Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Deppressed Kitten......

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on. I am due to pick up "powder" on Sunday but got a call today that he is not doing well. His brothers and sisters left this past weekend and now he resorted to not eating. She has taken him to the vets to get lots of testing done and they say there is nothing they can find wrong with him other than being depressed. So he is being hand fed and drinking pedialite. The vet says 50/50 whether he will make it or not. :Cry:

So I have the option to get deposit back,pick from another litter,or wait and see what happens with him. My concerns are if I wait for him, what if when I bring him home he sinks into the same depression? I would hate for that to happen!

We have had our hearts set on him and were all looking forward to making the drive up there to pick him up on Sunday. Now I may need to pick out another one. May end up paying more money as well as shipping because I want to make sure we find one we will love. Man I am so upset... Have any of you heard of this? Have they pulled though then gone to a new home fine? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

susi794

Staff member
OMG, poor little baby! I raise sphynx kittens and that has never happened to any of my kits when their siblings have gone to their forever homes --how old is he? If he won't eat on his own, how are they handfeeding him? If he will drink from a bottle, and wants it enough to take the bottle, seems funny that he won't eat anything else. Not sure what I would do--I'd want a few more questions answered. Let's hear what other folks think...

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He is 8 weeks old. He is being fed a high calorie food(she told me name but forgot) I guess the vets also have given him b12 shots to boost energy. Hes not playing or anything just lays there. She said he looks tired.

susi794

Staff member
I think 8 weeks old is too young to leave his mother--he would benefit from a few more weeks of nursing under the best of circumstances. I would be worried about an 8 week old kitten that just lays there and looks tired. Honestly, if it were me, I would get my deposit back and fall in love with another baby from a different breeder. I feel bad for this little kitten, but if he pulls through he will find another family to love him--and if he doesn't it would save you the heartbreak of losing him. It hurts more than you can imagine to watch one just fade away and to be unable to do a thing about it. And if you are starting out with a sickly kitten...well there are so many things out there ready to attack even the healthy ones, that I worry about him. That is my opinion--and only that. An opinion. Send a pm to PitRottMommy if she doesn't automatically answer this and ask her what she thinks--she's knowledgeable about a lot of feline health issues.
I will be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts toward little Powder's way. Keep us informed.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can't understand why his brothers and sisters have gone to their homes already? Arn't they too young at 8 weeks? I always believed that cats shouldn't leave their mothers/breeders for 12-13 weeks (Unless something happened to their mother ie rescue kittens). I wasn't allowed to bring Mo home untill 13 weeks and he was ready to leave. Maybe he is missing his siblings, maybe as he gets bigger he will improve? I hope so. Best wishes
Suzi do you rehome kittens? If so how old are they when they leave you?

Brooke

Banned
I can't understand why his brothers and sisters have gone to their homes already? Arn't they too young at 8 weeks? I always believed that cats shouldn't leave their mothers/breeders for 12-13 weeks (Unless something happened to their mother ie rescue kittens). I wasn't allowed to bring Mo home untill 13 weeks and he was ready to leave. Maybe he is missing his siblings, maybe as he gets bigger he will improve? I hope so. Best wishes
Suzi do you rehome kittens? If so how old are they when they leave you?

I agree - 8 weeks is far too young for him to be leaving, and it breaks my heart that his siblings have already left at that age. :Cry: 12-14 weeks is better, and that's if they are the proper weight. Some breeders hold on to them even longer if they don't seem emotionally ready to go yet or aren't big enough yet.

I agree with Susi, as much as I know you've already grown to love little Powder, if he's already sick at such a young age, I would recommend getting your deposit back and strongly consider going to a different breeder.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'm another vote for "too young". Shame on this breeder for sending these babies out so early in their lives. There's obviously already a streak of irresponsibility here...are you sure you want to take a kitten home from a place that's already shown you a glimpse of what you may have to endure for weeks, months of even years after purchase date because of the breeders irresponsible moves?

My breeder, who I totally did everything right that she had a hand in, didn't send her kitten out until they were 3 months of age. By then, they're fully developed, socialized and being ornery to (not dependant on!) Mom.

I will side note here to say that many of our forum members who've had sick or failing to thrive kittens have obtained them from irresponsible breeders who were milling out kittens at a young age, shipping sick kittens, weren't HCM scanning their breeding adults (and some young cats have been diagnosed with bad hearts or even heart failure), etc. I'd hate to see another member of our forum get sucked into a bad purchase that only ended in heart ache.

Take your money to someone who deserves the sale and will give you a healthy, spry kitten that will make you spend more money replacing the things its torn up in the house...than its vet bills because its sick and, eventually, will not make it. Support responsible breeding!

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
My first reaction was heartbreak for this little kitty. But the reality is that I feel angry about a breeder shipping off kittens so young. Did I understand correctly that this kitten is being shipped to you?

I say don't take the kitten now. Maybe wait and see if the kitty gets stronger and reevaluate in another month? I am thankful the breeder is offering your deposit back, but I'd proceed with caution. Best of luck in your decision.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I agree 8 weeks old is way too young for sphynx kittens to go home. We do not let our kittens go home until at least 12 weeks and a healthy weight and personality. I know first hand that there can be problems with kittens being sick or passing in the first 48 hrs, generally after this amount of time you will know if they make it or not. I would be weary of this kitten for now. It is up to you if you want to wait to see if the kitten gets better, I would not purchase the kitten if it was me, but please be cautious. Hope this helps.:Woo:

susi794

Staff member
I usually let mine go at around11- 12 weeks. But it always depends on the kitten: size, weight, activity level, independence and litter box habits. But it also depends on the experience level of the new owners. Less experience =more time with me.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sorry about the kitten being sick but that breeder has no right to let a kitten go to a home that young.
Can you please pm me the name of the breeder.
It may be one of the breeders that is unethical that I know of.
I would not get that kitten.
If he lives and you get him he could be sick and die.
You do not know how bad it feels when it happens.
Sadly I do.
It just happened to my sister last month with Ty.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone for the advice!!

I am definatly looking else where but dont really want to pay $1500 plus shipping. Yes I have the money to do so but dont want to spend that much.

Powder was not going to be shipped I was going to pick him up.

Is there anyone on here who may have any kittens? We would prefer a seal point but open to any cute kittens:BigSmile: I would really like to be able to get him/her before christmas.

Thanks again everyone!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think Wrinles breeder might have some kittens right now but theu are 1800with shipping.
Wrinles was seal/white but she turned into seal tortie and white.
Do you want her info?

Brooke

Banned

I am definatly looking else where but dont really want to pay $1500 plus shipping. Yes I have the money to do so but dont want to spend that much.

Is there anyone on here who may have any kittens? We would prefer a seal point but open to any cute kittens:BigSmile: I would really like to be able to get him/her before christmas.

Thanks again everyone!!

I'm also in Tampa Bay...I know two local breeders who have kittens. Not sure if either of them have seal points, but PM me if you want info. They are local, so you wouldn't have to pay shipping, and I know both of them scans their cats for HCM. :ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just be careful a breeder in forida lied tomy sister about a rex and she breeds sphynx also.
Lets just say she may be sued.

PitRottMommy

Banned

Thanks again everyone!!

The most important thing here should be health, not price. Price is the first thing that will get you in to trouble; cheap kittens will come from parents that haven't received decent veterinary care, haven't been HCM screened, have transmissible diseases,etc ...in short, your risk of getting a very ill kitten (even if it appears healthy to begin with) is pretty good when you want one that is cheap.

I'll send you a personal message regarding a breeder that I would recommend.

gizmo6370

Banned
I agree....8 weeks is far too young....my kittens didn't leave until they where at least13 weeks old....any time sooner.....is a no go :ThumbsDown:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good luck on finding a new healthy kitten. You're definitely doing the right thing going elsewhere.

zoes mom

Lairian
this sounds to me like a possible bad reaction to a vaccination from the vet? I have a siamese tabby point who's litter mate had a bad reaction and would'nt eat and breeder said almost didn't make it. She told me it's why she waits to give vaccinations when they are a little older. If this breeder( sorry for a repeat answer) but like everyone else say's Knows anything about these types of cats she would know they take a little longer for they're immune systems to mature and are sensitive. they shouldn't leave mom/home till about 12wks. I got my kitten after her laser spay and she was fully recovered bout 16wks. Very sorry to hear you're sad story it's must be crushing I know. best of luck to you!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you to all of you!! I really appreciate it. I informed the initial breeder I just wanted the deposit back and havent heard from her. So we shall see on that.

I have searched hi and low today to find what I am looking for and not focusing on price :) And much to my suprise there is only 1 breeder that has one that I love. He is a seal point. I also have another breeder local who may or may not have 1 white odd eye male. They are both very nice and I like the local aspect but I just love the seal point as well!! What shall I do? Get both:Woo: Not my husband would kill me! lol

Well I will keep everyone posted! Thanks again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thank you to all of you!! I really appreciate it. I informed the initial breeder I just wanted the deposit back and havent heard from her. So we shall see on that.

I have searched hi and low today to find what I am looking for and not focusing on price :) And much to my suprise there is only 1 breeder that has one that I love. may not have 1 white odd eye male. They are both very nice and I like the local aspect but I just love the seal point as well!! What shall I do? Get both:Woo: Not my husband would kill me! lol

Well I will keep everyone posted! Thanks again!!!

I would not go with a breeder that does not HCM screen. I only see one of their multitude of breeding cats that has been scanned negative. Unless they have negative reports on the parents of the cat you like, I would highly advise going elsewhere. Breeding cats on the cheap is no way to guarantee health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back