Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Discolored and dry nose please help

ChashusParents

Lairian
My kitty has brown discoloration on her nose (new). It does not wipe off. We have a vet appointment in about 7 days for her ear follow up. She’s eating, drinking, and playing fine. Her nose is just not pink like it was before and it is dry. Sometimes when she’s sleeping and purring loudly she has a little snore but when she’s in a deep sleep she seems to be breathing normally. I’ve attached a picture. Has anybody else gone through this? I’m a new sphynx mom I’ve only had her about 2 weeks so I’m constantly worried about her!

Attachments

• 7C3FED45-710D-41A1-8B1C-8AA1E6665149.jpeg
    7C3FED45-710D-41A1-8B1C-8AA1E6665149.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 66

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ChashusParents welcome to the lair family
Happy Gotcha ! Want is your girl’s name ? She is adorable !

What is the vet follow up for her ears for ?
ears nose throat all connected
Is she on medications for her ears?

For peace of mind I would call you right vet with an update-

Surely members will chime in with suggestions to ask your vet

Here is a link to check for dehydration too
It’s just a good thing to know as a reference
If a kitty or pet is dehydrated it’s always best to contact your vet -
She is eating drinking and playing which are all good signs

@Catzzzmeow any suggestions ?

All paws crossed for your sweetie
Flowing closley for updates

Last edited:

ChashusParents

Lairian
@ChashusParents welcome to the lair family
Happy Gotcha ! Want is your girl’s name ? She is adorable !

What is the vet follow up for her ears for ? Sim e ears nose throat all comeectrd I would ask your vet about
Is she on medications for her ears?

Surely members will chime in with suggestions to ask your vet

Here is a link to check for dehydration too
It’s just a good thing to know as a reference
If a kitty or pet is dehydrated it’s always best to contact your vet -
She is eating drinking and playing which are all good signs

By chance ? Do you use a walnut litter

@Catzzzmeow any suggestions ?

All paws crossed for your sweetie
Flowing closley for updates

Thanks for your reply! Her name is Chashu :) we went to the vet just for a first time wellness visit and the vet put her on tresaderm for her ears.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh what a cute name ! Look forward to pics amd tales with your journey with us! glad you jumped in to post !

Hope you are an active member with this fun friendly bunch :)

My kitties have had tresderm in the past too with no problems

For peace of mind ,I would give your vet a call and follow their suggestions

Head smooches sent !

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. What a beautiful cutie you have.

The brown on her nose looks like dirt. Did you try put some coconut oil on her nose, leave it on for a few minutes and then wipe it of with a wet washcloth or babywipe? Sometimes you have to repeat it cause it can be hard to get the dirt of.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ChashusParents You can ask your vet if it would help to apply bag balm to her nose

They make a people version and I saw on chewy they have smaller options marketed for pets “Bag balm pet” for Paws and Nose

(I looked at the bag balm website - they have they same ingredients as the human version )

Please keep us updated

Attachments

• D691E5F9-A9FF-43BD-A1C8-9726C6C59757.jpeg
    D691E5F9-A9FF-43BD-A1C8-9726C6C59757.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
It looks like dirt to me too. However, since her nose is dry she could just be a little off from being in a new home. It’s common for cats to get a little sickie feeling the first few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChashusParents

Lairian
Thank you all for the replies! We went to the vet and she had an ear infection, yeast.. Her ears were super waxy and the vet wasn’t able to see her ear drum. I Felt like an awful cat mom but she said it’s safer to not use the q-tip to go too deep into the ear anyway. They professionally cleaned her ears and put this really thick clear cream like medicine in her ears. We’re not supposed to touch it until then.

As far as her nose, by the time we got to the vet it randomly cleared up on it’s own! It was weird though because she ended up having diarrhea for a day when her nose was at its worst. We took away the dry food and fed only wet food and water for a day and a half and it cleared up along with the diarrhea. Not sure if that was related. We also had just deep cleaned the house and used some wipes to clean the tables and countertops, maybe she is sensitive to the chemical smell of the wipes? We are now using “plant based” wipes. Being a new sphynx mom is tough and a learning experience so thanks everyone for your advice. I’m sure I’ll be actively posting more questions in the future lol.

Back