Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Digestion problems after castration

MiyagiandHanzo

Lairian
Hi,
I have a 8 months male sphynx named Miyagi. I neutered him 3 weeks ago.
I never had problems with him since I got him in August. My problems started 2 days after he got castrated. He started to vomit his food. We took him to the vet and they discovered crystals in his urine cos aparently he is not drinking enough water.
I was feeding him with a food named almo nature and consists of meat cooked with no aditives. He eats a lot...3 to 4 times per day. 70g one portion of chicken, american salmon,atlantic tuna...he loved everythung...and he could eat a lot nd demanding every time he sees us eat.
I was very happy his poop was firm. But suddenly after castration...BAM
Problems...and I get very upset and worried every time he puke.
So we got antibiotics and shot to prevent vomiting. He was allright for few days and then he restarted...but we tryed to monitor the accidents. He vomits maybe 2 times in a row and then for two days nothing. Then again he seems to have lack in appetite...and then next day like new and playing a lot.
We have to go to the vet again and do the pee exams for crystals.
He also got ranital for the stomach irritation but this medicine is in liquid via oral...and the last time i gave him the medicine he got foam on the mouth. I stopped cos' he puked after eating...and it was because the medicine.
Yesterday he was lively and eating without problems...i gave him fresh raw salmon ...AND HE GOT DIHARREA TODAY. well i gave him normal canned chicken and he ate only half...it was already an allert. When i came home i found puking.
So now i am sitting in my couch and he is very calm and snuggling on my thighs and cuddling. But i can see on my boy that he is not alright. He is not lively today...
Any suggestion what to do? I don't want him to be on medicines. Do you think that his puking is related to lack of water.
I want to help him but really don't know how to handle this. I love him to the moon and back.

paigeberry

Lairian
I think he is allergic to chicken! I had to get a sensitive stomach dry food from Walmart that is non chicken. It's made by Purina. It is amazing. Maybe get a probiotic like fortiflora. And pumpkin. Organic pure pumpkin. I give my cat the probiotic (you can order on ebay for tons cheaper) on top of a tablespoon of pumpkin daily. Then give him his dry food. I'll post a pic of the food that worked for us.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

paigeberry

Lairian
Stop bouncing from one food to another stick to one thing. But eliminate chicken. I was having the same issues with my baby. He is great now! You can even soak this dry food in hot water to give him more water in his diet. Add the probiotic on top of that as well.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

MiyagiandHanzo

Lairian
I gave him probiotic yesterday. I was thinking about that also...that he is maybe allergic to chicken...
I really would like to start him feed with raw food.
Tomorrow i am going to buy duck or turkey... the raw food i gave him was 1 portion a day...slowly adapting his diet.
He ate tuna 1 hour ago...and now he is very lively.
I am going to eliminate dry food from his diet slowly...

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@MiyagiandHanzo sorry to hear Miyagi has health issues since he's neutered. Raw food can be a good alternative, specially when he's not drinking enough. Do you have a waterbowl or a fountain? I have regular bowls but did hear fountains can work great for cats that drink to little.
A lot of sphynxes are allergic to chicken. So maybe Miyagi is allergic also. Too much fish can also cause vomiting and diarrhea. My vet said it's better to give cats fish not more then once a week.

Sending healing vibes to Miyagi and a big hug to you.

Natasja

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It will help him to drink more water, if you will, sit bowls
of water, in a couple different places.
I put one in our bedroom, plus she drinks out of 3 bathroom
sinks. She won't hardly drink where her food is.
A lot of cats won't. You aren't supposed to feed raw and dry
food at the same time. It needs to be several hours apart.
If you don't feed raw, get a good wet and dry grain free food.
Your cat couldn't have eat anything, it wasn't supposed to
could it? They are a lot of toxic plants for cats.
He didn't eat any ribbon, yarn, thread plastic plants? There could be a blockage.
You can see the plants that are toxic to cats.
Plus onions and garlic. Here's a link.
Poisonous Plants for Cats

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Awww, I'm sorry to hear about the problems. I don't think you can correlate the issues to the castration... just one of those things.

Yes, lots of Sphynx are allergic to chicken, so you could eliminate that. Plus, more water is good. Lots of water, in fact.

Quality wet food is best, but even then you can add some water to the wet to make it a bit soupy which will encourage more water in their system. If you feed dry, then you should definitely add water. I think some cats just don't drink enough from bowls and need encouragement. Oh, and if you can get a probiotic such as FortiFlora (FortiFlora® Feline Probiotic Supplement | Pro Plan Veterinary Diets) that would be great.

Keep us informed. Good luck!