Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

dirty toes

kyldenzine

Lairian
Hi i just got my first sphynx a couple months ago and a his toes are very dirty. When i wash him the soap doesnt seem to do the job is there anything you guys use mabey before bathing or a certain soap, right now i use a soap i got from the vet

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have exfoliating gloves that work great! I put some coconut oil on Emma's feet and bottom before her bath and this seems to really loosen up the grime. Then I use J&J baby wash and lather her up with the gloves. I take each paw and push out each nail while rubbing her toe, and it takes off the majoirty of the dirt.

The back paws are sometimes challenging so I usually have my husband help with those :Smile:

Hope this helps!

live2flythesky

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have found that a bit of ear cleaner on a cotton pad breaks up the black gunk on Darwin's nails. Maybe this is because it is made to remove wax? I'm not really sure why it works so well, but I have been doing it for about 6 months now after every bath and his nails and sheaths have been staying pretty clean (his dewclaws get the dirtiest).

I also figured that ear cleaner was made for a very sensitive area so it couldn't hurt to use on his toes.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Why do you use coconut oil? I just Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo- should I use coconut oil too? I'm a new momma... Thanks :)

Coconut oil breaks down the toughest sphynx grime on the body. I use just a tiny bit on her bottom and the poo just rubs right off. On her toes is the same, I use just a tiny bit right before bath to break up the grime on her toes.

You have to make sure to get it all off and it is a bit greasy, because if you leave any on, it will attract dirt :LOL:

I found that out the hard way when I first started using it. The less the better with this stuff in my opinion :Smile:

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Elvira hates having her toes done. Unless I use "my nail stuff" like the orange stick and believe it or not the nail file. I use the orange stick to pry off as much of the "big gunk chunks" as I can, and then use the file to scrape off the rest.
If I use cotton balls or Q tips she howls and yowls and you'd think I was killing her.
But no, the same stuff I use on my nails and cuticles she likes so I bought her own stuff so I don't have to worry about her getting bacteria or germs from my fingernails!!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi i just got my first sphynx a couple months ago and a his toes are very dirty. When i wash him the soap doesnt seem to do the job is there anything you guys use mabey before bathing or a certain soap, right now i use a soap i got from the vet

Not sure if your talking about the black goo under the nails - if so this video shows how to clean with baby wipes - just watch a bit past the nail clipping in the video.

http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/clipping-your-sphynx-cat-nails-2361/

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Coconut oil breaks down the toughest sphynx grime on the body. I use just a tiny bit on her bottom and the poo just rubs right off. On her toes is the same, I use just a tiny bit right before bath to break up the grime on her toes.

You have to make sure to get it all off and it is a bit greasy, because if you leave any on, it will attract dirt :LOL:

I found that out the hard way when I first started using it. The less the better with this stuff in my opinion :Smile:

We used coconut oil on Cleo for awhile, but no matter how much we washed and rinsed, we just couldn't get it all off her. She would sometimes start showing dirty spots within 10 minutes after her bath. So about a month ago I started using olive oil instead. Olive oil gets the dirt off as well or better than coconut oil, but it washes off much easier and Cleo is staying much cleaner. It's also always in the kitchen and a great moisturizer.

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree exfoliating gloves are amazing. I also have a soft head shower brush that I go over his toes with. When he is out of the bath make sure to clean with wipes too.

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Elvira hates having her toes done. Unless I use "my nail stuff" like the orange stick and believe it or not the nail file. I use the orange stick to pry off as much of the "big gunk chunks" as I can, and then use the file to scrape off the rest.
If I use cotton balls or Q tips she howls and yowls and you'd think I was killing her.
But no, the same stuff I use on my nails and cuticles she likes so I bought her own stuff so I don't have to worry about her getting bacteria or germs from my fingernails!!!

Elvira, you get cuter and cuter with every post I read about you!! :Kiss:

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Elvira, you get cuter and cuter with every post I read about you!! :Kiss:

Elvira says "thank you. Whoever would've thought my pickiness would be so endearing? If my mum sees fit to use it on herself, I see no reason where it would cause me harm. I just don't like the cotton balls or the cotton sticks because she tends to soak them in cold liquid and then attempt to apply it to the perfection that is Elvira."
:LOL::LOL:
Gotta love her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trackerjacker

Lairian
I must be lucky, Mac doesn't get that dirty. We also (embarrassingly) wipe his butt pretty frequently post-poop so it doesn't get too gnarly down there. We don't want a dirty little butthole all over our house :)

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We use baby wipes after the bath and scrape it off with my fingernail in the wipe. I also use ear cleaner on a q tip to clean it after the baby wipe. The nails and toe jam in the toe skin folds is usually yeasty and the ear cleaner has an astringent to deal with that.

Re coconut oil. I think it is naturally antibacterial as well but dont quote me on it. It moisturises and breaks down dirt easily. Great for the crust on their noses and butt dirt as well.

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lenore usually doesn't get that dirty all over, but her toes are HORRIBLE. I swear the more I clean them, the dirtier they get! Her biggest problem is that she's so contrary, she KNOWS how mad it makes me when I finish cleaning her toes and she runs directly to the litter box with damp feet! She does it every time and there's no way to stop her, so I try and dry them as best I can before I release her from the torture rack (a towel which is synonymous with evil mean death trap).

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use Dawn dish soap and a wash rag while in the tub. It works well for us. I only have one that protest the most and she is the one who needs it the most.
I have used Coconut oil and liked it, but normally skip that step. I only use it when they are really bad.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Lenore usually doesn't get that dirty all over, but her toes are HORRIBLE. I swear the more I clean them, the dirtier they get! Her biggest problem is that she's so contrary, she KNOWS how mad it makes me when I finish cleaning her toes and she runs directly to the litter box with damp feet! She does it every time and there's no way to stop her, so I try and dry them as best I can before I release her from the torture rack (a towel which is synonymous with evil mean death trap).

Do you use the hooded baby type towels for Miss Lenore?
Elvira finds them to be very comforting during her post-bath pout.

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Do you use the hooded baby type towels for Miss Lenore?
Elvira finds them to be very comforting during her post-bath pout.

I use very soft towels without a hood, but she freaks out at the sight of any type of cloth. Unless it's a blankie, and it's safely folded and laid in her bed.

Back