Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does anyone have a Cat Genie??

Kenneth

Lairian
Don't have one but you might also want to look at the Litter Robot. There is a link on here. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and I LOVE IT. It needed the circuit board replaced once and they sent one out to me overnight. Good customer service.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on the price, I would go with the litter robot also. I don't have either :Cry: but would consider the robot if I was going to spring for one!

Kenneth

Lairian
I just went to the site and found this on it. Try the Litter-Robot in your home with our 90 day money back guarantee. Find out for yourself that the Litter-Robot is the self-cleaning litter box that really works. If you or your cat are not completely satisfied with the Litter-Robot, for any reason, just return it within 90 days for a refund (less shipping).

I forgot how expensive these were. I think it went up in price a bit from when I ordered mine. But if for some reason mine broke down I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new one. I hate cleaning litter boxes.

One tip if you do get this. I use the white kitchen bags, I put the whole drawer in the bag and then push it down with my hand. Hard to describe unless you have one. Then while emptying it I turn it inside out.

SpinkieMom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am considering buying one and would like to know who uses it, plus Pro’s and Con’s. TIA :Wink:
I just purchased a CatGenie, but haven't hooked it up yet. I posted looking for advice from existing users, but no one who had one replied. I think if you do a search for CatGenie--one word--you can find them (or look at the bottom of this page at the Similar Threads section) and post on their wall or pm them.

People on the Lair seem more partial to the Litter Robot, but after doing my research, I decided the CatGenie sounded like a better product. I did play it smart and ordered it online from petco (on sale) so I can return it (45 days) easily if there are issues (or CatGenie has a one year warranty). I also purchased the optional sidewalks and dome from amazon and got a better deal overall than if I'd purchased them directly from the website.

Kansascity

Lairian
Thanks to all that have provided information, and feedback on this product. I have also looked at the Robot litter box, leaning towards the CatGenie though.:Sweat:

nerdbynight

Lairian
I had one for about 2 years. They are wonderful, when they work.

Pros: No litter smell, no touching the urine as it is flushed away, no replacing litter.

Cons: It's hard to place. You have to put it near a laundry room, or have it empty into a toilet which you then have to flush after it cleans itself.
You still want to scoop the solids. Trust me. When it scoops them, it then basically puts them in a blender and turns it into a frappe, which it flushes after that. But the process is nosey, and sometimes clogs...then YOU have to unclog and dump the poo frappe yourself.
Also the washing of the granules takes about 20-30 mins...a few times which my cats really had to poop..right next to it. When it washes them it fills itself with water and squirts the "saniserum" and then drys it. Whatever room it's in smells bad and is humid after it dries itself. Also, the "saniserum" cartridges aren't cheap, and only go so many washes.
Oh yeah, and the granules get EVERYWHERE. So much that you have to buy more occasionally. Oh..and they aren't cheap.
Last, was that it LOVED to clog during it's cleaning cycle. About every 2-3 months I was unhooking it, taking it outside, dumping the water while drying not to lose granules, taking it apart, and putting it back together. Which is a huge pain by the way.

After it clogged one day, I just threw it away. $300, in the garbage. I now use FreshStep Crystals. Wonderful stuff.

Labdog

Lairian
Deb, how are you getting on with the catgenie? It sounds fantastic, but I've heard so many bad reviews. I was hoping the newer model would be better?

Back