Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do you or would you use "nail caps" on your sphynx?

Please tell us, do you or would you use nail caps on your sphynx?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Why I would NEVER!

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I was thinking about it.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Other - please tell.

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Please tell us, do you or would you use nail caps on your sphynx?

nail caps.jpg

Last edited:

lapril

Lairian
I used to use them when I first got my cats and wasn't sure if they would scratch my furniture. My kitties didn't mind them, and I thought they looked especially cute on Clementine. It was kind of a hassle to replace them every week or 2 though. My babies don't mind me playing with their nails, but I just got lazy and didn't have a significant need for them.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I thought about putting red ones on Izmae one time, just, to see,
what, she, looks like, with her Seal Point color. :smuggrin: probably won't.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We moved on to leather furniture after polling the community and found that our girls had no interest in leather. So no need for the caps in our home.

Voluptcosplay

Lairian
I would if I needed to protect my furniture or if my kitten ends up good enough to be a certified therapy pet and we go visit hospitals or seniors homes . Would be cute to have pink caps. But if not and she uses her cat tree instead of furniture then there would be no need. At least it's an option to steer people away from declawing. I took vet tech in college for a bit and had to learn how to do it and never again.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We've used them a few times on Loki and Gatsby, but we don't really need to use them. They don't scratch up the furniture, and Loki has figured out if he bites them, he gets them all off in less than 24 hours. Gatsby doesn't mind them though.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Never used them and probably never will. I read so much about how these things are bad for cats, and then I also read about cats with issues scratching themselves who was saved by the caps, so now I do understand. When Ossi came to live with us and started scratching on stuff we picked him up millions of times and put him on a scratch board and eventually he learned where to do it. What is right or wrong, I cannot say, but our way worked this time, with this cat...

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, I used to put them on Loki if his neck was scratched up to give it time to heal up.
Never have had a problem with furniture being destroyed by the cats. We have lots of scratching posts and cat furniture throughout the house so they have proper scratching items.

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't use nail caps. Mostly because my cats are adults now and I think it would be too much of a change for them to handle at this age. We do get the cats scratching carpet and furniture sometimes so it would be somewhat helpful but I don't think I will use them. I want them to be able to use their nails (playing, scratching, feeling safe, etc.) even though I would prefer a non scratched-up couch. Oh well!

Snapcrcklpop

Lairian
I don't use them on anyone now. But I used to use them for my furry cat when he had a very bad couch scratching habit. He didn't mind us applying them and they stayed on a long time. He wore them for abut 6 months and between wearing those rearranging the scratchers and trees we were able to teach him to scratch in appropriate places. He doesn't wear them now but I keep a supply of them just in case he decides to change his mind ;) I love them! I recommend them as an alternative to all my clients at work who are considering declawing

MsE

Lairian
I've been considering it... I have nice furniture. I worked hard to have nice things, would like to keep it that way... Just worried caps will be more hassle then they are worth

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've used them on Moses before and he didn't mind them at all. He likes them more then getting his nails trimmed every week.

He really hates nail trimming but a few years ago, I started counting his nails as I trimmed and he tolerates it much more. So, when I get to 5, he know we are done on one paw. We only do fronts or backs at a time, so we only count two times and he is done...free to run! But it really helps him. He starts to get antsy around #3 but he'll sit still...I think I taught my cat to count!

Jen

siamjane

Lairian
Mr. Wrinkles only scratches on his kitty scratcher. He actually goes & scratches on it for extra attention since he knows whenever he does he gets a "Good boy!" and kitty loves. Nothing like positive reinforcement to train a cat! (y)

ilovedirt

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We tried them. Ernie kept gnawing them off. I stopped because I was afraid he would swallow them. I couldn't get them off of Pharaoh and Vega, so had to wait until their claws grew out. It was really hard with Vega because he gets so ANGRY during nail trims. Bottom line: the boys' safety, comfort and happiness is far more important than pristine furniture

GalaxySPHYNX

Lairian
Hi everyone :)
I would like to use nails caps but I have a lot of question...
do cat will have any difficulty with them?
what size I need?
how often I need to change them?
Please help me.

Sheldon13

Staff member
@GalaxySPHYNX
I'm sure you long since solved this but...really there are only a couple of sizes. Most wear the regular, and if they are too big you can easily trim them. If it is between declawing (evil) and caps, always use caps. Personally I just trim my kitty's nails. Also, if you have lots of scratching options near the furniture, most cats will happily choose them over your couch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkles83221

Lairian
Never used them...Not opposed to it just worried about the application and re-doing them..I don't even do my nails every 2 weeks...I like to..but I don't.
If I need them we'll try them out...but I'm hoping I can just leave him/her natural.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I had a cat once that I used them on while he was young and rambunctious. He only needed them during his "wild" days lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have enough trouble trimming their nails because they aren't willing participants. Can't imagine being able to put caps on but the caps do seem very practical. It doesn't matter how many scratching things I provide, the sofa eventually gets their attention. But, it's a microfiber sofa so they can't get their claws in it. :stop:

Back