Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Diagnosed with mast cell disease and enlarged heart...now skin problems

Blackcat1313

Lairian
Hi all,
I've been debating posting this as it's pretty devastating to me and my boyfriend. We adopted Fuggles together, so she's very much our "baby." A little over a year ago she was diagnosed with splenic mast cell disease and an enlarged heart. Her last health check and x-ray showed both had progressed pretty rapidly. She is in surprisingly good spirits, nothing changing until about 2 weeks ago. We found some pencil eraser sized sores on her back, and she was scratching her neck until she was bloody. I took her to a vet and he isn't sure if the mast cells have surfaced (typical of the disease) or if it's an allergy of some sort. She was given a shot of Convenia, gets Silvadine cream on the affected areas twice daily, and chlor-trimeton 1/2 tab twice daily. She is 10 years old.
She has been on her treatment for just over a week. Her sores now resemble cigarette burns. I won't bathe her, but I have gently wiped her down once since she was pretty dirty. She is one of the calmest, sweetest, most relaxed cats I've ever owned. She wouldn't bite unless I had a treat in my hand and my skin was in the way.
I'm hoping to get some feedback--has anyone had, or currently have,experience with MCT/MCD (mast cell tumors or disease)? I've read several articles, but no real life experience. Thanks for reading. Fugz thanks you too.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't know anything about MCT/MCD
But, I would let him know you wanted to know what it is.
A blood test drawing the blood will show anything & everything
she could be allergic to.
I don't know if it has anything to do with her other health issue.
Keep us updated. Do you have any pics you can share?
Of the sores.
How often was you bathing her? What did you use?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am hoping it was just a one off allergic reaction to something. We see lots of allergic bumps etc around the neck/head area because of them rubbing in things. I don't recall a specific member who had experience with MCT/MCD, but let's hope someone will chime in.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,
I've been debating posting this as it's pretty devastating to me and my boyfriend. We adopted Fuggles together, so she's very much our "baby." A little over a year ago she was diagnosed with splenic mast cell disease and an enlarged heart. Her last health check and x-ray showed both had progressed pretty rapidly. She is in surprisingly good spirits, nothing changing until about 2 weeks ago. We found some pencil eraser sized sores on her back, and she was scratching her neck until she was bloody. I took her to a vet and he isn't sure if the mast cells have surfaced (typical of the disease) or if it's an allergy of some sort. She was given a shot of Convenia, gets Silvadine cream on the affected areas twice daily, and chlor-trimeton 1/2 tab twice daily. She is 10 years old.
She has been on her treatment for just over a week. Her sores now resemble cigarette burns. I won't bathe her, but I have gently wiped her down once since she was pretty dirty. She is one of the calmest, sweetest, most relaxed cats I've ever owned. She wouldn't bite unless I had a treat in my hand and my skin was in the way.
I'm hoping to get some feedback--has anyone had, or currently have,experience with MCT/MCD (mast cell tumors or disease)? I've read several articles, but no real life experience. Thanks for reading. Fugz thanks you too.
Hello - sorry to hear this, can you are a few pictures of the skin sores?

Rhianne

Lairian
So sorry to hear your baby isn't doing so well. My thoughts are with you and your partner in such trying times, and I hope and pray Fuggles remains in good spirits. Wish I had something to contribute to this search for answers.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi all,

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this with your baby. I had a k-9 with Mast Cell Tumors. They were all external however. They were diagnosed by taking a needle aspirate and sent for cytology, once the cytology results were back and confirmed as MCT we had to have surgery to remove them and get the grade 0-1 is ok but 2-4 they recommend chemotherapy to treat. Luckily for my guy he had only grade 0 and 1 for both of his.

May I ask how they were diagnosed as MCT? Did she have an Ultrasound with guided biopsies as they are affecting her spleen? Usually they are monitored and/or recommended to go to surgery for removal of the spleen in dogs. But due to her age and heart I doubt that is an option for surgery.

Can you possibly post a picture of the sores? From what you are describing it sounds like a skin irritation rather that the MCT spreading.

Hugs to you and Fuggles!

Blackcat1313

Lairian
Thank you for all of your replies and concern! I really appreciate it The splenic mast cell disease was found during an ultrasound. We chose to pass on the surgery as it is very costly (over $3500 USD) and wouldn't guarantee her quality of life. Upon finding her enlarged heart, she probably wouldn't survive the surgery; if that didn't kill her the chemo would. The vet is surprised she is doing so well (eating, drinking, no vomiting/diarrhea, no coughing, etc.).

I used Earthbath hypo-allergenic cat shampoo, diluted with water. It's super gentle. I only bathe her once a month, twice if it's really hot outside. I normally wipe her feet 2-3 times a week with plain water and gauze or a cotton pad since she gets yucky toes. She gets a little rub down with vitamin E oil and/or coconut oil afterwards. No chemicals used in our home except laundry--all unscented.

MCT/MCD has a tendency to spread outside the body, but my vet isn't sure. I am concerned it's that, or an allergy. If it's food, I'm willing to give that a try! Vet thinks allergy testing isn't reliable...anyway. I can only post one photo, my internet connection is wonky at the moment. Sorry for the novel!

Again, thanks for reading and posting.
--Becca
Edit:photo taken today, 1 week after treatment began.

Attachments

• IMG_4433.JPG
    IMG_4433.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 112

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for all of your replies and concern! I really appreciate it The splenic mast cell disease was found during an ultrasound. We chose to pass on the surgery as it is very costly (over $3500 USD) and wouldn't guarantee her quality of life. Upon finding her enlarged heart, she probably wouldn't survive the surgery; if that didn't kill her the chemo would. The vet is surprised she is doing so well (eating, drinking, no vomiting/diarrhea, no coughing, etc.).

I used Earthbath hypo-allergenic cat shampoo, diluted with water. It's super gentle. I only bathe her once a month, twice if it's really hot outside. I normally wipe her feet 2-3 times a week with plain water and gauze or a cotton pad since she gets yucky toes. She gets a little rub down with vitamin E oil and/or coconut oil afterwards. No chemicals used in our home except laundry--all unscented.

MCT/MCD has a tendency to spread outside the body, but my vet isn't sure. I am concerned it's that, or an allergy. If it's food, I'm willing to give that a try! Vet thinks allergy testing isn't reliable...anyway. I can only post one photo, my internet connection is wonky at the moment. Sorry for the novel!

Again, thanks for reading and posting.
--Becca
Edit:photo taken today, 1 week after treatment began.

I would have passed on the surgery as well in her case especially with her heart and quality of life.

The picture you posted doesn't look anything like what my guy had. His were all raised lumps that were firm not flat looking lesions. Hopefully somebody else will be able to see it and chime in.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you are getting feedback from members who have some experience. If it is a Topical issue I recommend this product
a7076140d4359d343f61a9bd642adf72.jpg
. It is not toxic and helps with scratches and rashes. You seem to have your baby's best interest at heart and are making educated decisions on how to treat things. Just know your baby knows nothing but your love. How lucky is that baby?!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Blackcat1313 , checking in on your baby Fuggles
Here is an older thread Urticaria pigmentosa
with photos that @pussiette may be able to chime in with suggestions to ask a vet
Is there a university hospital that can do a consult ? Hopeful members can chime in with vet recommendations for your area

((Hugs)) amd daily positive vibes thoughts

Please please keep us update

Here for you !

Last edited:

Blackcat1313

Lairian
@Blackcat1313 , checking in on your baby Fuggles
Here is an older thread Urticaria pigmentosa
with photos that @pussiette may be able to chime in with suggestions to ask a vet
Is there a university hospital that can do a consult ? Hopeful ,e,bears can chime in with vet recommendations for your area

((Hugs)) amd daily positive vibes thoughts

Please please keep us update

Here for you !

Thank you for your post and check in! I've looked through several of the skin posts, including the Urticaria Pigmentosa threads. None seem to be close, or maybe I'm used to seeing my kiddo's skin everyday. Her sores have healed nicely, now she has these tiny little scabs all over that area! Good grief! I did order the vetericyn gel, hope to receive it shortly. I'll look into any university hospitals in the area. I'm still new to the area (Lake Geneva, WI). Fuggles continues to be a little devil, eating like a piggy and bossing around her big brother for the "good" spot on the couch.
Thank you for your kind words and insight.

Blackcat1313

Lairian
The gel seemed to work very well at first. I applied it as recommended twice daily, keeping her sunning time to a half hour before 10 a.m. The scabs cleared and dried. I went down to once daily and started back with vitamin E as her skin is horribly dry. Does the acid do that? She sleeps all day and rarely drinks water :( She only eat wet food, we are switching to the Duck and Pea Natural Balance. It’s watered down and warm, and her appetite is healthy. She just seems to be losing her fight with the cancer inside. Im using 6-8 vitamin E caps on her skin daily. I try to keep positive, but I know time is limited. Ugh...Anyway, below is an updated photo of her skin. Thanks again for reading. I hope this helps st least one person out there! ❤️

Attachments

• DFB198DF-EFB7-4000-8B2D-EA0002910B6C.jpeg
    DFB198DF-EFB7-4000-8B2D-EA0002910B6C.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 98

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry to read about these troubles. I had a cat with a mast cell tumor, but we were able to excise it completely. It was benign, which I was told that mast cell tumors in cats are usually benign. There were no sores or anything else with it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Blackcat1313 , (((hugs)))head smooches to Fuggles

Thinking about you daily with Positve vibes

Were you able to consult with university hospital for a second option ?
Sending a lair full of prayers

Please comtinue to keep us updated
Here for you !

Ps - I have supplemented with Nutrical too
My vet sells it amd I also get it online

I found this vet university perhaps to reach out to
University of Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital

My dad used a university hospital clinical study successfully for his dog years ago in Colorado)
Not sure what programs the WI has available or their specifics but wanted to share

I had a kitty I was told had pancreatic cancer mass - turned out he didn't actually have cancer and got treated for something totally different - From thst experience , I now go for second opinions with my babies as well as myself

Thinking of you and Fuggles with love and prayers

Ps be sure to check for hydration /tenting
Sometimes they need a little bit of fluids from the vet
My vet showed me how to do Turgor test and give fluids at home or bring in kitty to office every few days for fluids if needed

(((Hugs))))

Remember Fuggles only knows your love

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
What a lucky baby to be loved so much. You have the right attitude enjoy every day to the fullest. No matter how long we have them in our lives it will never seem long enough.

Blackcat1313

Lairian
Greetings all,
Thank you so much for your kind words, suggestions, recommendations, and love. Without this forum, I would have been lost completely. I am grateful for it.

Fuggles wasn’t feeling well last night and we decided that today we’d help her across the rainbow bridge. It is so painful to see her leave, but it is unfair to watch her suffer. She lived past what the doctors had originally thought, and for that, we are happy. She went peacefully. I will miss her terribly, and I know my boyfriend will miss her even more.

Again, my heartfelt gratitude to all of you for reading and advice. Fuggles thanks you too.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry for the loss of Fuggles. You made a good decision by letting her go. I'm glad you could do this for Fuggles and she could go peacefully. Big hugs.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so sorry for your loss. Sending healing thoughts to you and yours during this difficult time. You made the best decision you could given the situation. But I know that does not lessen the pain in your heart.

You will carry wonderful memories in your mind and heart, and that keeps Fuggles close to you.

Hugs.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry to read your baby got her wings today. Kudos to you for sensing it was the right time. Fly high sweet girl...you were loved beyond measure.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Blackcat1313 , I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Fuggles
To give them peace amd dignity is truly the hardest part of love

Fuggles omly new your love
Hold the fondest memories close to heart
((Hugs))) to you and yours

Fly Free sweet Fuggles
You live in hearts forever

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them