Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do you bring your Sphynx to the pet store?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'd like to bring Sophie to the pet store to help her be social.

Do you think its a good idea?

Last time I went to Petco it was Dog Training night - that would've been a disaster. The training was just out and the dogs were going nuts. Any other night I think would be ok.

I love dogs but Sophie has been introduced to two and was not a fan. She hissed and growled.

I want to take her out to socialize in non-stressful situations. So far she's either been stressed at the vet, meeting dogs or car rides she felt were too long. So other than people coming to visit she hasn't been social without stress.

I was thinking if I bring her in her carrier with a harness on and its not too busy I can take her out?

ariena

Lairian
I've never taken my girl to Petco/Petsmart or the like, but as long as she's in her carrier with the harness on, I wouldn't see why this wouldn't work.

The only thing I'd be concerned about bringing MingMing out of the house would be A--her getting away from me or B--her catching something nasty off of another dog or cat. If you safeguard against both of those though, I don't see a problem.

Unless just leaving the house is a problem. Is that true for Sophie? If so, you might want to build up to a pet store visit.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've never taken my girl to Petco/Petsmart or the like, but as long as she's in her carrier with the harness on, I wouldn't see why this wouldn't work.

The only thing I'd be concerned about bringing MingMing out of the house would be A--her getting away from me or B--her catching something nasty off of another dog or cat. If you safeguard against both of those though, I don't see a problem.

Unless just leaving the house is a problem. Is that true for Sophie? If so, you might want to build up to a pet store visit.

Thanks for your reply. She's been out of the house but cries in the car when she's in her carrier. As soon as I park the car and unzip the carrier she purrs! Little brat!

I've brought her to several different family members houses.
1. had a large dog, she hissed and growled from inside her carrier. I put the dog in a different room for the rest of the visit and she was fine.
2. had a small dog- both were loose in a room. She hissed and growled quietly to the small dog who was afraid of her. Put the dog away and she was fine.
3. No other pets, she explored, ran around and was fine.

I just want to keep up her social skills- mostly with other people and letting them handle her. I have no other pets at my house. She cries even during short car rides but I'm not sure if she hates the car or associates it with stress. I sprayed feliway in the carrier but she still cries.

I want to do short car rides to less stressful locations so she knows its not always a "bad thing" is the goal.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi heather,

I can answer this one as I took Piglet out to the pet stores repeatedly while I was "prepping" her for the Denver Pet Partners animal-assisted therapy evaluation last August. I even took her to PetSmart one day at the same time they were having a dog obedience training there, as I wanted her to get used to being around dogs. I did this because she may have to work alongside some therapy dogs on some of her AAT visits. Fortunately Piglet is pretty comfortable around dogs and doesn't seem to get too stressed out when she's around them.

While at the store, I allowed kids and interested adults to pet and/or hold her so that she could get used to being around strangers. However, to make the visits fun for Piglet, I would take frequent "cat tree" breaks so she could play on the cat trees, which she loved. As for transport, I usually brought Piglet into the store in a carrier with her harness and leash on, then I'd take her out of the carrier to walk her around the store on the leash or ride in the shopping cart.

No matter where we'd go, I always kept a close watch of Piglet for any signs of stress or sensory overload. The moment Piglet started looking tired or nervous, I would always make sure to put her back in her carrier and leave the store as soon as possible.

Good luck with Sophie...I'm sure in time she'll get more and more comfortable being "out and about"! :ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have never taken ours to the store just out side in our yard. Sydkat's answer seemed very helpful and I know Butterball has been to pet smart several times.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have never taken ours to the store just out side in our yard. Sydkat's answer seemed very helpful and I know Butterball has been to pet smart several times.

Yes I remember those videos! He looked right at home at Petco, in the cart, in the cat trees!

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I always bring Maggie to the store not just pet stores!!! People always go up to me & magg they r like wow is that 1 of those hairless cats can I touch her & alot of people ask if they can take a pic to show every 1. Me & magg love meeting new people!!! Everyone tells me how calm she is & friendly, she just sits in my arms & when people pet her she licks them

Brooke

Banned
My first boy, Harold, loved going to the pet store! He would prance around all over the counters and show off to everybody...

So, when I got Walter I assumed he, too, would love it...uh...not so much. I had him in his harness, we strolled by the fish so he could look at them swimming around, he showed no interest, and then he jumped onto a cat bed and wouldn't get out of it. I ended up having to buy the stupid thing so I could get him out of the store! That was the last time we went...sigh.

I haven't tried taking the other 3 because, frankly, I don't need any more cat beds! :LOL:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have taken Stella to Petco a couple of times. She does just fine on her harness. She walks me, of course. As expected, she gets a lot of attention (as all of you experience with your little one). Mostly positive attention. There's the occasional "What is that?" and "Oh my god, that's freaky" (I wanted to tell that fellow "Well, so is your face", but I was polite).

Tell me. . . how often do you all encounter the following questions/references?

"Is that a dog?" or "Hey! The Austin Powers Cat!" or "The cat off of Friends!"

Good grief. :p

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Tell me. . . how often do you all encounter the following questions/references?

"Is that a dog?" or "Hey! The Austin Powers Cat!" or "The cat off of Friends!"

Good grief. :p

Actually, all of the above...sigh. And because of the way Rachel's sphynx cat acted in that "Friends" episode, a lot of people think that sphynx cats are mean and temperamental, when they are anything but! They are usually shocked to see how friendly and outgoing Piglet is when they approach her.

I also hear the comments, " I thought that was a chihuahua!" and the ever-classic, "Hey, is that E.T? Phone home, E.T. " :Dizzy:

ssummers

Lairian
Is there a particular way you all trained your sphynx to walk with a harness? Whenever I put Coraline's on, she flops around on the ground and pretends like she can't walk. I'd love any tips to getting her to wear it so we could go out, too!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Actually, all of the above...sigh. And because of the cat in that "Friends" episode, a lot of people think that sphynx cats are mean and temperamental, when they are anything but! They are usually shocked to see how friendly and outgoing Piglet is when they approach her.

I also hear the comments, " I thought that was a chihuahua!" and the ever-classic, "Hey, is that E.T? Phone home, E.T. " :Dizzy:

You're right! I've told several that Friends made the breed look evil, when in fact they are the sweetest ever!

Yes, I should have mentioned the chihuahua reference. The cynical side of me wants to respond "Are you talking about my cat or are you referring to your reflection?" BUT ONCE AGAIN, I'm polite.

On a lighter note, my mom called me while I was at work today to tell me The View displayed some cats in costumes, including two sphynx. :)

By the way, I apologize for getting off of the original subject!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is there a particular way you all trained your sphynx to walk with a harness? Whenever I put Coraline's on, she flops around on the ground and pretends like she can't walk. I'd love any tips to getting her to wear it so we could go out, too!

I wish I had a good answer for you, but when I first put a harness on Piglet, she took to it right away like she had worn one all her life. One thing you can try, though, is to put the harness on Coraline (with no leash) a few times a day for a few minutes at a time while she's in the house. Give her a treat each time after you remove the harness. Then after she gets a little more used to wearing the harness, you can add the leash and just let her walk wherever she wants to go with you holding the leash loosely. Slow and easy introductions seem to work the best with sphynx cats.

Another tip: Coraline may like wearing the harness better if she has a t-shirt on underneath it. :Smile:

You're right! I've told several that Friends made the breed look evil, when in fact they are the sweetest ever!

Yes, I should have mentioned the chihuahua reference. The cynical side of me wants to respond "Are you talking about my cat or are you referring to your reflection?" BUT ONCE AGAIN, I'm polite.

On a lighter note, my mom called me while I was at work today to tell me The View displayed some cats in costumes, including two sphynx. :)

By the way, I apologize for getting off of the original subject!

I don't know why people feel compelled to make silly comments about sphynx cats....it only shows their ignorance all the more! :Worn-out:

I like hearing that a couple of sphynx cats were featured on The View....just goes to show that more and more people are starting to appreciate this breed! :ThumbsUp:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it depends on personality. I would never take Bayleigh out just to be social because she stresses way too easily. Blue, on the other hand, LOVES to go anywhere....camping, the petstore, car ride, etc. At the pet store, as soon as he is out of the carrier & on a leash, he will lead me right to the cat trees lol Like others have said, a lot of people stare & ask questions but almost everyone is won over once they to interact with him. I consider Blue to be a "sphynx ambassador" :BigSmile:

I would say give it a try and as long as she's safe, comfy and not too stressed, why not?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all for the encouragement. Sophie's first trip out was a success! She met 6 people and seems ok with the attention. One girl said,"my friends and I were debating if hairless cats were ugly or not. I thought they were, but now I change my mind completely."
I thought that was somewhat sweet, no? :LOL: Glad to have changed someones mind I guess.

Two of the cashiers said to bring her back soon! :ThumbsUp:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all for the encouragement. Sophie's first trip out was a success! She met 6 people and seems ok with the attention. One girl said,"my friends and I were debating if hairless cats were ugly or not. I thought they were, but now I change my mind completely."
I thought that was somewhat sweet, no? :LOL: Glad to have changed someones mind I guess.

I'm glad it went well! It's good to hear that Sophie's adorable-ness changed that girl's mind. :)

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have brought Piglet to work with me ( I work in a nursing Home). He was stressed at frist, but soon relaxed. By the end of the day, he was sleeping away in his bed, no problems. He will go back sometime, just not until next summer. My office gets cold and stays cold.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

That's awesome, heather! I knew Sophie would do well. :Laugh: It's funny how quickly people get charmed by this breed once they've actually seen them in person. :Adore:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's awesome, heather! I knew Sophie would do well. :Laugh: It's funny how quickly people get charmed by this breed once they've actually seen them in person. :Adore:

I know! I actually forgot to mention that girl took a picture of her too :LOL:

I'll never forget the first time I saw a Sphynx at a cat show. Of course it was love at first site. :Adore: and that was over 10 years ago.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know! I actually forgot to mention that girl took a picture of her too :LOL:

I'll never forget the first time I saw a Sphynx at a cat show. Of course it was love at first site. :Adore: and that was over 10 years ago.

Ah, heather, you're lucky to have actually seen them that long ago. :BigSmile: The first time I ever saw a sphynx in person was when I visited a sphynx breeder in Denver last December. After spending just a few minutes with his cats, I fell in love with the sphynx breed and I knew I just HAD TO HAVE ONE for myself one day!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ah, heather, you're lucky to have actually seen them that long ago. :BigSmile: The first time I ever saw a sphynx in person was when I visited a sphynx breeder in Denver last December. After spending just a few minutes with his cats, I fell in love with the sphynx breed and I knew I just HAD TO HAVE ONE for myself one day!

It was the only sphynx at the show and he looked just like Brooke's Walter. I wasn't allowed to touch him but he was so beautiful. But then I never saw one again until I picked up Sophie!

It's funny how you "just know" that you must have one. I felt the same way!

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
I decided to get Pagan prior to ever meeting a Sphynx in person. I finally got to meet Pagan's playmate, the kitten my coworker adopted. OMG what a gorgeous kitten and so sweet but alert too. She just soaked up all the love she could get. My coworker says she isn't exactly cat-like and she isn't exactly dog-like but is more monkey-like, lol. I've been told she throws herself at her owner, lol. :)

I hope if you guys are taking your kits to the Petsmarts/cos, you aren't really going with the intention to shop. I don't think you will get anything done with your babies in tow! Too many people will want to admire them.

I have nothing against taking pets to the big mart stores, but I am a little squeemish about picking up diseases and disrespectful people (rude children especially) kinda bug me. You know the type...shoving hands at your pet without asking and not approaching kindly.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I take Meecho everywhere. She especially loves the outdoor markets and flea markets, but since it's getting cold we are going to have to take our walks indoor. She doesn't really care where it is. She just sits at the front of her stroller with her little paws holding onto the outside just like a kid in a stroller and watches everything. People are always shocked to find that she isn't being held in there by a leash or anything. I did run into problems with car sickness but I bought her a car seat and that eliminated that.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I take Meecho everywhere. She especially loves the outdoor markets and flea markets, but since it's getting cold we are going to have to take our walks indoor. She doesn't really care where it is. She just sits at the front of her stroller with her little paws holding onto the outside just like a kid in a stroller and watches everything. People are always shocked to find that she isn't being held in there by a leash or anything. I did run into problems with car sickness but I bought her a car seat and that eliminated that.

That's so cute. I need to find myself a pet stroller!

Brooke

Banned
That's so cute. I need to find myself a pet stroller!

Look on ebay!! I got mine for $50 (including shipping), It was brand new, really sturdy and well-made and SO much cheaper than what they charge at a pet store! It has a storage basket on the bottom, cup holders, all-terrain wheels with locks, fully enclosed or I can leave it open, and front- and rear-entry, and holds up to 30 pounds. I love it! (Kalliee, I think that's where you got yours, too, right?)

One thing, though, I got the lime green one, not realizing it was neon lime green...I would recommend getting a different color. :LOL: But, at least I don't have to worry about being hit by a car - there's NO WAY anyone can claim they don't see me!!

Back