Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do sphynx cause allergies to humans?

SMakers

Lairian
Hello all,
I’ve wanted a sphynx for a while now but my partner is allergic to cats.
I’ve looked online and found contradicting information.
Can sphynx cats still cause allergies? If anyone can give me any info/advice/experience that would be great.
Thank you!
Sophie

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My husband has allergies and is extremely allergic to my cat. His Dr. told him the problem with Sphynx kitties is when they lick themselves their saliva dries onto their skin and then flakes off. That is what causes the allergies. We thought when we first got my Sphynx that he wouldn’t be allergic. By the time we found out I wasn’t prepared to get rid of my cat. So now we have our bedroom as a zone my kitty never goes into. I damp mop our floors often and my husband takes allergy pills every day. My husband has made it clear once my cat is gone we won’t be getting another so here is hoping she lives for 20 years!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SMakers , welcome, glad you joined us and are asking questions. the info center is a helpful resource . you can tyr the top right search box too for previous threads. they are not hypoallergenic. we have several members that have shared their experiences.
here is an link from the sphynx info center section

Sheldon13

Staff member
Depends on what you are allergic to. Could be saliva, urine, or dander. Most common is the saliva allergy, which a Sphynx would not help with. If you are lucky enough for it to be a dancer allergy, hairless cats are for you

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello all,
I’ve wanted a sphynx for a while now but my partner is allergic to cats.
I’ve looked online and found contradicting information.
Can sphynx cats still cause allergies? If anyone can give me any info/advice/experience that would be great.
Thank you!
Sophie
They can cause allergies.

Each one is different.

For example, my girl who is no longer with us would give me hives. Whereas my other girl really doesn't cause any reaction.

There is no way of knowing unfortunately.

NakieCatMom

Lairian
Everyone is going to be different but I can tell you my experience. I am highly allergic to cats. Like has been mentioned in other comments, most people that are allergic to cats are allergic to an enzyme in the saliva. When you have a hairy cat, that saliva gets all over the hair and dander and goes flying.

I don't have any problem with my Sephie but I do take precautions. I wipe her down daily with unscented baby wipes just to get any dander and saliva off of her. I never ever touch my face after touching her and I don't let her touch my face if I can avoid it. I wash my hands frequently, especially after touching her. I keep allergy medication, antihistamines, on hand just in case but I haven't needed them.

guinnesspop

Lairian
I've had all sorts of animals in my life: rats, rabbits, long haired cats, a dog for a hot minute. I've even been around cows, horses and chickens. Em is the only animal I've ever reacted to. My eyes burned when I stayed in the room with her for too long and I was a snot factory. It sucked! I couldn't wear my contacts and any time I went to get groceries people were very suspicious of my sniffling! Luckily, I either got used to it or the whole thing was a giant coincidence. The first three weeks were rough and after that it trailed off. I've had her since November and now there are no issues; I can rub my face all over her without any problems.

My partner had the opposite experience. My previous cat, a long haired old man, caused him hives, itchy eyes, snottiness, the whole bit. Way worse than I was with Em, and with even the most careful of handling. He's had no problems with her since the very beginning, and it's been really nice to see him be able to snuggle her without worry.

Two things that I suspect have helped: 1) we kept her confined to one room for the first week and only slowly let her explore the house. This is good practice anyway, but it gave me a chance to get used to the new allergen. 2) We switched her to a high quality food. This helped her skin a ton (went from once a week bath to once a month baths) and that was primary reason we switched, but I'm certainly not complaining about the other benefits. Seconding the recommnendation above to go visit a cattery if possible, though keep in mind that individual cats are still going to produce different levels of the individual allergens. I've heard wonderful things about the Purina food that's supposed to stop allergies but haven't tried it myself.

Back