Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Diagnosed w HCM need medication advice

BronAndRaj

Lairian
My two year old sweetheart sphynx just got diagnosed with HCM. It's not too extreme but it's noticeable... Our vet prescribed Lotensin/Benazepril however side effects include kidney damage so I'm hesitant to begin him on it right away. A lot of sphynx owners with babies who also have HCM say they give them atenolol and I want to get some advice on how that's worked for some people or what other medications have helped. I'm trying my best to stay positive but I can't stop thinking of his little life being shortened. It's breaking my heart. I want to give him the longest happiest life possible and I am so torn on how to do so. Please offer suggestions!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so sorry for him and you. I can't help you, but, there are people
here going through or has went through the same thing.
They will chime in.
Will pray for your baby and you.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I am sorry to hear of this. We have a couple of members experiencing the same with their babies and are successful with meds. @zoinks might have some words of wisdom to share as well as @ZiggyStardust.

Patti

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry you've heard the dreaded diagnosis. My Cornish Rex, Ash, was diagnosed with HOCM (obstructive HCM) when we adopted him at 6 years old. He had a 4/5 murmur when we were sent for the first echo. He was placed on atenolol at that time. A year later there was a little bit of progression, so enalapril and aspirin (later changed to plavix) was added. He is now 12 and has had stable readings and his murmur had dropped to a 2 for the last couple of years until his latest in September where there had been some progression again. They didn't change his meds though, just a recheck in 6 months (this March). He is also still not showing any symptoms other than the murmur. I know there've been studies (or a study) put out lately that say that atenolol doesn't make a difference, so I don't know for sure if it's actually been helping or if it's been the enalapril, but I'm not going to stop giving either to him. Of course, I also can't say it'd definitely help your baby, but just sharing what's been prescribed for Ash and how he's doing. ::HUGS:: to you!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear about your baby's heart. It's super that you found the trouble early and can start treating him. Will be thinking about your boy. Please keep us updated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
((Hugs))) to you and your boy- I am so sorry to hear of his HCM diagnosis-
Meds can be very helpful in a treatment plan started early to lead a long life.
Many of us have experienced HCM with our babies and truly understand .
We are all here for you and your boy-
Keep positive! Sending you good lair vibes for your boy!

MissBuny

Lairian
I had a HCM positive boy who was prescribed atenolol. He was on about 6mg twice a day from the age of one. He unfortunately passed away age 4yrs and 8months. Atenolol can cause a thickening of the heart muscle with prolonged use.