Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dirty Bambino

hairlesskovu

Lairian
Hi everyone
My cat Kovu is constantly getting dirty. His pink skin turns brown and close up you can see the dirt. I bathe him twice a week and use wipes in between it's so bad. The dirt comes off easily but by the end of the day its back.
Anyy advice for preventing it?
Thanks!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Try to wash Kovu less then you do now. The more you bath them, the dirtier they get as @oolahappi says. Bathing too much makes their skin produce more oil and more dirt. I wash my.crew once a month. It's hard to go through it and let them stay dirty for a while but it really gets better!

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
To help in between bathes by putting him in a little t-shirt. It helps absorb oil and dirt then you can just was the shirt.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Should I start with every two weeks and see how that goes? Or straight to 1 month?
I would try go as long as you can to start. So if you can last the month and just do wipe downs then go straight to the month. If you notice he's getting itchy or super dirty do the two weeks first. But definitely try to hold out for the Month. I have a white boy too and he also has brown around his armpits and on his belly/thighs and you do get used to it but he stays cleaner for longer with the once a month bath :)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The dirty greasy condition you are getting is caused by too much bathing. Leaving the cat's skin too dry and so it overproduces sebum which picks up lots of dirt.
Please consider only washing your cat every 21 to 30 days. This is the life cycle of his skin shed. You need to start using a conditioner after you bath your cat. And a dry oil, like argan oil, in between baths to help maintain a good balance of the skin. I oil my sphynx about two times a week, more if the weather is very dry. I use emu oil on the inner and outer ears and on the cheeks and argan on their bodies. Both of these oils are ok if they lick them. The oil will help any dirt rub off in between baths too. But, since I changed my sphynx skin care routine they dont get very dirty between baths anymore and can last at least 3 weeks. My one cat has very good skin and she can go 5 weeks between baths and oil treatment between.

Back