Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do You Give L Lysine To Your Cats?

susi794

Staff member
Just would like to know in what form you give L Lysine? I see it in treats--but it said 10 treats per day per cat--that's pricey with 8 adult cats. They sell it in powder form--but how do you control the dosage? They sell it in gel form and they sell it in liquid form for human consumption--is it the same? How do you guys admisiter it to your cats?

PitRottMommy

Banned
Just would like to know in what form you give L Lysine? I see it in treats--but it said 10 treats per day per cat--that's pricey with 8 adult cats. They sell it in powder form--but how do you control the dosage? They sell it in gel form and they sell it in liquid form for human consumption--is it the same? How do you guys admisiter it to your cats?

I give lysine to my cats in random spurts. None of mine suffer any URI or eye problems, so there's not much reason. That being said, it's already included in the food we feed.

One thing to know about lysine is that you cannot overdo it. It's not something that's stored greatly in the body, so giving them "too much" isn't going to hurt them. An adult cat can easily receive 1000mg each day. The powder (and gel) should come with a dosing method. For example, a scoop for the powder and a denotation that "1 tsp=300mg lysine"). You can use lysine marketed for humans, it's the same product.

susi794

Staff member
But if I just dump it in the food, how do I know who gets it? None of my cats have herpes virus either--but am beginning to wonder about Lulu--she's been on antibiotics for five days now and continues to sneeze--not often but when she does, about 5-6 sneezes in a row. Sneezing is a symptom of herpes virus in cats, isn't it? She has no eye or nasal discharge though--not even the slightest weepy eyes. I think it won't hurt to be proactive--what do you think? Shouldn't I be seeing a reduction in the sneezing if the antibiotic is going to take care of it?

Brooke

Banned

I'm using the treats right now. The maintenance dose is 5 treats per day. During a flare-up they recommend giving 10 per day.. but, you're absolutely right - with my four cats its getting expensive! With just one cat, the bag of treats would last a month, but now I'm going through a bag each week @ $15 per bag. I'm going to keep giving them the treats, but just use them as treats - not rely on them solely as my Lysine source. In my house, I do have FHV issues, so it's important for me to make sure they're getting at least the minimum dosage.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy it in powder form and start adding it to their drinking fountain and mixing it into their raw food. They eat from separate plates, so it should be fairly easy to make sure they're getting the right amount, and whatever they aren't getting will be picked up with what I add to the drinking water. And, like pitrottmommy said, it's okay if they get more than the recommended dose.

The human version of Lysine should be the same as the feline version. My only concern would be if the manufacturer has added anything additional that might not be safe for a cat, so obviously check the label and make sure it's just Lysine and nothing else.

Brooke

Banned
But if I just dump it in the food, how do I know who gets it? None of my cats have herpes virus either--but am beginning to wonder about Lulu--she's been on antibiotics for five days now and continues to sneeze--not often but when she does, about 5-6 sneezes in a row. Sneezing is a symptom of herpes virus in cats, isn't it? She has no eye or nasal discharge though--not even the slightest weepy eyes. I think it won't hurt to be proactive--what do you think? Shouldn't I be seeing a reduction in the sneezing if the antibiotic is going to take care of it?

I think it's definitely a good idea to have all of them on Lysine, for good measure. Even if the cats don't have any outward signs of FHV, I've read studies that say up to 90% of cats have been exposed to the herpes virus. So, though they may never have any problems, they very well could be carriers. Lysine is a great all-around immune booster anyway.

To give an example of how well Lysine works - I had never had any issues whatsoever with Nelson - never had a snotty nose, goopy eyes, URI or anything and he's been on Lysine since I brought him home. I ran out of Lysine for 3 days and now he's got ulcers in both eyes. That was enough evidence for the ophthalmologist to contribute his eye problems to feline herpes!

PitRottMommy

Banned

If you mix it in, and all of your cats eat it, they'll be receiving the lysine. It's safe to say that with mixing no pet is going to be receiving a certain amount. Most sources recommend 200mg lysine/day. If you put in a dose that is closer to 500mg/cat...you should be easily safe. If you're truly that concerned, look for a treat that's higher in lysine and lower in cost.

If Lulu is not improving on the abx, she may need a change. There's some bearing in expecting an antibiotic to work right off, but if she's had this antibiotic before--she may be resistant (or the bacterium may be resistant). Changing abx or doubling up should do the trick. Adding lysine should help, too. If cost is a major factor try giving it to just her, since she's the one showing signs. Sneezing can be a sign of herpes...but it can also indicate allergies, changes in weather, inhalant disturbances in the mucosal membranes, something stuck in the nose, an URI, a LRI, etc. I think being proactive, in her case, is wise. Esp since you have other cats. Being proactive in all of them, if you can afford it, would be the best effort, if made.

susi794

Staff member
I bought a bottle of L Lysene 500 mg. tablets for human consumption at WalMart for $5.00 and I have a mortar and pestle--can I just grind it up and add it to their food and/or their fountain?

Brooke

Banned
I bought a bottle of L Lysene 500 mg. tablets for human consumption at WalMart for $5.00 and I have a mortar and pestle--can I just grind it up and add it to their food and/or their fountain?

Yes! Boy, that's a big savings, isn't it? I might have to look into that!

susi794

Staff member
Yes! Boy, that's a big savings, isn't it? I might have to look into that!
It's got 250 tablets in the bottle too! Checked the ingredients--it says: 500 mg L-Lysine (as L-Lysine Hydrochloride) Other Ingredients: Cellulose (plant origin), Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate

Is that the same ingredients as in your stuff? Is any of that bad for cats?
Brooke, you add it to their fountain and it doesn't clog it up? I just bought that fountain you told us about--love it. So do they--I had a different kind before and it never worked so well--and was twice or three times the price of this one.

Brooke

Banned
It's got 250 tablets in the bottle too! Checked the ingredients--it says: 500 mg L-Lysine (as L-Lysine Hydrochloride) Other Ingredients: Cellulose (plant origin), Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate

Is that the same ingredients as in your stuff? Is any of that bad for cats?
Brooke, you add it to their fountain and it doesn't clog it up? I just bought that fountain you told us about--love it. So do they--I had a different kind before and it never worked so well--and was twice or three times the price of this one.

I just looked it up, and those ingredients are fine. In fact, I found them listed in the ingredients of some natural cat vitamins. The Lysine in my treats is L-Lysine monohydrochloride. (not sure what the difference is??)

Glad the new fountain is great! I have the Catit dome, and I love it but it's very hard to clean, so I've been thinking about getting a new one. Now I know which one to get!

I haven't used the powder in my fountain yet, but it was recommended to me by someone who does it daily with no problems. I imagine if you just dissolve it in some water first, and then add it to the fountain it should be fine. I'll let you know how it works out.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I just looked it up, and those ingredients are fine. In fact, I found them listed in the ingredients of some natural cat vitamins. The Lysine in my treats is L-Lysine monohydrochloride. (not sure what the difference is??)

Glad the new fountain is great! I have the Catit dome, and I love it but it's very hard to clean, so I've been thinking about getting a new one. Now I know which one to get!

I haven't used the powder in my fountain yet, but it was recommended to me by someone who does it daily with no problems. I imagine if you just dissolve it in some water first, and then add it to the fountain it should be fine. I'll let you know how it works out.

There's no difference between Lysine and Lysine MH. Both are most likely MH and only one product is listing it as such.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I give Lysine to Stella using the gel. She sees it as a treat because she will run to me when she hears the lid pop. I double the dosage when she is having a flare up. I'm glad this thread was posted, because I wasn't sure if I could give some to Izzy. Although Izzy shows no signs of FHV, I feel it will be necessary to give her some. I feel guilty hiding from her when I give Stella some.

CoolSphynx

Lairian
Hi Susi,

I would suggest just using it in their food right now because some kitties will avoid drinking because the taste in water is more noticeable. If you add it to the water, maybe do it in regular bowls so they don't associate the new fountain with a different taste? Just a thought. The Viralys lysine powder is supposed to be more palatable, but is more costly. I am doing what you mentioned with grinding pills and putting it in the food. When someone has a flare up, I give the gel as well.

susi794

Staff member
Well, I put some in their fountain and promptly clogged it--now after
two days or so , it has died. So that was a bad idea. I took it apart and cleaned everywhere I can see to clean it, but it's dead.

Brooke

Banned
two days or so , it has died. So that was a bad idea. I took it apart and cleaned everywhere I can see to clean it, but it's dead.

Oh no!! Was it the powder? or the crushed pills?? :Surprise:

PitRottMommy

Banned

I wonder how those who've had luck with it managed. Perhaps the gel?

Brooke

Banned
I wonder how those who've had luck with it managed. Perhaps the gel?

No, it was recommended to me by someone who puts the Viralys powder in her fountain daily.

That's why I'm wondering if maybe one of the ingredients in the pills is the culprit? cellulose or something?? that sucks...I was going to put powder in my fountain tonight...now I'm scared.

PitRottMommy

Banned
No, it was recommended to me by someone who puts the Viralys powder in her fountain daily.

That's why I'm wondering if maybe one of the ingredients in the pills is the culprit? cellulose or something?? that sucks...I was going to put powder in my fountain tonight...now I'm scared.

I would be too.

susi794

Staff member
I was putting in enough for 8 cats--was probably way too much powder--the other woman you're talking about was probably only putting in enough for one or two cats.

Fountainrunner

Lairian

That is exactly what I did. I bought the bottle of L Lysene at Wal-Mart for $5 and I give my kitty half a tablet stuffed in a treat and he just gobbles it down.

Brooke

Banned
What kind of treat will hold the half pill--even at half they are fairly large?

Hey Susi,
So, I took your advice - got a bottle of Lysine pills (CVS was having a buy one, get one free sale!) and then bought a pill splitter. If I split the pills in half and then in half again, and then stuff 1/4 into a pill pocket, the kitties gobble them right up!

You're right, half a pill is too big for a pill pocket, but 1/4 fits in there just right and the cats are more than happy to get 2 pill pockets each. :BigSmile:

They didn't have any problem with the taste either...I guess Lysine pills don't taste bad??

Fountainrunner

Lairian
What kind of treat will hold the half pill--even at half they are fairly large?

My vet gave me these huge pill pockets. I could fit a whole Lysine pill in it easily. I break the pockets in half and put half a pill inside. My kitty just bites into it, swallows it whole and then looks at me as if to ask, "Is that all?" :LOL:

I went to Wal-Mart this evening looking to get more pill pockets but they didn't carry it. I'll have to hit up PetSmart this weekend.

susi794

Staff member
Hey Susi,
So, I took your advice - got a bottle of Lysine pills (CVS was having a buy one, get one free sale!) and then bought a pill splitter. If I split the pills in half and then in half again, and then stuff 1/4 into a pill pocket, the kitties gobble them right up!

You're right, half a pill is too big for a pill pocket, but 1/4 fits in there just right and the cats are more than happy to get 2 pill pockets each. :BigSmile:

They didn't have any problem with the taste either...I guess Lysine pills don't taste bad??

Cool....where did you get the pill pockets?

Back