Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do Sphynx Spray?

Jenna311

Lairian
Im looking to get a kitten but I already own a 3yr old female short hair persian. She is super layed back and nothing bothers her. I know Sphynx are suppost to get along with any animal.But do they spray to mark whats theirs? Ive been reading about their cats fighting and not getting along.but that doesnt worry me. my cat lives in one rm and never leaves it for what ever reason.Once in a blue moon she will come down stair to sit and watch tv.But im most worried about them marking things. Have anyone ever had any problems with this?

Jenna

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jenna and welcome,
The Sphynx cat is not any different then any other breed of cat when it comes to spraying. If you get your cat fixed at an early age the spraying should not be a problem, but like any other cat breed there is no guarantee.:BigSmile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
As the Admin said, there is no guarentee (females can spray too) but early neutering seems to drastically lower the chances. I once owned 3 male Sphynx and have had 6 male DSH over time and never had a spraying issue. I highly recommend spaying/neutering young.

A few people here at SL have had experiences with spraying. I hope they will share what they did to stop it and what products they used for cleaning. Cat Urine where it shouldn't be is never fun.:Badly:

susi794

Staff member
Moody was a terrible sprayer! I had to follow him around with a spray bottle of vinegar water in one hand and enzyme cleaner in another. I had to have all the carpet removed in my house so I could keep up with it. BUT that is because Moody was an intact, sexually active male and a cryptorchid (having an undescended testicle which pumped testosterone constantly). He was almost 4 when I got him neutered and the vet said he might continue to spray, but he totally stopped. Now, I have Boo, an intact sexually active male who thankfully doesn't spray at all. None of my girls has ever sprayed. But admin told you the truth--any cat can spray. I have several urine removal recipes will find them and post one.

susi794

Staff member
Here's the best urine removal recipe I've tried:
Cat Urine Removal Recipe
1. If the cat has recently urinated on the carpet, first absorb as much of the cat urine as possible using paper towels or an old towel. Place clean paper towels over the cat urine area and tread on them so as to absorb as much of the urine as possible. Repeat with dry towels until no more moisture can be absorbed.
If the cat urine has dried and you are not sure where the soiled area is you can use a black light to detect it. In a darkened room the black light will pick up urine and other stains. Hand held black lights can be purchased for between $15 to $25
2. Next, wet the area with a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Make sure you use enough of the solution to penetrate the fibres deep down. Allow it to dry. You can assist drying by blotting with paper towels as described above. A fan can also be used to assist drying. If you own a wet and dry vacuum extractor use that to remove excess moisture.
The acidity of the vinegar will neutralize the ammonia in the cat urine.
3. Apply a liberal amount of baking soda over the affected area and drizzle it with a quarter of a cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with a teaspoon of dishwashing detergent. Work it in with a scrubbing brush or your fingers (be sure to wear rubber gloves) to dissolve the baking soda and work it down into the carpet. Allow it to dry. Then vacuum.
The vinegar will neutralize the ammonia and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer capable of killing bacteria which cause the urine smells. Baking soda is a well known deodorizer which absorbs odors. Sprinkle it on your carpet monthly then vacuum up to keep your carpet smelling fresh all the time.
Important. Never use ammonia or ammonia-based products on the carpet. One of the ingredients of urine is ammonia and your cat may well be encouraged to re-offend in the same area if it detects the smell of ammonia. Many household cleaners contain ammonia so be sure to read the label.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

It depends on the cat.
I have all girls except 1 is a male.
He picks on my girls and hurts them.
My Yoshi sprayed until the day he died and he was altered at 3 months of age.
I could not give him up though because he was my Meekos son.
Females can spray also but it was the males I had problems with and they were altered.
My brothers even sprays his hair.

Nair Bare

Lairian
For years I have used Suzi's white vinegar, hydrogren peroxide, and baking soda and it works well. However if the area is in the sun, it may lighten the area, so be very careful if using this on carpet or fabric. This was one reason why I switched over to Nature's Miracle odor removal products. No worry about changing the color of fabrics and one application seems to cure the problem immediately.
I've never had a cat that sprays, but I do neuter everything as young as possible. But I have housebroken and treated sick or aging Great Danes. Nature's Miracle goes everywhere with me.

Jenna311

Lairian
Thankyou Everyone.Well lets Hope He doesnt Spray.He is exact color that I want (red and white). But my parents would Kill me if he starts straying! Because I already own a female cat would I be better off getting a female cat?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I have 6 girls and 1 boy.
The boy picks on my 2 girl sphynx.
In fact they scream because he is so rough with them.
Are you getting a kitten?
My Poalr is only 8 months and bigger then the girls already.
how old is this boy and has he been altered yet?
It depends on the cat.
My brother has 5 girls and he had 5 boys.
The cats that spray are Ash,Male,Nermal,Male and Itty Bitty,Male
Nermal he had to get rid of because he was wrecking the place and Ash still sprays everything and he was altered at 3 months.
Is your older cat very laid back?
Sphync can be very hyper.

Bella07

Banned
As long as you spay your Sphynx, you shouldn't have a problem with spraying. It'd also help if the other cats in your home are fixed. But, you own a Persian? Pictures please! (I love love love Persians as well!) Congrats on your soon to be new Sphynx, you will have two of the BEST breeds in the world at your house :ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
You have received great advice here. I have nothing to add except Welcome to the Lair and cant wait to see photos of your persian and new Sphynx!

Jenna311

Lairian
www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?pid=30970528&id=1368245018&fbid=1383395589432

Hopefully this link works.It wont let me upload any pics of my persian.If you can see the pic She is an Exotic Short Hair who is a Blue Cream Tabby with a little bit of a marble stripping. She Looks JUST like Nermal from the cartoons. And she has a CLassic Flat Face with an Ultra Flat Nose.Meaning her nose is further in her face then it should be.lol.And she is SUPER calm and laid back. And she was fixed at the age of 2months by the breeder before I got her.She is a perfect cat for people who want a cat but dont want to see her but maybe once a night for 30min.lol.

And Thankyou For All your Help.My Parents are trying to buy a house in Las Vegas so if they do I was going to get this lil Beautiful Red and White male Sphynx.If we dont get the house I am going to have to wait.Because they live Oregon and I live in Las Vegas but my place is a rental.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is pretty.
We use to rent and had to pay for new rugs because of my male peeing all over.
I hope they gtet the house.
Is the sphynx from a breeder?

Jenna311

Lairian
Yes I was going to get him from a breeder in Las Vegas.But we didnt get house. I dont get the housing market in Las Vegas.We have cash and we offered almost $10,000 over asking price. So I guess I have to wait now. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I met Blanche at the MP TICA Regional July 17th/18th show.
I will b benching with her at future shows.
She was showing Avery her Red/White whole male.
Sorry you did not ge the house.
We kept getting out big before we got our house.
People offered more then we did also but we did get a house 2 years ago.
Keep trying.

Back