Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dita bit Alice, bad.

Saturday morning Dita and Alice had yet another fight. This time Dita bit Alices thigh/butt region and I cleaned it and hoped it would be okay.

This morning Alice had a giant (nickle sized) abscess and some smaller oozy ones. So I cleaned them, then realized how bad it was and took her into the emergency clinic, it was the only one open on Sundays here.

They had to drain the abscesses and put plastic drains into them! :Cry: I was so scared. She's on pain meds and antibiotics. She has to wear a little collar thingy for a few days.

But I'm scared. It was only about 24hours so I hope I was fast enough getting her in there.... But the little plastic things have bled a bit, and I know they obviously aren't going to be air tight, so if she moves they'll bleed right? It's normal? Please tell me it's okay. I'm so scared that I'll mess up and lose her. I don't want to lose my baby. She's so tiny and sleepy (but she had a long day of vets so that's normal, I hope).

Has anyone else had a drain tube thingy in their baby? I'm so freaked out, she looks like she has straws coming out of her and I don't know what to expect.....or how to keep the collar thingy in place when I'm gone. It just doesn't seem to fit and I can't get another, used up all my savings just paying for it.....I'm scared:Cry:

Gizzymom

Banned
I'm soooo sorry you are going through this...:Cry:

It is completely normal for liquid and some blood to come out of the drains - that is what they are there for... However, if there is a LOT of blood, that is not normal.

Do you have anyone that can be with her while you are at work or at least check in on her? Also, are you having to keep them separate now??

Poor Alice :Cry:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What you're describing with the drains is quite normal for drains. They'll ooze some blood and often pus from around the insertion site. The drains were put in to give the pus a way of draining out instead of building up inside... so rejoice when you see drainage, cause out is always better than in when it comes to infection.

There has to be a way of making a better-fitting cone collar but danged if I know how to do it. I bet one of our crafty type folks can come up with some ideas though.

I'm soooo sorry you are going through this...:Cry:

It is completely normal for liquid and some blood to come out of the drains - that is what they are there for... However, if there is a LOT of blood, that is not normal.

Do you have anyone that can be with her while you are at work or at least check in on her? Also, are you having to keep them separate now??

Poor Alice :Cry:

It's not a lot, or not what I think is a lot. Not gushing or anything, but when she moves too much a little comes out.

My mom and my husband will be working and all of my friends are either working or the type that wont drive out of town to check one her (I live on the burbs). I only work 5 hours, then I will be home and so will mom. So maybe she'll just sleep the whole time? She usually isn't awake at that time except maybe to roll over.......

They're separated. They have been off and on for months. When they have a bad fight I separate them for a few weeks then let them back. But they KEEP fighting. Alice starts it and Dita finishes it.....

Gizzymom

Banned
It's not a lot, or not what I think is a lot. Not gushing or anything, but when she moves too much a little comes out.

My mom and my husband will be working and all of my friends are either working or the type that wont drive out of town to check one her (I live on the burbs). I only work 5 hours, then I will be home and so will mom. So maybe she'll just sleep the whole time? She usually isn't awake at that time except maybe to roll over.......

They're separated. They have been off and on for months. When they have a bad fight I separate them for a few weeks then let them back. But they KEEP fighting. Alice starts it and Dita finishes it.....

Yea.. that's completely normal for a drip to come out now and then.. and the fluid is usually tinted red from blood. 5 hours shouldn't be bad, especially since they are separated. I would guess she will sleep.. Is she on meds? Then I KNOW she will sleep. When are you supposed to bring her back to your vet?

Give Alice smooches and purrs from Giz and I... tell her we hope she feels better soon... :Cry:

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Poor baby! And poor kitty mommy. It's so hard to know they are injured or ill, and not be able to do much other than sit with them.

Is her cone the hard plastic kind, or the soft, flexible kind? If it's the hard kind, I found I could make Gabe's more secure by using something stretchy (like an old pantyhose leg or tights leg) to thread through the loops, then tie it fairly tight. It still has some "give" so it won't hurt her neck, but is tight enough that she shouldn't be able to wriggle out of it. If the plastic is irritating her neck, you can try putting something soft around her neck before you put the collar on. I used the cuff off an old sweatshirt for Gabe. We have to get creative with these little critters!

Also, if you can, allow her some supervised "cone free" time each day, when you have time to sit and watch her so she doesn't lick or chew where she shouldn't. Gabe has an incredibly strong "licking" urge (see http://www.sphynxlair.com/f29/cone-shame-5771/ )

So, I would allow him some "cone free" licking time each day to keep him relaxed and happier.

Hope Alice feels better soon!

Yea.. that's completely normal for a drip to come out now and then.. and the fluid is usually tinted red from blood. 5 hours shouldn't be bad, especially since they are separated. I would guess she will sleep.. Is she on meds? Then I KNOW she will sleep. When are you supposed to bring her back to your vet?

Give Alice smooches and purrs from Giz and I... tell her we hope she feels better soon... :Cry:

She gets her antibiotics AND pain meds right before I leave, maybe they'll knock her out? I hope so. I don't want her to be lonely. But she has to be in the bedroom so no one tries to play with her.....or attack her......

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I hope she heals quickly for you. Sorry your stressing out over this.
The drains sound as tho they are doing exactly what they need to do.

As far as the cone is concered, if its loose and woobely around her neck if you have a hot glue gun you can take some frabic and hot glue it to the inside of the collar, choose something thick enough to take up the extra space she has without it and hopefully that will help stabilize her cone. I've never tried this but this is what came to mind when you mentioned it.

Your doing a great job,,,just keep an eye on her temp and keep giving her her meds, anything strange occurs then just take her back to the vet.

susi794

Staff member
I am interested to hear what you will do about the fighting.....as I am in the same boat with Boo and Dulce, my spayed female. I know Moody and Boo won't ever be able to be together, but would like Boo to have a buddy and Dulce won't have anything to do with him. Don't want to chance any more vet bills from bites-- to say nothing of the pain for the kitty which is substantial if it feels anything like the bite I got. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Do you think it's just Alice's exuberance? And that maybe she'll grow out of it? I wish you luck and that Alice gets better really soon.

Poor baby!I hope she feels well soon! Is one of them in heat or something? Or do they never get along? I hope things smooth out - it can't be fun for the kits, either!

They are both fixed. Dita was rescued about 4 months ago and she's 9 years older than Alice. Alice hates her and starts fights. Ditas bigger and fights back. I don't know what I'll do. I can't stand the vet bills and the worry but I can't imagine giving up one of my babies.

For now I will seperate them and keep it that way until they can get along. Hopefully they will.

I am interested to hear what you will do about the fighting.....as I am in the same boat with Boo and Dulce, my spayed female. I know Moody and Boo won't ever be able to be together, but would like Boo to have a buddy and Dulce won't have anything to do with him. Don't want to chance any more vet bills from bites-- to say nothing of the pain for the kitty which is substantial if it feels anything like the bite I got. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Do you think it's just Alice's exuberance? And that maybe she'll grow out of it? I wish you luck and that Alice gets better really soon.

I have no idea why they fight. Dita tries to bond, or so I think. She doesn't growl or hiss, just stares back. Alice growls, hisses, attacks and screams. So I blame Alice but Dita is bigger and beats Alice up. And Alice isn't learning. She got scratched bad a while ago, and now this. I think Alice is threatened by another hairless cat. We do have 6 cats right now and maybe Alice is just being territorial. When some of the cats go to their correct homes I hope it can get better. I want my nakeds to be friends......until then. Dita stays with my mom in her room and Alice stays with me with a cone on her head.:ThumbsDown:

How is Alice doing??:Cry:

She's okay I think. No swelling or redness that I can see. She's slept most of the day but still seems to want to eat and watch me. So I'm worrying but I know she's most likely just fine. Just sleepy. I took work off so I can be home with her for the next few days and she wont be alone and have a chance to rip out the drains.

Gizzymom

Banned
She's okay I think. No swelling or redness that I can see. She's slept most of the day but still seems to want to eat and watch me. So I'm worrying but I know she's most likely just fine. Just sleepy. I took work off so I can be home with her for the next few days and she wont be alone and have a chance to rip out the drains.

Do you know when she goes back and gets the drains out?

Back