Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Did your contract say this???

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When purchasing George there was a contract I had to sign from the breeder agreeing to the things in the contract. I know this is common, because when I purchased a pure bred beagle years ago I also had to sign a contract. In the contract it advised me not to give George the FIP vaccine the FeLV vaccine and the FIV vaccine. Also it advised not to take him outside. He has been given the FVRCP vaccine and is due for his last one in a couple of weeks. We have another cat that is allowed outside.(He has hair)(George has not been introduced to him yet due to George not having all his vaccines yet). My other cat is 6 and have been given all the vaccines for cats. Since my other cat is allowed outside and is now immune to the cat diseases due to being vaccinated I'm terrified he could pass the diseases to George. I emailed the breeder and she has now suggested I get George the FeLV vaccine because my other cat. I'm really considering getting FIV also for George just to make sure he is safe. What do you guys think about this situation?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Those are bad vaccines and Cleo does not get them.It is in her contract not to give those shots.
Also I would have my Lucy if the leukemia shot had not killed her.
My other cats do not get those shot either.
They get the distemper combo.

PitRottMommy

Banned
First off, if you're introducing any feline into a household, it's wise to make sure every single cat is feline leukemia and feline aids negative. If they are, all of them...and your kitten is negative, no Felv, FIV or FIP vaccines are needed. However, all it takes is exposure to one positive cat and your companion's health is at risk.

The FIP vaccine can cause FIP in cats. It's still a very controversial vaccination and one, as a Veterinary Technician, would not recommend. In time, there will be a better vaccine but now would be a wise time to wait.

FIV vaccines are GREAT for outside cats. The only problem with this vaccine is that once a cat receives it, they will show up postive on the Felv/FIV/(HWT) combo snap test. However, they will not actually have the disease. They will simply show titer response, which is what they're being tested for.

The Feline leukemia vaccine is also another good vaccine for outside pets. I vaccinate all of my cats against this disease because it's preventable and NOT curable. My reason is because my cats donate blood and they will be in a hospital environment. Anyone that has multiple cats that are not tested for feleuk, I would recommend this vaccination for. Yes, even a Sphynx owner. I know there are other members on this board who also vaccinate their cats against this disease. They will only show positive on the snap test if they are truly positive and have the disease. You're safe with this vaccine.

So, unless your cat is going to be outside full time--skip the FIV vaccine and the FIP vaccine. The three core vaccinations I would recommend for any cat would be rabies, FVRCP and feline leukemia.

Those that are worried about sarcomas in cats caused by vaccinations should know that a recent study was released showing genetic predisposition to sarcoma secondary to vaccines. Some of those with high genetic predisposition developed cancer after being injected with sterile water.
It's wise to have the pet vaccinated over a rear leg, of all places. Thus, if cancer does develop it's in an easy-to-lose limb and it's far away from the chest and heart.

Best of luck!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks it was terrible.
I have Cleos shot record right here.
This is what she got.
Feline Rhinotracheitis/Calicivirus/Panleukopenia and the Rabies shot before she shipped.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks it was terrible.
I have Cleos shot record right here.
This is what she got.
Feline Rhinotracheitis/Calicivirus/Panleukopenia and the Rabies shot before she shipped.

Then she didn't receive the Leukemia vaccination unless it was given after she arrived. Rhinotracheitits, Calici and Panleukopenia is in the FVRCPC vaccination. Not the leukemia vaccination.. I'm not sure if your subsequent posts meant that she also received the feleuk vaccination, I thought I'd point it out just in case that might have been unclear to another reader.

Most breeders do not give this vaccination because they do not have any idea the future of a cat. If it will forever be a single inside cat, most of its not necessary. It's not a breeder's job to decide what vaccinations a cat needs to be healthy, it's a Veterinarian's. A breeder's job is to give the cat the best shot at being healthy. The core FVRCP vaccintions start that and cover the most common afflictions to upper respiratory infections. Most veterinarians don't recommend starting leukemia vaccinations until about 3 months. At which point most cats being homed.

George, a rabies vaccination is a great plan. The state requires vaccination against rabies, even if the pet is never outside. Failure to do so can result in a major fine. In addition, rabies is always lethal.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She got a fever within 2 hours then would just lay there.
The first time she had to ahve blood transfuions and it saved her . The 2nd she died on the the way to er after getting the shot.

PitRottMommy

Banned
She got a fever within 2 hours then would just lay there.
The first time she had to ahve blood transfuions and it saved her . The 2nd she died on the the way to er after getting the shot.

This is not a normal reaction. Her initial lethargy can be attributed to an inflammatory reaction--which is rather normal amongst pets. Some just feel cruddy the next day, same happens with humans. However, it sounds like there may possibly have been an underlying problem if she required a blood transfusion. Vaccinations are meant to stimulate the immune system and prompt a reaction to the vaccination of immunity. They don't cause spontaneous blood loss. Anemia, requiring a blood transfusion, especially that quickly after a vaccination may indicate that she had something wrong with her bone marrow--especially if she did not regenerate blood cells. It certainly could have been the domino that started a downhill slide if her immune system was simply holding her body in check and then her immune system was stimulated.

I'm curious 1) if bloodwork was run before administering the second vaccination and 2) if she was premedicated before the second vaccination.

Like I said, not all cats need this vaccination but it's certainly not a deadly vaccination in most cases. More often than not, it's a vaccine that offers protection for pets that are at risk. For those at risk, it's a vaccine that does need to be considered for annual boostering.

That being said, I'm sorry to hear your baby didn't make it. That part is never easy :(

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks,
We did do the blood tests and the same thing happened.
August 20th was 8 years since she died.

CoolSphynx

Lairian
M2M, I'm so sorry to hear how you lost your precious Lucy. {HUGS}

PittRottMom (or anyone who knows), do you recommend the rabies vax that is annual or once in three years? I groom my own (furry) cats , everyone stays inside, and they don't meet strangers so biting isn't a concern...would i be ok not giving the rabies vax so often? (it's nothing to do with cost, i just want to minimize injections and unnecessary meds....:Question:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Our contract says the same thing for all ther reasons that others listed! The bottom line is it is your cat and should talk with your vet and then decide what is best for George. I work for A pediatrician and there are so many people not wanting there kids vaccinated these days so they skip them for years and then when it is time to go to school the poor kid is getting A vaccine every week to get caught up!

PitRottMommy

Banned
M2M, I'm so sorry to hear how you lost your precious Lucy. {HUGS}

PittRottMom (or anyone who knows), do you recommend the rabies vax that is annual or once in three years? I groom my own (furry) cats , everyone stays inside, and they don't meet strangers so biting isn't a concern...would i be ok not giving the rabies vax so often? (it's nothing to do with cost, i just want to minimize injections and unnecessary meds....:Question:

The vaccine that you're giving whether 1 year or 3 years is the same vaccine. You need to see what your city calls for. I live in Oklahoma City and we're permitted to do rabies every 3 years. I do it every year because it's a cheap vaccine and I see no reason not to be certain my boys are covered (esp since I've been exposed to rabies before and I know how much of a risk we have around here). On the other hand, I work in a neighboring city that requires annual vaccination. Calling City Hall or a close veterinary office will yield the fastest results.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks,
We did do the blood tests and the same thing happened.
August 20th was 8 years since she died.

Did your veterinarian premedicate her before the second vaccine? If so, do you know what was given as premedication?

In addition, was she given a combo vaccination? was it a seperate vaccination (for example, FVRCP and leukemia--two seperate shots)? Also, did she receive any other vaccinations on the same day or was it simply the leukemia (or combo)?

Also, to be noted, not all vaccinations are created the same. If you've had problems, for example, with reactions from one company (say Merial) try another (say Ft. Dodge). Not all vaccines are the same.

8 years is a long time for veterinary medicine to made advances, I hope that you'll take this in to consideration if your vet ever recommends this vaccination for an "at risk" companion. At the same rate, I hope no one here ever has to deal with FIV, FIP or FeLv.

CoolSphynx

Lairian
The vaccine that you're giving whether 1 year or 3 years is the same vaccine. You need to see what your city calls for. I live in Oklahoma City and we're permitted to do rabies every 3 years. I do it every year because it's a cheap vaccine and I see no reason not to be certain my boys are covered (esp since I've been exposed to rabies before and I know how much of a risk we have around here). On the other hand, I work in a neighboring city that requires annual vaccination. Calling City Hall or a close veterinary office will yield the fastest results.

awesome. thank you!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It was the Leukemia shot by itself
I do not remember what brand it was.
My vet only gives 1 shot at a time just in case they react.

PitRottMommy

Banned
It was the Leukemia shot by itself
I do not remember what brand it was.
My vet only gives 1 shot at a time just in case they react.

I think it's a great idea to give a single vaccine at a time. Many reactions can be prevented by premedication. Without knowing if your veterinarian premedicated, it's hard to know if it would have helped your baby since her case was so severe. But, I cannot understand why your veterinarian would have given her a second dose of the vaccine seeing her reaction afterward the first. Seperating vaccines in to single doses gives you perfect detection for the ones they react to. And, in this case, it did. Do you have any idea why your veterinarian chose to booster after such a drastic reaction?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The vet I used to go to was in it for money after the owner retired.
I think they were doing anything to get money.

PitRottMommy

Banned
The vet I used to go to was in it for money after the owner retired.
I think they were doing anything to get money.

That's absolutely horrible. I know many people in this business who aren't necessarily in it for the money...but their heart isn't in it either(and that's just as bad).

We had a client that about 3 months ago was coming home from a flight and someone had placed a female doberman in the bed of his truck. Long story short, he kept her and got her fixed, UTD on shots, all the good stuff. Right before we were ready to leave on Friday, her owner came speeding into our parking lot and ran through our door with her. She had been hit by a car and barely had a heart beat. I've worked many years in Veterinary Medicine and I've spent countless hours attempting to revive animals. You don't give up until the owner says to or you've reached 15 minutes and brain damage is inevitable. The vet putzed around long enough that the dog's heart rate stopped. She gave one shot of Epinephrine, listened to her heart and pronounced her dead. The owner had been there no more than 2 minutes. No chest compressions, no intubation and oxygen, no other emergency meds...nothing. She promptly grabbed her keys, and then left. Leaving her staff to take care of the owner and the deceased pet.

While I do not normally push it upon everyone that not ALL vets are good...everyone needs to know that they need to find a veterinarian they trust and who deserves their trust. If the person you were using was not in this business for the right reasons (for the health of the pets), then you (and your animals) are much better off seeing someone else. I hope that you've found someone that takes much better care of your babies.

Brooke

Banned
That's absolutely horrible. I know many people in this business who aren't necessarily in it for the money...but their heart isn't in it either(and that's just as bad).

While I do not normally push it upon everyone that not ALL vets are good...everyone needs to know that they need to find a veterinarian they trust and who deserves their trust. If the person you were using was not in this business for the right reasons (for the health of the pets), then you (and your animals) are much better off seeing someone else. I hope that you've found someone that takes much better care of your babies.

I could not agree more! I stuck with a vet that I didn't trust for years, because he had been treating my sick dog and I was afraid to go to someone else, and didn't have the money to start all over again...finally, at my wits end, and when it was almost too late to reverse the damage this vet had done to my dog, I switched. Learned a very big lesson. There is a HUGE difference between veterinarians and it's so important to find one that is a good fit for you. The new one spent two hours with me and Virgil on our first visit and I wouldn't trust anyone else with my cats now!

PitRottMommy

Banned
I could not agree more! I stuck with a vet that I didn't trust for years, because he had been treating my sick dog and I was afraid to go to someone else, and didn't have the money to start all over again...finally, at my wits end, and when it was almost too late to reverse the damage this vet had done to my dog, I switched. Learned a very big lesson. There is a HUGE difference between veterinarians and it's so important to find one that is a good fit for you. The new one spent two hours with me and Virgil on our first visit and I wouldn't trust anyone else with my cats now!

That's precisely how I feel about my personal veterinarian (who I do not work for). Buck will eventually need to lacrimal ducts flushed, and I will NOT be using the woman I work for for this procedure. Dr. Bays, a very close friend above everything else, takes care of anything but vaccinations. And I'm happy to pay "client" fees instead of "vet tech" fees for the better service. Dr. Bays was my first, of 20, veterinary references when I wanted to adopt Buck and Buffy. After talking to her, the curator decided that I was a perfect match. Her opening line when she called to tell us she approved us for adoption, "My god, I wish Dr. Bays lived in Kentucky and was MY vet. She's awesome and had nothing but wonderful things to say about you and Jason. She even included that HER pets would probably rather live with you and Jason than with she and her husband". lol.

I hope everyone has FANTASTIC things they can say about their veterinarian. They should be THAT GOOD if they're going to be seeing your babies. There's no reason to accept less!

Back