Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Deworming Protocols

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
A friend is a vet tech and has given me some information regarding deworming, which has given me pause for consideration. I'm hoping for some feedback in relation to what you know, have done, our nakeds etc.

Thanks much.

What do you use and how often do you deworm?

My friend claims that at deworming is necessary at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 wks with Strongid-t then 12, 14, 16 wks with Milbemax.

Then she sent me this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/instance/1800965/

I realize deworming is necessary, but I don’t want to do anything to compromise Max’s health (i.e. too many meds).

Thoughts?

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I can't say as I've dewormed after kittenhood, but when we got the new kittens at 10 weeks, we did give them a couple more doses of Panacur that the breeder provided us. That was given at about 13 and 16 weeks. We haven't given them more since and they're 7 months old now.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have never even given it a second thought... the breeder took care of it before they came home at 12 weeks. We were never told to give them any other doses by the breeder or the many vets that we have seen.

I read the linked article briefly... I didn't realize that things like giardia could be prevented by deworming. I guess that would make sense why some have had issues with it when they have brought home new kittens.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I heard from my awesome breeder and she said:

Strongid at 4 weeks and then again 10 days later. Then milbamax at 8, 12, and 16 weeks. Then i recommend every 3 months. Some people do it every 6 months. It really depends on so many factors. When you do vaccines for Max, after you get him in 4 weeks, give his last dose and then you are good until you neuter him.

I do trust my breeder implicitly, so it was great to have this breakdown! It's not that different my friend, the vet tech.

Therefore, I'm feeling pretty good about the deworming routine!

Thanks, all, for entertaining my agonizing about so many little things! :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
A friend is a vet tech and has given me some information regarding deworming, which has given me pause for consideration. I'm hoping for some feedback in relation to what you know, have done, our nakeds etc.

Thanks much.

What do you use and how often do you deworm?

My friend claims that at deworming is necessary at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 wks with Strongid-t then 12, 14, 16 wks with Milbemax.

Then she sent me this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/instance/1800965/

I realize deworming is necessary, but I don’t want to do anything to compromise Max’s health (i.e. too many meds).

Thoughts?

I have never even given it a second thought... the breeder took care of it before they came home at 12 weeks. We were never told to give them any other doses by the breeder or the many vets that we have seen.

I read the linked article briefly... I didn't realize that things like giardia could be prevented by deworming. I guess that would make sense why some have had issues with it when they have brought home new kittens.

If my memory serves me correctly, we dewormed at 6 weeks, then finished the bottle, between 2, 3 or 4 more applications about a week or so apart. I have never heard of deworming meds being used to treat Giardia, its different bug. If your cat is indoors with no contact with outdoor cats, the risk of worms in slim to none. :)

JennaJoy

Lairian
I was never told by my breeder to deworm my girl! She is my first Sphynx and first kitten. I had no idea! We got her earlier than normal and we have had her for 2 months and she has never once been dewormed! Could this explain why, suddenly, she doesn't want to eat? We just thought, perhaps, it was her teeth hurting because I was told they start to lose teeth around 4 months old. She is 15 weeks right now. Any advice would be appreciated!