Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Devastated!Rabbi passed with no sign of Congestive Heart Failure-Have questions :-(

SphynxMom1993

Lairian
Rabbi passed away on August 12. We had gone on a short trip to Biloxi MS. She LOVES to travel and watch cars. We got to the motel and she got on back of couch explored, ate, acted totally normal etc. Friday morning she was breathing deep and fast so we took her to the ER. They made an xray and said cancer or an infection and her lungs were collapsed and fluid. They gave a long acting antibiotic and steroid shot and sent home Lasix, Doxycycline and Norvasc as said her blood pressure was up a little. I paid for them to send the xray to LSU and they finally called that evening and said Congestive Heart Failure and enlarged heart. Rabbi got up and pooped and started breathing heavy again and I called bringing her back and wanted a Lasix shot. They put her in the oxygen cage and we stayed by her. She used litter box, ate, drank and was doing great. My Daughter took me back to the hotel to get my stuff as I was staying night with Rabbi. I got back and she was doing great and ate more, used litter box etc. They didn't let me go back again for 1 1/2 hours and said she was doing great. I walked in and she was on her side, didn't get up and was looking like where have you been. I told them something was wrong, she couldn't walk good. The vet said she was just tired as had been active. I said no something is wrong. They said vitals were fine, I called Kimber and said what was going on and I thought was bad off. Her veins were red on outside of her ears and I'm guessing she had a stroke. She fought passing and was hugging Kimber and reaching for me. Looks like they would have drawn fluid off her lungs. It's killing us. We never stayed the night away from her and I was always with her except maybe 3 hours in a day. I'm upset as steroids can make Congestive Heart Failure worse.

Also, we took her to UT Vet School in Knoxville in 2013 and they said no Cardiomyopathy and heart in good shape. How long does it take their heart to enlarge? She had no heart murmur. This ER and online said HCM most likely cause for CHF. IF SO, Echo was wrong and they claimed they don't get it after 8 years old at UT. Have you heard/seen that steroid shots often make a cat with CHF die? Does anyone have any idea to these two worries?

Her labs were perfect and no sign at all anything was wrong. We did the raw food diet for 11 or 12 years. We feel dead, lost and crushed... I'm going to post to group too. Rabbi would have been 17 on January 6, 2018. She was more human than most humans... We've snuck her in to more hotels. My Daughter never stayed a night away from her until 2015. My heart and souls crushed. Sad she is our last Sphynx. Can't go through that again :-( Thanks for any answers. Has anyone had this happen after echo showed fine? Excuse typos as crying. Thanks! Kim

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't have any knowledge with these diseases, but, I'm very sorry for your loss.
We are never ready for this no matter their age. The best thing She and your family
had the best 17 yrs. together. Prayers for comfort and peace.

Roki

Lairian
So sorry to hear this story. My girl is still young but her last scan showed thickening, without any enlargement, so this is something I will eventually need to deal with as well. There are lots of experienced owners here, so I'm glad you posted. Sorry I can't offer any advice at this time, but wanted to send virtual hugs your way, at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very sorry for your loss. I had a Siamese cat that was being treated for lymphoma and kidney disease. then suddenly she developed CHF. It was the 2nd time she had cancer (first time we were able to put it in remission) and she had been getting by on one kidney for a long time, but when CHF happened she didn't last a week. Of course kidney disease and CHF need exactly the opposite treatment so it's just impossible but not even a week....I was crushed. But here's the thing, first no one should think it's only Sphynx that get CHF; it can be any breed. Most importantly, you gave Rabbi a great life for 18 years. I feel your pain though. God bless.

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
01efda1dc730bd2bb68a825dfc4ec838.jpg

So deeply sorry for your loss. Sending peaceful healing prayers your way!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I am so sorry. Our boy had a stage 2 murmur as a kitten. We scanned regularly. At around 11 he was diagnosed with HCM. He passed at age 13. He too was breathing odd not hard, just odd so we brought him in. Vet said we caught CHF very early stage. Said drop him off so they can get the fluid off and will call me to let me know how he responds to meds. A couple of hours later our vet called and said he was responding well and come back in a couple of hours to get him. 1/2 hour later the vet called and said there was a huge unexpected turn and we needed to get there. We got there in time and asked the vet to help let him go so he could get his wings. So yes, it can happen quickly.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So very sorry for the loss of your girl Rabbi. My heart breaks for you. Try to keep the good memories close in your heart. Hugs

SphynxMom1993

Lairian
I am so sorry. Our boy had a stage 2 murmur as a kitten. We scanned regularly. At around 11 he was diagnosed with HCM. He passed at age 13. He too was breathing odd not hard, just odd so we brought him in. Vet said we caught CHF very early stage. Said drop him off so they can get the fluid off and will call me to let me know how he responds to meds. A couple of hours later our vet called and said he was responding well and come back in a couple of hours to get him. 1/2 hour later the vet called and said there was a huge unexpected turn and we needed to get there. We got there in time and asked the vet to help let him go so he could get his wings. So yes, it can happen quickly.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. Rabbi didn't have a heart murmur or anything. Is Cardiomyopathy the only thing that causes heart failure in them? Her thyroid and all labs were perfect. So sorry for your loss too. I can't even function or talk for crying and can't sleep as she's not in bed :-( Thanks! Kim
QUOTE="Lynn W, post: 487352, member: 12966"]My deepest sympathies.
View attachment 80191[/QUOTE]

SphynxMom1993

Lairian
So sorry to hear this story. My girl is still young but her last scan showed thickening, without any enlargement, so this is something I will eventually need to deal with as well. There are lots of experienced owners here, so I'm glad you posted. Sorry I can't offer any advice at this time, but wanted to send virtual hugs your way, at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh no, I'm so sorry your cat has thickening. Wonder if CoQ10 would help keeping it from progressing? It sure helped my Aunt and Stepdad. Thanks Kim

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SphynxMom1993 ,
Kim and family, my heart breaks for your loss of your friend Rabbi.
I wish the big hug I am sending could ease your pain..
No time is ever enough
Rabbi knows love because of you and your family and took that love with her on angel wings.
What an extraordinary girl

(((Comforting hugs to you and your family) during this difficult time

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. "
-from poem for cats

Fly free sweet Rabbi
You truly live in hearts forever and ever
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@SphynxMom1993 I know all too well how hard it is to function after the loss. I cried so hard and my boy slept in my arms every night too, so sleeping was difficult. You have all of us to help you during this difficult time.
Only 50% of cats with murmurs ever develop HCM. That is why it is devastating for those that don't hear a murmur but develop it as they had no warning and no indication there was even an issue. Scanning is really the only way to tell if there are issues with the heart. Reputable breeders are now scanning their breeding cats yearly in hopes to keep their breeding lines clear of HCM. Older cats are susceptible to heart disease just like in adult humans.

Here are some other causes of congestive heart failure I looked up for you, but the main cause in cats is HCM.

Taken from an article:
Though many conditions can lead to congestive heart failure in cats, one of the more common causes is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. In this condition, the muscular walls of the heart become so thickened that they are unable to stretch and fill with adequate amounts of blood to pump to the body. As a result, fluid will back up into or surround the lungs, making breathing difficult. Fluid may also back up into the abdomen, but this is less common in cats than in dogs who suffer similar cardiac conditions.

Other causes of congestive heart failure in cats include:

Hyperthyroidism

High blood pressure
Heart valve deficiencies or blockages
Defects in the heart walls
Fluid in the sac surrounding the heart
Blood clots within the heart
Heart rhythm abnormalities
Heartworm disease
Tumors
Anemia (low numbers of red blood cells)
Pregnancy
Congestive heart failure can occur at any age, in any breed, and in cats of any gender, but it happens most often in middle-aged to older cats.

You and I were very fortunate to have our babies into their senior years. No matter whether they are with us a week, a year or 15 years, it never seems long enough. They are forever in our hearts.

Patti

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you so much. My heart is crushed and house is so lonely. Thanks! Kim

I know the feeling, we had a 6 month old Great Dane pup who died in my husband's arms of a heart attack. It was the worst day of our lives. I still get emotional when I see Great Danes Your baby will always be in your hear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elizabethclicks

Lairian
I'm so devastated for the loss of your beautiful Rabbi... my baby Clicks is 1.5 years old now & almost died from lack of calcium.... i'm so sad that with these breeds vets just don't know... i really feel your pain, we lost our 16 year old white Siamese 4 months ago & still devastated but these little ones really... get close to your heart... you really loved him & looked after him, Clicks is super healthy, big boy, he has had his HCM scan done 6 months ago, will look at feeding him CoQ10 supplement too to help his heart be healthy.... we are blessed with them... sending you much love from australia.... : (

liz & Clicks