Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dobby Pooping Outside of the Box.. please advise!

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
So, my normally well-behaved 1 yr old boy, Dobby, has all of a sudden taken to pooping outside of his litter box. The trouble started when he was at my ex gf Krystine's house for a week, when i did some travel for work. She has one of Dob's little sisters from the subsequent litter, about 6 months his junior. She kept finding loose poops out of the litter box, and assumed it was her kitten, as she'd had a rough start to potty training. (but has been good for months)

Then Dobby was caught in the act. He's been home 5 days, and has had some diarrhea and vomited once.. we already went to the vet, and he's on probiotics. We're not sure if it was from eating plants at Krystine's or its just stress from being in a different place for a week.. Either way, he's being monitored. But now 3 or 4 days consecutive, he's pooped either on a bath mat (3 times in 3 days) or just outside his box (today) I cleaned the bath mats the first 2 times, the 3rd time I threw them out, and he didn't go in the bathroom again. This morning he used his box, like normal, and this afternoon... then I came home from work tonight and this - right by the litter box!

Does anyone have any idea why he's doing this? or any idea how to get him back in the box?!
Frustrated and concerned papa. o_O:confused::arghh:

Shane

Attachments

• Poop.Box.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shanebakertat2 sorry you are experiencing this with Dobby. First let me tell you that his poo pictured above is way too loose and I' wondering why a stool sample wasn't given to the vet for testing for parasites, etc. That would be the first thing I'd want to rule out being that he was in another home sharing a litter box with another cat (even though that cat came from the same breeder...different litter).

What does he eat? Is he on raw, grain-free food? Do you give him 100% Pure Pumpkin with his food? Did your vet give Dobby FortiFlora as the probiotic?

If everything checks out ok with his stool sample, then I'd purchase Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Kitty Litter. Remove all rugs and mats from anywhere that Dobby has access to. Don't put a mat or even a large towel under the litter box either. You might want to add another litter box for the time being. Even if it's pretty much right near his existing one. If he is suddenly going loosely, he may not want to mess his feet going into the one litter box to poop.

Do you have a great enzyme cleaner at home? I have been using Nature's Miracle (just the original one...or the original one scented Lavendar) for a million years! I swear by that product. I have tried other enzyme cleaners here and there, but nothing comes close to Nature's Miracle.

I'll leave you with those suggestions for now. Let me know how it goes and we can discuss further once you make sure it's not a medical issue by the vet checking his stool.

Best of luck, again, I'm sorry you are experiencing this unpleasant adventure with Dobby now.

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
I brought a stool sample with him to the vet, its not a parasite... he's clear on that. Vet said it's more than likely just stress related - and he was having runny stools at Krystine's ... so it bears some weight. He's not on a raw diet - I give him Natural Balance, limited ingredients, grain free Duck and Green pea Kibble, and venison formula canned food. My ex uses cat attract litter, but I've been using "world's best" for 9 months, and he's only ever gone outside of it, when it was too dirty once.

Since he's been home he's been exceptionally vocal. he's usually chatty, but seems whiny, complaining... its a little weird. And I'm going to meet the last litter from their parents this weekend, to potentially adopt him a little sister. :confused::nailbiting:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I totally understand the frustration.

Great advice above, but what about removing the litter box top/hood for a bit too -- make the litter pan more accessible.

Let us know how things go.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is a lot of upheaval for a little guy - home, then different place, nwe kitty, then back home again. He probably just needs to get settled in again to his routine. For what it is worth, I would try everything you can to have a pet sitter come to him next time, instead of taking him to another house when you are gone. Try the pure pumpkin puree in his food to firm up the poop until he settles in again, and hopefully all will be good :)

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
So its not his first time hanging out with his little sis... and he hasn't met the one I'm going to adopt (neither have I, yet) he spent half his time at Krystine's when we were together, I'd be there on weekends, and he knows her and her house, and to an extent that kitten. I removed the hood from the litter box, bath mats are trashed. We'll see what happens. While he's on probiotics, I'm not adding any other foods, don't want to add variables to the mix... thats 7-10 days. hopefully his stools solidify, and his attitude improves~!

In other news, Dobby is the leaping-est, climbing-est little critter... he's found a way to leap straight from the kitchen counter to the tops of the cabinets in one jump. He can also get from my tv stand, to the wall mounted perimeter fluorescent lights. he loves to be tall... pics when I can upload them!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I brought a stool sample with him to the vet, its not a parasite... he's clear on that. Vet said it's more than likely just stress related - and he was having runny stools at Krystine's ... so it bears some weight. He's not on a raw diet - I give him Natural Balance, limited ingredients, grain free Duck and Green pea Kibble, and venison formula canned food. My ex uses cat attract litter, but I've been using "world's best" for 9 months, and he's only ever gone outside of it, when it was too dirty once.

Since he's been home he's been exceptionally vocal. he's usually chatty, but seems whiny, complaining... its a little weird. And I'm going to meet the last litter from their parents this weekend, to potentially adopt him a little sister. :confused::nailbiting:

@Shanebakertat2 being that he's been extra chatty/whiny/complaining since he's back home makes me wonder if he's going through an emotional time or experiencing belly pain (afterall he's got loose stools right now).

It may not matter that Dobby had been to your ex's house with his sister many times before. This time may have been different for him because you were not present. He just might be very attached to you and being that he was not in his regular home and you were missing might have been enough to do a number on his head.

By the way, his diet is a good diet, so don't change anything there. Continue with the probiotic, I'd definitely add a spoonful of 100% Pure Pumpkin in the can (NOT the pie filling with spices in it...the two cans look almost identical). Add a tablespoon to his food twice a day. It will help firm up his poo.

Buy a brand new toy that is either one that you have to play with him (like a new wand toy) or buy him something battery operated that is possibly very different than most of his toys. This is to distract his mind. He needs to focus on other things now to calm his stomach down (if his issue is all emotional).

Definitely get enough Feliway Diffusers to put around your place to help calm him down. They really work. Plug one in near the litter box, not too far away from his food bowl (not right on top of it, but nearby). Plug one in near your bed if he sleeps with you and another one by the couch if he hangs out there during the day. It can be pricey, but it will help calm him and get him back to using the litter box and firming up his poo just along this is all an emotional problem.

When you leave the house to go to work, shop or play, put a radio on for him and give him something to play with that contains catnip if he likes catnip. Keep distracting his mind ... especially if it's a separation anxiety things for him.

Work hard at this, be consistent and clean out his litter box many times during the day so he's not tempted to go elsewhere. The quicker you put a stop to this...the more successful you will be before you know it. And get Nature's Miracle if you don't have a good enzyme cleaner in the house.

Best of luck, Shane and let us know how it goes. Poor Dobby :( Give him an extra hug and kiss for me.

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
So since taking the top off the litter box, we've had 2 successful in the box poops. We'll see how he does when i go to work. I have some pumpkin cans from the last time his stomach was acting up, so that's easy enough. Feliway diffusers are on the shopping list, I've heard they might be helpful in introducing the kitten when she comes home too.
Dobby is definitely very attached to me.. it may be some separation anxiety. He does this every time i walk in the door, sleeps with me at night too.
dobbyNuzzles.jpg

Is the enzyme cleaner specifically found at pet stores? or anywhere cleaners can be found?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shanebakertat2 did you always have that hood on his litter box at home? Also, was the litter box hooded or open by your ex while you were away?

Here is the Nature's Miracle that has been a life saver to me for 30ish years:  (Oh...pet shops sell it, but grocery stores or home centers):

06601684.jpg

This same type also comes scented like in lavender as well as other nice scents. Only buy the one pictured or the scented ones. Don't buy anything specifying for cats or any other type. All pet shops sell it as well as anywhere on the internet.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Shanebakertat2 I made a typo above about where to find the Nature's Miracle, NOT grocery stores or home centers that sell cleaning chemicals. You can only find it at pet shops and on the internet. Glad I just saw my typo.

I'm also glad to hear there was an improvement today with using his litter box. :) YEA, Dobby! Good boy!!!

ericaapatino

Lairian
My cat use to do that and I found out he doesn't kike closed liter boxes so I removed it and he did just fine after that hope this solves your baby pooping out of the box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
While I was at work today... peed in the box, pooped in the box... then, also pooped next to the BOX. I definitely feel like this is some sort of separation anxiety/ rebellion.

I wish i was home more often, but my hours are long. I love this little spaz, and he's better on his own than a dog... hopefully a playmate around the house helps, instead of hurting this paradigm.

bluejay1919

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Glad to hear things are getting a bit better. Definitely sounds like separation anxiety. They get lonely just like we do and after all, you are his Daddy & best buddy.

Dobby is super cute and you seem to be a wonderful cat-daddy. Keep up the great work and post more pics!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
While I was at work today... peed in the box, pooped in the box... then, also pooped next to the BOX. I definitely feel like this is some sort of separation anxiety/ rebellion.

I wish i was home more often, but my hours are long. I love this little spaz, and he's better on his own than a dog... hopefully a playmate around the house helps, instead of hurting this paradigm.

@Shanebakertat2 gee, sorry that Dobby did that again while you were at work. Has his poo firmed up yet or is it still loose? You can add a second litter box like I suggested the other day. The pet shops even sell disposable ones if you didn't want to get anything elaborate. Just to give him more options. The Feliway Diffusers certainly can help with how he's feeling when you are away from him. My oldest one suffers from separation anxiety and I find that leaving the radio on for him absolutely helps him.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shanebakertat2 , i used to leave on animal planet tv but some of the noises were bothersome or too exciting

Now I leave on the news and a radio in my other room

* I wonder if leaving a towel with your scent rubbed on it nearby would be comforting
Like we do with training dogs.

Keep us updated :)

Shanebakertat2

Lairian
yesterday, 1 in the box, 1 out... he was home alone a long while though... Still have to get my diffusers. ugh. but yesterday I visited his parents , and met his new little sister who'll be coming home in 5 weeks. So, hopefully we get all this straightened out before that!Kreacher2.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Look at that grin on your face...lol. It's bigger than the kitten. That sweet little girl already has wiggled into your heart. Hoping the diffusers will help.

Patti

Back