Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dislocated tail

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
uploadfromtaptalk1447550652173.jpg

11 week kitten somehow dislocated her tail today. She didn't seem to be in any pain and was playing along with her sisters this morning when we noticed the lump in her tail. Vet xrayed it and it is dislocated, not fractured. Vet said it might heal on its own but worst case if it didn't it might need to be amputated.
Anybody with tail dislocation experience? @Tiffany_Kay I pm'ed you!

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Fuzzy dislocated his tail and it just hung there for a few weeks. They vet wasn't too concerned because there was still goo blood flow to the tip of the tail. After about a month it started to stand back up on it's own and now he is as good as new.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Poor baby. Izzy's tail went back to normal within a month or so. Hopefully your baby's tail will heal quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so sorry! Hope she heals quickly! How many vertebrae down is it? It looks fairly far up. I only have tail amputation experience, not much on dislocation but hope it does not come to that for you!

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so sorry! Hope she heals quickly! How many vertebrae down is it? It looks fairly far up. I only have tail amputation experience, not much on dislocation but hope it does not come to that for you!
It's probably almost three inches up from the base of her tail. We are hoping for healing. :) if not, she'll be an extra special Sphynxibob. Luckily she doesn't seem to be in any pain, although I know they can hide it well. She is not happy "resting" in the x-large dog crate we have.
We have no idea how it happened or when! They can be quite the acrobat at this age. I assume she must have fallen on it.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Marcus has a dislocated vertebra at his tail tip. It doesn't bother him nearly as much as it bothered his breeder. It seems that all the kits in the litter had this little "problem." His tail is just a part of his character.

I hope your baby gets her tail better soon. Will she be going to a new home soon?

Last edited:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Merlin broke the end of his tail and it did heal but he has a bump you can feel in the spot. It took time but did heal.
Hope you baby's tail heals too.

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Marcus has a dislocated vertebra at his tail tip. It doesn't bother him nearly as much as it bothered his breeder. It seems that all the kits in the litter had this little "problem." His tail is just a part of his character.

I hope your baby gets her tail better soon. Will she be going to a new home soon?
She was set to go to her new home this next week but her family backed out because of her tail (the mom is heartbroken but the "dad" didn't want her with a bump I her tail.) Their loss, I happily refunded their deposit, she is such a sweetheart a kink just adds even more personality! I was actually going to keep her sister so I just decided to keep her instead and already have a new home for her sister.

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Head smooches and healing vibes to baby kitty - name ? Will be looking for good news updates
The family that was going to adopt her before she dislocated her tail named her Rebel. I'm thinking we should call her Bentley, but Rebel fits her well too. Not in a negative way, but she's always in to something! Hence the tail problem - hard telling how she managed that!
She is doing well besides hating the big dog crate she's staying in to keep her out of trouble. Tail still has quite a kink, but she raises it fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. Our vet spoke to a neurologist who recommended no surgery, just let it heal on its own. I'm calling back tomorrow to see how long they recommend she be "kept quiet". Haha, she's a very vocal "quiet"!

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How's the tail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She had her tail up high in the air (kink & all) tonight when she was trying to escape from the kitty room. We took mercy on her and let her out of the crate today. We're keeping her in the kitty room with her sisters in the living room in hopes that she'll be calmer that way. I put mom in with her. Keeping her in the crate was heartbreaking. And she spilled her food and water no matter how we tried to attach it to the crate.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She was set to go to her new home this next week but her family backed out because of her tail (the mom is heartbroken but the "dad" didn't want her with a bump I her tail.) Their loss, I happily refunded their deposit, she is such a sweetheart a kink just adds even more personality! I was actually going to keep her sister so I just decided to keep her instead and already have a new home for her sister.

I'm glad you are one of the Breeder's that give the deposit back.
There is not many that will.
I would not get a baby from a breeder that shouldn't give
the deposit back. I don't think a person should keep the breeder waiting
and knock them out of a sale either, but, non refundable, I won't
go with that.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
People are strange. My Frida has a kink in her tail and I celebrate it! Her breeder was going to keep her but decided to home her because she couldn't show her with the tail kink. I wouldn't have my perfect Frida if it wasn't for that! Honestly though even if this happened and I didn't want this kitten I would just ask to wait for the next litter. A good breeder can be hard to find and waiting, though difficult is worth it for the right kitten.
Probably you can't even spot the kink. It is right at the tip and very subtle
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448236613.173822.jpg

momdeeze

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
People are strange. My Frida has a kink in her tail and I celebrate it! Her breeder was going to keep her but decided to home her because she couldn't show her with the tail kink. I wouldn't have my perfect Frida if it wasn't for that! Honestly though even if this happened and I didn't want this kitten I would just ask to wait for the next litter. A good breeder can be hard to find and waiting, though difficult is worth it for the right kitten.
Probably you can't even spot the kink. It is right at the tip and very subtle View attachment 63834
She is beautiful!

Back