Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Do you travel with your Sphynx?

Do you take your Sphynx cat on day trips, vacations, the park?

• Yes

Votes: 76 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 26.9%

• Total voters

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Not yet maybe we will just so afraid of them getting away. so far we have neutered out 6 month male and had him microchipped, my youngest female has to get fixed and microchipped and my 2 year female we just got that was rehomed with us. needs microchipping...she does walk on a leash:LOL:

Heidi58

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are so lucky - Nika is a great traveler. She has flown many times with my daughter and she loves to ride in the car. My husband has retired and I teach school so I get lots of great vacations and we travel a lot. So far Nika has only gone on local trips with me, but we are looking forward to bringing her on a longer road trip next month.

Loosafur

Lairian
I've had my baby for 6 weeks and hhe's already taken a trip from Michigan to NC. His big sister pretty(Nebelung) has been to Niagara Falls, Chicago, nyc, Michigan, North Carolina, Vermont, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and a list of other places. Everywhere I go they will be my tag alongs.

Yoda mom

Staff member
My nakeds stay here in our little florida sanctuary- no out of state vacations for us- I did all my traveling all over the country when I was younger with my heart dog rottie ^Max^.. Just me and my dog.

I do not take our nakeds to the parks or on walks because of too many irresponsible people and loose dogs that can charge out , and have- out of no where.. (Personal experience) and diseases , parasites they can get- In my heart , I just can't take a chance. Also, there are the thieves that see dollar signs when they see Sphynx they can steal. The first two comments are always-" they are ugly and aren't they expensive"

We stay in our little sphynxie sanctuary here :) - I don't even want them out in the pool lanai enclosure unsupervised because of loose dogs and wildlife critters and thieves- and of course the pool .

They do have have extra large sized rabbit harnesses that are easy on and off that I can walk them around the pool lanai before it gets too hot n sunny :) we have some acreage and an 8 foot fence around it- if I get the urge, I can harness them and put them on a 25 foot flexi leash like I did with my bengal cats years ago- they would line up at the door when they saw the harness come out-

I will have to live vicariously through other Lairians' Sphynx outings :)

Elaina

Lairian
Gabbi goes everywhere with me, she loves the car and meeting people. I took her last weekend for an hour drive to pick up a fridge freezer! :)

bluejay1919

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We take Phoebe on rides all the time. She loves to pick up my daughter from school...and will "load up" when you say that to her. We've taken her to "Nonnie's home" several times (aka inlaws/grandparents ) and even as far as Galveston and stayed at a beach house for a week. She loved it! That particular trip was at least a 6 hour drive for us. Phoebe does wonderfully on trips.

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I plan on trying to bring Mulder as many places as possible. We are trying to do that with our little Maine Coon girl right now. So far she's had a couple quick trips (vet, food pickup) and a longer trip of 45mins or so. She does OK in the car as long as she can sit on your lap.
Once they are big enough for harnesses we want to start taking them to places like Petco/Petsmart, basically teach them that car rides don't always mean a trip to the icky vet!

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My boyfriend lives an hour and a half from me and we take turns going to each other's places on weekends. I bring the kids with me and last weekend they did great sharing the same carrier.

Dexter has been to PetSmart. He was fine until a large dog started barking. I'm not sure if I will be taking him back. Gemma is a bit more timid than Dexter, so I'm not sure I'll be taking her there either. However, I'd love to sneak her into place in my purse!!

They have a stroller which I plan on using once the weather in Chicago warms up. I live in a gorgeous tree line neighborhood with a few parks so I cannot wait!

bluejay1919

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've snuck Phoebe into football games and band competitions before ( husband is a high school principal ) in my purse. I wrapped her up in her blanket and positioned her just right so she can check things out and she loved it!

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've walked through Gurnee Mills, which is a big mall near me and had one of the cats wrapped in a blanket. People thought it was a baby. I also bring mine to the pet store as often as I can

deb jennings

Lairian
Do you take your Sphynx kitty with you on day trips, vacations etc.? Please explain why you do or dont.
Yes, Mr. Bigglesworth goes everywhere with me. On the planes, to work, road trips....you name it. He loves every second of traveling with us and just waits at the door to go with us. He is so well potty trained when flying planes, that I take a foldable litter box with a baggie of paper kitty litter, and prior to boarding we go into the large bathroom stall and he will potty on command. He knows we are boarding a flight and will not have access to his litter box, so he does his thing, we flush it, wash out his portable litter box, load it up and head onto the plane. He lays is in blanket on my lap the entire time and doesn't move unless he licks his lips asking for a drink of water. At which time, I whip out the water bottle in my bag and he gets his drink. He eats about 10-15 kernels of food out of my hand about every 1.5 hours while on the plane. He is a person in a cat's body. My best friend in every way.

Rachlp

Lairian
We are currently touring the USA in an RV with our children and Donald, so he comes on sight seeing trips, he comes to sit by the pool (in his special carrier) he comes even to Walmart lol, we are now about to leave the US and head for Mexico. Everyone always comments how chilled he is, he isn’t fussed about anything, we are currently trying to harness training but is great even in an RV.