Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do you brush your sphynx teeth?

Luckless Poppy

Lairian
Hey everyone! We just brought our little guy home on the 8th and I was wondering, do any of you brush your kittens teeth? I read daily brushing is best with weekly being the very least. Do any of you have advice or favorite products? Thanks a bunch in advance!
(I mean, look at those teeth... I want to keep them looking that good ;)
image.jpg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
:D Brushing is best if you can. Also, there is a Daily Oral care for breath and gums, etc. You can add to their
water. If you don't use a water fountain, I bought a fountain for my prissy priss Izmae when I got her
and she won't drink from it. Or you could also, fix a glass just for your babies and put it in a place you know they will drink it.
Izmae has her own glass besides her bowl. It sits on the dresser in our bedroom.
Here is a link for it. http://tropiclean.com/products/oral-care/details/water-additive-for-cats1

Luckless Poppy

Lairian
:D Brushing is best if you can. Also, there is a Daily Oral care for breath and gums, etc. You can add to their
water. If you don't use a water fountain, I bought a fountain for my prissy priss Izmae when I got her
and she won't drink from it. Or you could also, fix a glass just for your babies and put it in a place you know they will drink it.
Izmae has her own glass besides her bowl. It sits on the dresser in our bedroom.
Here is a link for it. http://tropiclean.com/products/oral-care/details/water-additive-for-cats1
Thanks, ok I didn't even think of the additive. We had that for a dog once :)

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I brush Fluffy's and Moses' teeth at least once a week. I use a vanilla-mint flavored pet tooth paste, which remarkably, they don't mind. I'm at chemo right now, so I can't check the brand, but I get home, I can check for you. They each have their own small, soft bristle baby tooth brushes I use instead of pet tooth brushes, only because they were cheaper and fit better then The pet ones.

Jen

Luckless Poppy

Lairian
Thanks everyone! Yeah I need to get something for him. I've heard it's no easy task hehe but I really want to try brushing his teeth every day. I thought of a finger brush but wanted to see if anyone found a good routine and products! That vanilla mint sounds good to me!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use toothpaste & toothbrush kit from petco. The toothpaste is chicken flavored and I find it to have a weird lingering smell but the boys seem to like it and will lick it up.

We brush as part of the after bath routine so every 1 week or so.

Water additive wouldn't work for us as when you feed raw they drink little to no water.

Luckless Poppy

Lairian
I use toothpaste & toothbrush kit from petco. The toothpaste is chicken flavored and I find it to have a weird lingering smell but the boys seem to like it and will lick it up.

We brush as part of the after bath routine so every 1 week or so.

Water additive wouldn't work for us as when you feed raw they drink little to no water.
I was just saying how I was worried that he isn't drinking much water (that I've noticed) It didn't even hit me that raw has lots of water until you said it :) That's a good way to remember, after the bath. We made his "wash" day Wednesday, so tomorrow... I'm going to TRY to brush his teeth everyday after I brush my sons teeth for bed. We'll see how that goes!

fuzzy bare

Lairian
I brush Fluffy's and Moses' teeth at least once a week. I use a vanilla-mint flavored pet tooth paste, which remarkably, they don't mind. I'm at chemo right now, so I can't check the brand, but I get home, I can check for you. They each have their own small, soft bristle baby tooth brushes I use instead of pet tooth brushes, only because they were cheaper and fit better then The pet ones.

Jen
I like the idea of the baby brushes. hope the chemo is going well.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Brushed and ^Omar Da Cat^ still had to have a canine tooth pulled

Toby likes chicken greenies but not Macie or Claire Bare..

How are Greenies different than munching their dry food? Are greenies hype?

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't brush his teeth but I probably should :unsure: The cats do love greenies, though! Greenies are supposed to be good for their teeth. I probably have a brushing kit in my house somewhere because I used to brush my other cats' teeth. I'll give it a try on Buster sometime soon!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My boy's teeth are not looking good for such a young'un (1-1/2 years), says the vet. Today I bought a tube of poultry toothpaste ("saveur volaille" :D) which he actually LICKED OFF MY FINGER ((y)), and I will try Babies-R-Us tonight for a teeny toothbrush. Wish me luck!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
I try my best! I tried the finger thing on m bengal and didn't work for her.. You can also try a quality gauze pad ( not the roll linty stuff)

I am also going to try one of my little round oral b electric tooth brush heads ( not on or attached of course) I just like the shortness of it

Back