Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does my cat hate all other cats?

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
A bit of a long story but any help will be appreciated.

I saw a call out in my local area for Sphynx foster carers and I signed up—I have a lot of experience foster caring dogs and a little experience fostering cats.

I currently have a 1.5 y o girl Sphynx, Misty, who I adopted 10months ago. At the time, I was a cat foster carer. About 2 months after she had settled in I was asked to foster care for a 14wk old DSH kitten, so we took him in. I followed the common advice of keeping him in a separate room and doing slow introduction to Misty. Now. She HATED him. I didn’t think I would ever see her hiss, but the DSH brought it out! Hissing and growling. When they did eventually meet in the same room, she was obsessed with stealing his food. Supervised, it regularly escalated to them stalking each other and her pinning him down and sitting on him — at which point I would separate them. He was terrified but also stalked her. The foster organisation found another place for him to stay as he was miserable with Misty bullying him and sad to be confined to one room.

So my questions are. Does anyone have experience foster caring Sphynxes with other resident Sphynx? Because my Sphynx didn’t respond well to one cat, will her response be the same to others coming into her turf? Or was it perhaps that she was still unsettled from being rescued herself? I’d love to be able to foster care but don’t want to make things awful for my own cat or for the poor rescues.

thank you!

the bully in question:
A425167F-51BA-4FE9-9AF1-272400CEF85D.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Misty Lee 123 , bless your heart for fostering. Unfortunately inmho some cats just prefer to be singleton's in a household. I personally would worry the stress could bring on a stress uti some kitties get. my bengal girl adoptee prefers dogs to cats.

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
@Misty Lee 123 , bless your heart for fostering. Unfortunately inmho some cats just prefer to be singleton's in a household. I personally would worry the stress could bring on a stress uti some kitties get. my bengal girl adoptee prefers dogs to cats.

I know she used to live with a dog before we adopted her and they got on well. Maybe she is just a dog person.

@pussiette I think a trial is a good idea. Then we’ll know for sure.

Natalie Murphy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aah bless you I just had the same experience with my little man He is so lovable Everyone loves him. We go for walks on a leash visit friends at their homes So I was worried he was lonely. I landed up finding a little sweet angel of a dog to foster for a night and hells bells was his primal instincts on high alert. Stalking and pouncing. This poor thing was half his size and still a pup and trembling Both refused to be locked up too. They were trying to dominate me and my lap at the same time. One for safety the other for ownership. I hadn’t the heart to put either one through this for more than an hour as it was getting worse. I was more worried about the sweet natured dog

My friends lady Sphynx hisses like a banshee at any living thing that walks into her house. But has a dog and cat sister she loves. Granted it took over a 2 months for her to stop hissing and settle down with them too