celebrating some exciting news!

Last year, some of you may remember I was looking for general Sphynx-care info, Breeder info, and Vet recommendations.

Well, we finally met with a Breeder who some of my family are familiar with, and met with her kitties. To our joy, my SO didn't react to any of her kitties AT ALL -
even the ones with peach fur and/or small patches of fur on them!

So ~ so hello to our boy, Lord Beerus!

View attachment 103574 View attachment 103575

Deposit was made last weekend, and the Breeder just contacted me again today with a new pic (on the right) and to let me know she'd be working on setting up his transportation date, as he's currently in Russia and will need to come to the US before our official pick-up date.

I was wondering --
what sort of things should I prepare for with welcoming a kitty from out-of-country?

I'm not yet sure if the Breeder intends for me to arrive to pick up the same day he'll be arriving in the US, or if he'll have time at her Cattery to rest beforehand - and thought it'd be a good idea to get some info and prepare beforehand. I'm sure he's going to be tired from the travel, so I want to make sure I can keep him as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Esp since he'll also need a vet visit within 48 hours of me picking him up from the Breeder.

Also; are there any specific things I should ensure to do to make him more comfortable around the house as a Bambino?

I'll be doing some research om Bambinos specifically now that I know my boy is one, but I'd to hear what others who are experienced with them have to say.

I'm still excited. So much.
I can't wait to welcome him home.

p.s. - any advice/stories are welcome, truthfully!
I'm trying so hard to stay sane while I wait for him :sob:

Edit: I just realized, I received the 1 Year Anniversary Here at Sphynxlair trophy today! So crazy how things work like that! All the more excited now!
A tabby pattern, cool.

Back