Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Bindiandpumpkin

Lairian
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone can help.
I've always fed my babies fresh boiled meat and fish or tinned fish I spring water as recommended by the breeder. They have royal canin biscuits which they've always had so nothing has changed. Sometimes they get bouts of diarrhea which they stand in and get everywhere.. It's not the poop that bothers me, I just hope they're not in any discomfort. Can anybody recommend a better diet? I would consider raw but need idea and info on what 'raw' do I feed them?
Many thanks :cat::cat:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If they are eating anything other than a commercially prepared diet, it needs to be complete. This means that it needs to include the proper ratios of organ, bone and meat.

Depending how much cooked meat and dry food they have been eating, it may not be nutritionally complete.

If you like the idea of feeding a cooked diet, an easy way to make it whole is to use a powder like U-Stew from Know Better Pet Foods. This company also makes the popular Better in the Raw powder, which is a supplement that many members use in making their own raw food.

Other than the bouts of diarrhea, what is their poop like? Have they had a check up lately?

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm not sure, from reading your post, if they are getting a balanced diet. Making sure that the food is balanced is the first thing I would look into.

I think the U Stew product sounds like a good suggestion if you decide to stick with cooked food, assuming you can get it where you live. I feed my cats a raw ground diet that I prepare at home and that's what I swear by unless it's a special case kitty. Here are a some web sites that provide recipes for making your own cat food.

http://www.catinfo.org/ ....this web site provides a recipe for partially cooked, partially raw ground food.
http://feline-nutrition.org/index.php ....tons of information and various recipes (incluidng not just ground food but also whole).
http://feline-nutrition.org/index.php ....another good source of information and another raw ground recipe.

After you read all that info you could have more questions, so just come back here and post again. However you decide to proceed, it's very important if you make your own pet food to be sure that it is complete and balanced. A healthy cat eating a proper diet should not have diarrhea issues, and you want to exclude the food as being the root of the problem. Hope this helps.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Their poop is normally quite firm..
Having meat without the bone or bone substitute can cause loose stools. I would do some research, and pick a diet that you want to try with them. See how they do on that.

There are many things that can cause diarrhea in these guys. Dietary changes, stress, bacteria, viruses, eating something they aren't supposed to, medical conditions (IBD, etc)... if there are periods where they have firm poo in between, I would say it is most likely something like stress, diet or IBD. Bacterial conditions tend not to improve without medications.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
One more thing, fish shouldn't be a principal food, nor beef. It's ok to feed an occasional fish or beef meal, but try to stick with fowl, rabbit, venison the majority of the time. You might not even be feeding beef but I thought I would mention it in passing.

Bindiandpumpkin

Lairian
Oh no, I, so confused now. My breeder told me the complete opposite and that canned food is bad for them. What canned food do you recommend?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Back