Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Karen

Lairian
Can anyone post pictures of what a straph infection on a Sphynx look like? I need to know if my baby have an infection or just a crusty bottom. It started with me wiping and cleaning too much. The skin there became dry and dirty. The type of dirt that do not wash off.
Coconut oil made it worse.
I did go to the vet but here by us most vets has never seen a Sphynx.

Warning ugly picture attached

Attachments

• 2014-01-26 19.58.26.jpg
    2014-01-26 19.58.26.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,436

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Question,when you wipe it with a baby wipe does it flake off? Does your baby excessively lick that area now?

Patti

Karen

Lairian
Cannot get it off with baby wipes or warm face cloth or in the bath.

He does lick there more than usual.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would get a second opinion. Don't use any more coconut oil . just keep it clean and dry and see if it will heal a bit

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
If you have an old cone of shame throw it on your baby until you can get them looked at. Licking is making it more irritated and sore.

Patti

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Agreed, get another opinion.... If your vet is that oppsoed to raw and blaming it on that, I doubt they will be helpful trying to lookfor other causes or cures.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @Karen ,
Is your kitty having poo issues, diarrhea or runny stools, how about constipation? That almost appears to be a prolapsed anus gland. You should surely find a vet to treat him before infection sets in. Hope all goes well. Also- here is a video I remember seeing quite some time ago about a sphynx with a staph infection.

Last edited:

Karen

Lairian
Hi all
Thank you for your help. Just to give you some feedback. His bottom now nice and pink again. I washed him with an antibacterial and fungal shampoo and then left it alone.

I really think I try to keep him too clean all the time. I have made peace with the dirt our little naked babies have.
Regards Karen

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can anyone post pictures of what a straph infection on a Sphynx look like? I need to know if my baby have an infection or just a crusty bottom. It started with me wiping and cleaning too much. The skin there became dry and dirty. The type of dirt that do not wash off.
Coconut oil made it worse.
I did go to the vet but here by us most vets has never seen a Sphynx.

Warning ugly picture attached

I'm not sure why his rectum looks like that. Is there a fishy type of odor? He might need his anal glands expressed. But I have seen skin on a sphynx like this!
My Grayson in particular has very sensitive skin. I cannot use any type of baby wipes on my sphynxes. They get red and raw. Many of the members here (me included) uses Pet D'Greaser Shampoo and out of my five sphynxes, I cannot use it on Grayson. He becomes a mess...exactly like your baby's bottom/underside of tail.
The BEST thing to put on that is Mupirocin or Bactroban (same medicine). Rub it in a few times a day. The only thing to clean his bottom with is a warm, soft paper towel or very soft infant's washcloth...just using water. Don't rub and scrub and don't wash him there too many times in a day.
This medicine is also for humans and you may have it in the house already. I usually use the ointment, but if you have the cream, that is fine too. I promise you that he will be as good as new in no time.

Karen

Lairian
I'm not sure why his rectum looks like that. Is there a fishy type of odor? He might need his anal glands expressed. But I have seen skin on a sphynx like this!
My Grayson in particular has very sensitive skin. I cannot use any type of baby wipes on my sphynxes. They get red and raw. Many of the members here (me included) uses Pet D'Greaser Shampoo and out of my five sphynxes, I cannot use it on Grayson. He becomes a mess...exactly like your baby's bottom/underside of tail.
The BEST thing to put on that is Mupirocin or Bactroban (same medicine). Rub it in a few times a day. The only thing to clean his bottom with is a warm, soft paper towel or very soft infant's washcloth...just using water. Don't rub and scrub and don't wash him there too many times in a day.
This medicine is also for humans and you may have it in the house already. I usually use the ointment, but if you have the cream, that is fine too. I promise you that he will be as good as new in no time.
I agree with everything you said. I caused it by cleaning him too often with the baby wipes. I also already use that cream in my house for everything. Changed his shampoo to a product from virbac especially for sensitive skin. He recovered fully in 4 days after I left his poor little backside alone.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree with everything you said. I caused it by cleaning him too often with the baby wipes. I also already use that cream in my house for everything. Changed his shampoo to a product from virbac especially for sensitive skin. He recovered fully in 4 days after I left his poor little backside alone.

That's great that he's doing better now. :)
That medicine is excellent for your sphynx's boo boos. You'd be amazed how quickly it heals their skin.

Back