Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Designing Cat Trees!

JojoCatMama

Lairian
Hi everyone! So it appears my hubby is slowly but surely getting used to the idea of our future cat (he's more of a dog person...for now).

After searching for cat trees online, which are all expensive and mostly ugly, he came up with the idea that we just make our own.

So this is what I came up with ⬇️ and he claims he could realistically make them all! (As a woodworker I trust him to come up with the physics).

What do you think? Has anyone made their own cat trees successfully?

IMG_5226.JPG

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I actually thought about making my own. As I looked into the cost of the materials, I found purchasing one was actually cheaper. I found one I liked and waited for it to go on sale. It was 60% off the original price and would have cost me the original price to build it myself. Then figuring in the time...it was worth the purchase price.
But good luck...I'd love to see your design when it's done!

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cool ideas. I wish I was creative. Cat shelves are about as creative as I get in thatI department. Ive seen tons of cool designs out there so I'm sure you can find plenty of inspiration. I agree with @Maddie about the base. My biggest issues with a lot of tower designs is that they simply aren't sturdy enough.

Jynxified

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We have made several mostly for outside so we got away with tree trimmings and such. My daughter now19 has a play house / dollhouse that is about 1.5-2 feet and 3.5 feet high made of plywood and pine. We are going to make the cats a new cat tree using the playhouse as the cats are often on or in it anyway. It is going to be a bit yet, but when we get around to it I will be sure to post pictures. You can make cat trees for less if you are thrifty as you can get carpet ends and such. warped wood, construction site scraps. ect. plus a home made one can be refitted usually a lot easier than the store bought ones. it is miserable trying to get the old carpet and staples out to install new carpet. Your trees look awesome.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My spouse and I.....haha who am I kidding... My spouse built one last summer, WAY cheaper than buying one (it also helps that my spouse has unlimited supply to free lumber ;)

We got a few rolls of twine or whatever for the two spots, and a few feet of rope from Home Depot and then two different carpets
and such, I think all in all it was maybe $100 spent and its very tall and sturdy
Its just carpeting the tower after that takes sooooooo long!!

Here is a few different pics of it so you can get the full effect:
20160929_195626.jpg

20170421_064818.jpg

20161116_170744.jpg

(this pic is from Petes first birthday so dont mind him and the decorations hehe)

JojoCatMama

Lairian
I actually thought about making my own. As I looked into the cost of the materials, I found purchasing one was actually cheaper. I found one I liked and waited for it to go on sale. It was 60% off the original price and would have cost me the original price to build it myself. Then figuring in the time...it was worth the purchase price.
But good luck...I'd love to see your design when it's done!
Woah it was cheaper? That's a great find! Maybe I'll need 2 :)

JojoCatMama

Lairian
My spouse and I.....haha who am I kidding... My spouse built one last summer, WAY cheaper than buying one (it also helps that my spouse has unlimited supply to free lumber ;)

We got a few rolls of twine or whatever for the two spots, and a few feet of rope from Home Depot and then two different carpets
and such, I think all in all it was maybe $100 spent and its very tall and sturdy
Its just carpeting the tower after that takes sooooooo long!!

Here is a few different pics of it so you can get the full effect:
View attachment 77953

View attachment 77954

View attachment 77955
(this pic is from Petes first birthday so dont mind him and the decorations hehe)
Wow that looks so nice! I love the idea of customizing it. Also it looks like your cats love it.
I still have a few months to go till kitty comes home, so carpeting might be a good time-killer.

JojoCatMama

Lairian
We have made several mostly for outside so we got away with tree trimmings and such. My daughter now19 has a play house / dollhouse that is about 1.5-2 feet and 3.5 feet high made of plywood and pine. We are going to make the cats a new cat tree using the playhouse as the cats are often on or in it anyway. It is going to be a bit yet, but when we get around to it I will be sure to post pictures. You can make cat trees for less if you are thrifty as you can get carpet ends and such. warped wood, construction site scraps. ect. plus a home made one can be refitted usually a lot easier than the store bought ones. it is miserable trying to get the old carpet and staples out to install new carpet. Your trees look awesome.
Wow so cool! I love the idea of getting carpet scraps. For now we are planning on PVC pipes (which I didn't know come in different widths) and plywood. And something heavy for the base.

Roki

Lairian
We were looking for cat tree materials as well and came across some old speaker boxes. We were going to reconstruct them or wrap them with carpet, but we found out that the cats really like that short fuzzy material that's already wrapped and glued to it. They claw the crap out of it & no mess! Also, Velcro sticks very well to it. So we now have three and they seem to really like them.
31f109b7edc257e74ff0d4160a2700a2.jpg
f92fe786c8bebb43e1fc93b69caf85ff.jpg
ddb5a9e6790a3b700069f5f4df7acaf0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Woah it was cheaper? That's a great find! Maybe I'll need 2 :)

Yea The price I was looking at for building my own was about $140...unlike lucky @Mal I don't have access to any free lumber so I would have had to purchase everything. I bought one for under $75.
81w917LJGqL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

It's very sturdy and Buck LOVES it! Especially the little round hammock that juts off to the side.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yea The price I was looking at for building my own was about $140...unlike lucky @Mal I don't have access to any free lumber so I would have had to purchase everything. I bought one for under $75.
View attachment 77958
It's very sturdy and Buck LOVES it! Especially the little round hammock that juts off to the side.

That is a great deal. Looks good to.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Your designs are great. The only thing I'll mention is that Sphynx LOVE to be up high, so make sure one of the trees almost reaches the ceiling. My Max will sit on the topmost perch of ours and then stand up and stretch his front paws just so they touch the ceiling. LOL

Min, using a tree perch to lean up on a window.
18096067_1952041838415776_1267730043467988992_n.jpg

Max, holding up the ceiling on the tree by our kitchen (they like to watch me cook ha ha).
ceiling.jpg

This setup is at my living room sliding window. It's two cat trees position together. They love tearing up and down them.
17661950_1802850780032972_178225354484219904_n.jpg

A bit of a better view.
17437562_272455183177792_918377966252064768_n.jpg

When we first got these.
14624238_227517914346691_4793036051813761024_n.jpg

Please post pics of yours when complete!!!

JojoCatMama

Lairian
Your designs are great. The only thing I'll mention is that Sphynx LOVE to be up high, so make sure one of the trees almost reaches the ceiling. My Max will sit on the topmost perch of ours and then stand up and stretch his front paws just so they touch the ceiling. LOL

Min, using a tree perch to lean up on a window.
View attachment 78034

Max, holding up the ceiling on the tree by our kitchen (they like to watch me cook ha ha).
View attachment 78035

This setup is at my living room sliding window. It's two cat trees position together. They love tearing up and down them.
View attachment 78036

A bit of a better view.
View attachment 78037

When we first got these.
View attachment 78038

Please post pics of yours when complete!!!
I like the idea of getting two and putting them next to each other! Genius! Max is too cute

JojoCatMama

Lairian
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
Update: my sister just got a new cat tree for her cat and I helped assemble it. It's the 62" from Petco, "You & Me" brand.

It was fairly easy to assemble (took about an hour total) and it seems pretty sturdy! It wobbles a bit but nothing crazy and it's making me think buying might be the way to go... 6-month-old Luna LOVES it!

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Update: my sister just got a new cat tree for her cat and I helped assemble it. It's the 62" from Petco, "You & Me" brand.

It was fairly easy to assemble (took about an hour total) and it seems pretty sturdy! It wobbles a bit but nothing crazy and it's making me think buying might be the way to go... 6-month-old Luna LOVES it!

Try Chewy.com and wayfair.com the prices are far more reasonable.

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oooooo i just checked these sites out. wow the prices are much better than Amazon. sweet new places to shop and spoil my cats. thanks you are such an awesome enabler lol.

Well we spoil them anyway...at least now we are SAVING $$ :ROFLMAO:(y);)

Back