Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Depression cat?

AlliZ103

Lairian
Hi everyone!
My little cat is about 1 and a half now. Shes amazing and cute! Unfortunately I live in a house were it gets cold at night.
I get worried about her so I keep a light sweater on her.
In the morning I take it off and she runs around like CRAZY and we play!
But 7ish i put it back on and she becomes a different cat. Goes into her bed...cuddles me...or wants space.

My question is: am I messing up? I don't want her to get depressed.
But i also don't want her to freeze.
She walks around fine and eats and drinks and toilets but don't play.
What do you think?

Thank you!
AZ

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm not sure when you say it gets cold how cold you mean. I've noticed that if the temperature inside goes below 70 my cats will stay buried under blankets.

I think a sweater is a good idea and you could also leave heated beds in rooms that you want to entice her to spend time.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes they don’t play or run in the clothes. Also always watch in clothes their back legs can get stuck.

You can buy a hot pack too or sleeping bags for cats which are nice.

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My little 6 month old boys is exactly the same. Take off his clothing and he is as free and crazy as can be. I put his clothing on and he calms down. I have found certain styles of clothing are so much more comfortable for him. He still runs around with them on. I now am making his clothing and found the raglan sleeve a comfortable fit and he is at ease now with it on.
Mind you he always has clothing on as it has been cold here for the last 3 months.

Lady isla

Lairian
Hi everyone!
My little cat is about 1 and a half now. Shes amazing and cute! Unfortunately I live in a house were it gets cold at night.
I get worried about her so I keep a light sweater on her.
In the morning I take it off and she runs around like CRAZY and we play!
But 7ish i put it back on and she becomes a different cat. Goes into her bed...cuddles me...or wants space.

My question is: am I messing up? I don't want her to get depressed.
But i also don't want her to freeze.
She walks around fine and eats and drinks and toilets but don't play.
What do you think?

Thank you!
AZ
My little girl Wensdae is about six months now, and is the same way, if I dress her, she is very calm, likes to cuddle or sleep in her bed, when she is naked she runs around like ricochet rabbit. She doesn’t seem depressed though, just more active naked. She loves being naked! I rarely dress her now, she has grown out of my socks, so I’ll have to start cutting up Daddy’s socks for her once the snow flies. i Think if she is eating and drinking, she is fine, probably just sulking... but I am a new Sphinx mom and an full of questions myself, so this is simply an opinion. Good luck and Blessed be.

Notsofluffy

Lairian
Eddie is exactly the same!!!
He’s nearly a year old now and he is a little psycho naked and a completely chilled out kitty when wearing a shirt. Due to being in such a hot climate we have aircon on 8 months of the year and the other 4 are freezing so he lives most of the time in clothes.
We just make sure he gets naked breaks, but he seems happy :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
My girl was always the same. She wanted to be in my arms and loved on when she was wearing a shirt.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

gollumthesphynx

Lairian
Yes, my boy is the same.

Extremely unimpressed when I pull out the sweater.

We're based in Montreal - so you bet it gets below freezing and stays until Mid-April.

It's something I worry about too - so I usually just put it on him when he's ready for his naps. And take it off of him when he's about to eat and/or play.

Lady isla

Lairian
Yes, my boy is the same.

Extremely unimpressed when I pull out the sweater.

We're based in Montreal - so you bet it gets below freezing and stays until Mid-April.

It's something I worry about too - so I usually just put it on him when he's ready for his naps. And take it off of him when he's about to eat and/or play.
Well I live in NewHampshire, so it’s cold here too, lol. I feel my two babies are pretty comfortable temp wise. I was worried because I don’t like HOT! Maybe it’s hot flashes, but I should be over that by now! But I don’t keep my home much above 70.they seem comfortable naked, in my room, it is only about 60 so they climb under the blankets. I feel they will let me know if they are uncomfortable, I just need to listen.... Have a Purrrrfect day, Blessed be.

Lady isla

Lairian
My little girl Wensdae is about six months now, and is the same way, if I dress her, she is very calm, likes to cuddle or sleep in her bed, when she is naked she runs around like ricochet rabbit. She doesn’t seem depressed though, just more active naked. She loves being naked! I rarely dress her now, she has grown out of my socks, so I’ll have to start cutting up Daddy’s socks for her once the snow flies. i Think if she is eating and drinking, she is fine, probably just sulking... but I am a new Sphinx mom and an full of questions myself, so this is simply an opinion. Good luck and Blessed be.
sorry! Also it sounds like your little girl is associating the sweater with bed time.... isn’t that cute!

Lady isla

Lairian
These are my babies today, when I put Drogo sweater on, I initially used the leg straps, he immediately fell to his side and was unable to move,LMAO! He laced there and glared at me until I took them off, than he got up and followed me to Wensdae.
1EEF47F0-3516-4F1B-89E8-543A89259BA9.jpeg

Back