Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Diagnosed w HCM need medication advice

BronAndRaj

Lairian
My two year old sweetheart sphynx just got diagnosed with HCM. It's not too extreme but it's noticeable... Our vet prescribed Lotensin/Benazepril however side effects include kidney damage so I'm hesitant to begin him on it right away. A lot of sphynx owners with babies who also have HCM say they give them atenolol and I want to get some advice on how that's worked for some people or what other medications have helped. I'm trying my best to stay positive but I can't stop thinking of his little life being shortened. It's breaking my heart. I want to give him the longest happiest life possible and I am so torn on how to do so. Please offer suggestions!

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry you've heard the dreaded diagnosis. My Cornish Rex, Ash, was diagnosed with HOCM (obstructive HCM) when we adopted him at 6 years old. He had a 4/5 murmur when we were sent for the first echo. He was placed on atenolol at that time. A year later there was a little bit of progression, so enalapril and aspirin (later changed to plavix) was added. He is now 12 and has had stable readings and his murmur had dropped to a 2 for the last couple of years until his latest in September where there had been some progression again. They didn't change his meds though, just a recheck in 6 months (this March). He is also still not showing any symptoms other than the murmur. I know there've been studies (or a study) put out lately that say that atenolol doesn't make a difference, so I don't know for sure if it's actually been helping or if it's been the enalapril, but I'm not going to stop giving either to him. Of course, I also can't say it'd definitely help your baby, but just sharing what's been prescribed for Ash and how he's doing. ::HUGS:: to you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
((Hugs))) to you and your boy- I am so sorry to hear of his HCM diagnosis-
Meds can be very helpful in a treatment plan started early to lead a long life.
Many of us have experienced HCM with our babies and truly understand .
We are all here for you and your boy-
Keep positive! Sending you good lair vibes for your boy!

MissBuny

Lairian
I had a HCM positive boy who was prescribed atenolol. He was on about 6mg twice a day from the age of one. He unfortunately passed away age 4yrs and 8months. Atenolol can cause a thickening of the heart muscle with prolonged use.

Back