Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does anyone NOT feed raw?

nikialexander

Lairian
Hi there- we are looking to get a new baby and I’ve found some breeders that I am happy with but a stipulation of the adoption is that they are fed raw food. Our 2.5 yo male we have now was on it before we got him and he does well on kibble and canned food now. I worked as a vet tech for 6 years and it does go against a lot that I have learned in the field as well as articles I’ve read on VIN over the years and presently. I mean no disrespect to anyone that feed their babies raw nor am I implying that they aren’t healthy. I feel like anyone I have seen on Instagram or anything all so pro raw diet and any vet I have spoken with about it is dead set against it. My head says to follow what my vet is saying and they have plead with me not to feed raw. My head says how do you know they are getting all the nutrients a cat requires by just feeding raw and think of all research that goes into veterinary diets and how balanced they are. I would love some feedback or insights from people on here.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m a little biased because I do feed raw and I think it is superior.

That being said, there are many valid reasons not to, chief among them being a cat unwilling to transition. I mean, they gotta eat.

@Catzzzmeow feeds canned Wellness brand.

@Yoda mom I think feeds Royal Canin kibble.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sheldon13

Staff member
As for the vet opinion, you should know that they receive very little education on nutrition while they are in school, and what they do receive is sponsored by kibble companies who have a financial interest in manipulating their education. So do your own research. There are plenty of vets out there who have taken it upon themselves to learn the benefits of raw diet and would support you.

nikialexander

Lairian
Thank you for your response. That is an incredibly great point you made. From working at a clinic, I do know that they get kick backs from selling so much in a year. And you’re right, their education on nutrition is typically provided by the bigger brands. I do hope that they have the best interest of the animals they’re treating and I saw more of the big company recommendations by the practice owner more than the rest of the practicing DVMs. I really am unsure of what to do. We are coming off the heartbreak of losing our 5 month old kitten to FIP in December so this is kind of contributing to the stress of finding one again.
As for the vet opinion, you should know that they receive very little education on nutrition while they are in school, and what they do receive is sponsored by kibble companies who have a financial interest in manipulating their education. So do your own research. There are plenty of vets out there who have taken it upon themselves to learn the benefits of raw diet and would support you.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thank you for your response. That is an incredibly great point you made. From working at a clinic, I do know that they get kick backs from selling so much in a year. And you’re right, their education on nutrition is typically provided by the bigger brands. I do hope that they have the best interest of the animals they’re treating and I saw more of the big company recommendations by the practice owner more than the rest of the practicing DVMs. I really am unsure of what to do. We are coming off the heartbreak of losing our 5 month old kitten to FIP in December so this is kind of contributing to the stress of finding one again.

I don’t think most vets are intentionally pushing an inferior diet while knowing there is something better (though I’m sure they are out there). It’s just all that most of them know. It’s a cultural norm since around 70 years ago, so anything that goes against that is hard pressed to get the message through. Rest assured, it is 99% financial. These pet food companies make bank.

Can I ask if you have done your own research and if there is something that is making you hesitate?

This is my favorite resource to give to start research.

nikialexander

Lairian
I don’t think most vets are intentionally pushing an inferior diet while knowing there is something better (though I’m sure they are out there). It’s just all that most of them know. It’s a cultural norm since around 70 years ago, so anything that goes against that is hard pressed to get the message through. Rest assured, it is 99% financial. These pet food companies make bank.

Can I ask if you have done your own research and if there is something that is making you hesitate?

This is my favorite resource to give to start research.

I agree, I don’t think most of them are doing it intentionally.
the breeder that I was in touch with said she starts feeding them raw at 3 weeks and then they don’t get adopted till they are 16 weeks. I guess I worry that that time period is a critical phase of growth. I’ve been told that feeding them raw isn’t scientifically founded to beneficial. (My family member is a veterinary pathologist so I know she isn’t out for my money).
I guess I’m looking for evidenced based research that isn’t from a company trying to sell their product. I guess an unbiased opinion which I don’t know is possible.

Yoda mom

Staff member
feeding nutrisource cat and kitten food (no recalls ) for nearly 10 years along with a can of proplan urinary focus. no poo or skin issues.

(I adopted bengal many many years ago that owner wanted to feed raw. it was just not in the cards with my schedule, etc and he lived near 18 years not on raw. )

I personally don't do raw here personally, have enough to do with the crew during hurricane season. I tried better in the raw years ago (name changed I think ). my boy ran away in disgust complaining tail twitching lol

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I too do not do a raw diet. My main reason is I am unable to speak the language where I live so I do not trust the freshness of the meat for my little one. I do feed Stella Chewy Goose and Duck at night. It is freeze dried meat.
I am sticking to it, in between kibbles, and boiled chicken as a dinner meal. I have had no skin or poop issues since I got him.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@nikialexander Hi friend!! As you know I do feed raw as I personally feel its the best nutritional option as cats are obligate carnivores in the wild, but my mom @denise irwin (she has Yoda's younger litter mates, and Finn's half sister) only feeds dry food, no wet at all, as well as her coworker who has 4 sphynx herself. I feel like what people feed is really a personal preference!

If it makes a difference, almost all of my moms cats are on the heavier side and I noticed her sphynx teeth are 5x worse then any of my 3, and hers are all younger. I can't say its due to diet alone, but they're all related with the same genetics so I wan't to say diet certainly has an effect there.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I guess I’m looking for evidenced based research that isn’t from a company trying to sell their product. I guess an unbiased opinion which I don’t know is possible.

I get you. Check out the link I posted above. They are not trying to sell you a product. You can use the information for free and buy from whoever you want.

Raw is absolutely the most balanced diet you can give them. Do tigers eat kibble? No, they eat what God and nature intended-raw prey.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I do not feed raw. Never have. I have spoken to my vet, evaluated our lifestyle etc and decided it is not something we would do.

Food is a hot button topic in many groups. There is no pressure/shaming allowed in here. Feed your baby the highest quality food you can afford and that they like. The way I look at it, there are many people that swear by a type of food to feed and yet they don’t fuel themselves as humans 1/2 as healthily as they say to feed their cats. It all starts with educated choices/ingredients. I encourage you to talk to your vet next visit and just sort of get a feel for the pros and cons and then think does it fit your lifestyle that you could/would want to commit to raw.

We do feed Wellness, but we have a girl on prescriptive food so we had to find a logical balance in a multi-cat home that works for us. @nikialexander

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We feed Blue Buffalo canned food. Cleopatra has always eaten commercial food, and throws up dry food. She absolutely refuses to eat any food that isn’t decently canned (except for dried, smoked tuna). Marcus came to us on a raw diet, but about 6 months before we got him, I almost died of food poisoning caused by undercooked chicken. So I was so paranoid about getting sick again, that we changed him over to commercial diets asap. The only skin problems we have are chin blackheads, and while Cleo has allergies to dairy and fleas, both cats are healthy.

nikialexander

Lairian
I get you. Check out the link I posted above. They are not trying to sell you a product. You can use the information for free and buy from whoever you want.

Raw is absolutely the most balanced diet you can give them. Do tigers eat kibble? No, they eat what God and nature intended-raw prey.

It’s very informative; thank you for that!

nikialexander

Lairian
@nikialexander Hi friend!! As you know I do feed raw as I personally feel its the best nutritional option as cats are obligate carnivores in the wild, but my mom @denise irwin (she has Yoda's younger litter mates, and Finn's half sister) only feeds dry food, no wet at all, as well as her coworker who has 4 sphynx herself. I feel like what people feed is really a personal preference!

If it makes a difference, almost all of my moms cats are on the heavier side and I noticed her sphynx teeth are 5x worse then any of my 3, and hers are all younger. I can't say its due to diet alone, but they're all related with the same genetics so I wan't to say diet certainly has an effect there.
Hi Bailey! Haha, yes I do know you feed Raw ☺️. Gully’s teeth have always had that black streak on them since we got him as I was worried the day we got him but apparently that’s typical for the breed?!? He was fed raw up to when we picked him up at 12 weeks. He’s definitely on the larger fupa side I do let him graze whenever he wants as the breeder told me to let him for the first year and then I’ve haven’t really broken him of it since he ate one of his toys and had to have surgery ‍♀️. I’ve tried to give him cooked chicken before and we won’t even touch it but the dehydrated chicken he loves so I feel like he’s my picky one.
The breeder that you were telling me about is strictly raw and it’s in the contract to continue with it so I was just wanting to do my research with things.
Thanks for the info; I appreciate it!

nikialexander

Lairian
We feed Blue Buffalo canned food. Cleopatra has always eaten commercial food, and throws up dry food. She absolutely refuses to eat any food that isn’t decently canned (except for dried, smoked tuna). Marcus came to us on a raw diet, but about 6 months before we got him, I almost died of food poisoning caused by undercooked chicken. So I was so paranoid about getting sick again, that we changed him over to commercial diets asap. The only skin problems we have are chin blackheads, and while Cleo has allergies to dairy and fleas, both cats are healthy.
Good to know! Yikes, I don’t blame you. My boy get some blackheads here and there around his mouth but they always look like little sticks. I don’t know if all Sphynx’s encounter blackheads; i’m guessing it’s like humans where some have it worse than others??

nikialexander

Lairian
feeding nutrisource cat and kitten food (no recalls ) for nearly 10 years along with a can of proplan urinary focus. no poo or skin issues.

(I adopted bengal many many years ago that owner wanted to feed raw. it was just not in the cards with my schedule, etc and he lived near 18 years not on raw. )

I personally don't do raw here personally, have enough to do with the crew during hurricane season. I tried better in the raw years ago (name changed I think ). my boy ran away in disgust complaining tail twitching lol
I feel like I would be similar with my scheduling. Some days it would work but a lot of days it wouldn’t. Thank you for your response!

nikialexander

Lairian
I too do not do a raw diet. My main reason is I am unable to speak the language where I live so I do not trust the freshness of the meat for my little one. I do feed Stella Chewy Goose and Duck at night. It is freeze dried meat.
I am sticking to it, in between kibbles, and boiled chicken as a dinner meal. I have had no skin or poop issues since I got him.
Thank you for your response!

nikialexander

Lairian
I do not feed raw. Never have. I have spoken to my vet, evaluated our lifestyle etc and decided it is not something we would do.

Food is a hot button topic in many groups. There is no pressure/shaming allowed in here. Feed your baby the highest quality food you can afford and that they like. The way I look at it, there are many people that swear by a type of food to feed and yet they don’t fuel themselves as humans 1/2 as healthily as they say to feed their cats. It all starts with educated choices/ingredients. I encourage you to talk to your vet next visit and just sort of get a feel for the pros and cons and then think does it fit your lifestyle that you could/would want to commit to raw.

We do feed Wellness, but we have a girl on prescriptive food so we had to find a logical balance in a multi-cat home that works for us. @nikialexander
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I know food is a hot topic and there aren’t any judgements made either way. I was even reluctant to post a question about it to be honest.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m not sure if you have much of a choice on food if it’s in your contract. But what a weird thing to contract?? I feel like that’s a little controlling, because what if the cat gets sick and refuses? That happened with my last. She was raw for a few years but had some health issues and I ended up having to feed her canned for the last 2 years of her life.

We just do the best we can. Feed the best food you can and that your kitty is willing to eat. We even have some kitties in this group who refuse anything but kibble. Now, I am generally very anti-kibble for many reasons, but what do you do? The kitties have to eat! If that’s what they like and you can’t get anything better down them, you don’t really have a choice.

LOL @Catzzzmepw I feed my cats SO much better than myself. It so true.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I know food is a hot topic and there aren’t any judgements made either way. I was even reluctant to post a question about it to be honest.

We can get heated in our discussion, but I think the only thing I’ve seen get people truly angry (including me) is someone asking about declawing and then ignoring our initially very PC advice. We assume not everyone knows how awful it is, so we start out nice, but when we get arguments it pisses us off because it is literally animal cruelty. Once you know better, you should do better.

Other than that I’m pretty sure anything Sphynx-related is fair game. Ask away

nikialexander

Lairian
I’m not sure if you have much of a choice on food if it’s in your contract. But what a weird thing to contract?? I feel like that’s a little controlling, because what if the cat gets sick and refuses? That happened with my last. She was raw for a few years but had some health issues and I ended up having to feed her canned for the last 2 years of her life.

We just do the best we can. Feed the best food you can and that your kitty is willing to eat. We even have some kitties in this group who refuse anything but kibble. Now, I am generally very anti-kibble for many reasons, but what do you do? The kitties have to eat! If that’s what they like and you can’t get anything better down them, you don’t really have a choice.

LOL @Catzzzmepw I feed my cats SO much better than myself. It so true.

I agree, they gotta eat. I appreciate everyone’s insight and point of view as I wasn’t necessarily looking for my choice to validated but just asking as a community what the thoughts were as I know what the veterinary fields thoughts were. At the end of the day, we are all looking to do what’s best for our nakids and that’s what matters!

Back