Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dobby got skin problems! Allergic reaction?

DobbyandGodiva

Lairian
Hey guys my lil Dobby has today come up in a rash, no change in food over the last few days or litter etc and I’m not sure what else to think of, he’s booked in at the vets in two weeks for a check up anyways as that’s the soonest appointment but I’m wondering if you think you know what this could be?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5705.jpeg
    IMG_5705.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5707.jpeg
    IMG_5707.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 26

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some sphynx are more sensitive to anything with scents. Perhaps change the fabric softener to one that’s hypoallergenic or for sensitive skin.

wesleydeman

Lairian
I've stepped away from using fabric softener for a long time, I currently use natural vinegar instead (when washing my own clothing I also add scent beads). My main reason was that fabric softener just left horrible stains on my clothing. I also use hypoallergenic detergent when I wash the clothing and baskets of my Sphynx's. Same for shampoos, hypoallergenic. And for sponges I use sea sponges, since they're hypoallergenic.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DobbyandGodiva , does Dobby wear any clothing ? heated blanket? some can get a prickly heat type rash/sweat rash.
I also stopped using dryer sheets. I use those wool balls in the dryer without any issues to date with my crew.
keep us updated often. hugs n head smooches to your babies
a member in the past shared her baby was allergic to gain detergent. not sure what brands you use. here is a link from the information center

Last edited:

wesleydeman

Lairian
@DobbyandGodiva , does Dobby wear any clothing? heated blanket? some can get a prickle heat type rash .
Good that you say that, my boy got a bit of a slight red bumpy rash last winter when he wore clothing a lot. I keep my house at 22c (71.6f) during the day, so they mostly don't wear clothes anymore, only if I notice if it's a bit more chilly in house.

DobbyandGodiva

Lairian
Hey guys thanks so much for all your responses, I’m a brand new Sphynx mummy so I’m nervous about everything. I’ll switch out my clothes washing bits asap and see if that has an effect. He hasn’t been wearing lots of clothes only to try on a little hoodie when I first got him on Thursday last week.
It’s so interesting that his skin feels so different to his sisters, hers is almost downy in nature and feels very smooth and his is a little clammy to the touch and gets oily quicker.
It’s difficult to say what it could be as I suppose there are so many options, could be my perfume for all I know! He’s also started biting his sister quite a lot and suckling her so could just be the stress of a new home and leaving his mum?

Back