Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dirty paws

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This morning I was woken up at 5:10 by the most awful smell; Rankle had used his litter tray, got it all over his paws and traipsed it into the bed. Needless to say he had to be cleaned and so will the bedsheets. We've only had him for a week and a half and this is the second time he's come back to bed with pooey paws. Does anyone else have the same problem? I've had cats nearly all my life and none of them have ever have ever done this.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
This morning I was woken up at 5:10 by the most awful smell; Rankle had used his litter tray, got it all over his paws and traipsed it into the bed. Needless to say he had to be cleaned and so will the bedsheets. We've only had him for a week and a half and this is the second time he's come back to bed with pooey paws. Does anyone else have the same problem? I've had cats nearly all my life and none of them have ever have ever done this.
Have you checked his stool? Is it runny?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oooooh the famous poop paws! Sphynx kittens tend to have lots of poop paws, or a poop tail. Don't know why but a lot of us had to deal with it the first few months. Hopefully your boy will not do this too often.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oooooh the famous poop paws! Sphynx kittens tend to have lots of poop paws, or a poop tail. Don't know why but a lot of us had to deal with it the first few months. Hopefully your boy will not do this too often.
So do I otherwise the little terror will be sleeping elsewhere . Poopy paws running across my pillow and head is not pleasant. I've just changed the bedclothes and can't believe how dirty they are just from his skin. I guess they'll just have to be changed more often now we have a Sphynx.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This has definitely happened to us and it's unpleasant to say the least haha
As others have suggested maybe his box is a little too small for how he uses it and he needs a bigger one so he has more room and maybe it could be cause he ate a lot of people food and his belly is a little upset.
A tiny bit of pumpkin might help just firm his stool up just a little bit more to minimise on the poop feet but if it seems firm enough I wouldn't worry too much.
And with dirty Sphynx spot I would definitely say start getting some slightly darker sheets as they will will dirt on everything haha you do get used to it though.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This has definitely happened to us and it's unpleasant to say the least haha
As others have suggested maybe his box is a little too small for how he uses it and he needs a bigger one so he has more room and maybe it could be cause he ate a lot of people food and his belly is a little upset.
A tiny bit of pumpkin might help just firm his stool up just a little bit more to minimise on the poop feet but if it seems firm enough I wouldn't worry too much.
And with dirty Sphynx spot I would definitely say start getting some slightly darker sheets as they will will dirt on everything haha you do get used to it though.
Thanks for the suggestions. We have 4 indoor cats and litter trays of various sizes dotted around the house. The poopy paws has only happened a couple of times so it's probably because he's a bit of a loose goose at the moment (didn't realise the extent of his human food thievery). I'll try to find some pumpkin in case it happens again but it's difficult to source in the UK outside of October.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I get that a lot of Americans just buy the 100% pumpkin puree in a tin but you can't get that in Australia so What I do is buy a pumpkin or half a pumpkin roast it and make the puree then I freeze it in an icecube tray and then once frozen transfer it to an air tight container so I always have some when I need it :)
I have used it twice before and it works like a charm for him he has it for about 1-2 nights and that's usually long enough, I also mix it with a cream/puree treat he loves as he doesn't eat it on its own.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Anansi that's a really good idea. I always grow my own pumpkins so will save some for Rankle next year. In the meantime I'll see if I can get some canned online. I've never seen it in the shops over here before.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots some members , I believe @Xandria can chime in with the 100% pure psyllium as an option .
Yes definitely keep on eye out on human food thieving ! too many treats can cause poo issiues too

I no longer buy treats.
I feed science diet urninary hairball formula as treats. Hairball formulas can help with poo issues because of the fiber in it

Keep us updated !

Btw , not sure if available in your area but wanted to share I use non toxic "Krud Kutter " in my laundry -
I can have sphnyx and white sheets ! :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 7

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Anansi that's a really good idea. I always grow my own pumpkins so will save some for Rankle next year. In the meantime I'll see if I can get some canned online. I've never seen it in the shops over here before.

Just keep in mind that it's best to freeze pumpkin not can it as the gasses it releases once canned can actually break your jars (ask me how I learned this one :rolleyes:)

And all of my pj's are stained brown from sphynx oils in my lap where they lay, as are all of my sheets! I actually changed my bedroom colours to browns to help hide it!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just keep in mind that it's best to freeze pumpkin not can it as the gasses it releases once canned can actually break your jars (ask me how I learned this one :rolleyes:)

And all of my pj's are stained brown from sphynx oils in my lap where they lay, as are all of my sheets! I actually changed my bedroom colours to browns to help hide it!
Wow! I hope no-one was close when the jars blew! I made homebrew for the first time this year and the bottles are outside because I'm paranoid after hearing friends' horror stories about their explosive experiences.

I discovered that if Rankle wears jumpers they absorb a lot of the oils from his skin so he leaves less elsewhere. So I've spent the afternoon making him some new clothes.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow! I hope no-one was close when the jars blew! I made homebrew for the first time this year and the bottles are outside because I'm paranoid after hearing friends' horror stories about their explosive experiences.

I discovered that if Rankle wears jumpers they absorb a lot of the oils from his skin so he leaves less elsewhere. So I've spent the afternoon making him some new clothes.

I've started cutting the bottoms off my my tights/yoga pants when they wear out and turning them into shirts for the girls!!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Oh I can't get canned pumpkin in Australia they don't sell it so we only freeze it but I do know you can get canned puree in the US so I was suggesting she maybe buy it pre canned not can her own haha but that was definitely a useful tip cause I wouldn't have thought of that and I probably would of had exploding pumpkin jars hahaha

Back