Does my kitty know?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fountainrunner, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Fountainrunner

FountainrunnerLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $455.55
    Ratings:
    +16
    My kitty and I woke up the other morning and he started crying for no reason. I went to check on his food, water and litter -- everything was fine. I went off and suddenly he was quiet so I decided to check again. That's when I caught my kitty peeing next to his water bowl. I don't understand why all of a sudden he was misbehaving like this. I quickly put him into his litterbox but he just looked at me like I was the crazy one and jumped out. Sorry, but I don't understand him wanting to pee where he did when nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

The only thing is I'm planning to leave him home alone, for the first time, next week for a day and a half -- due to a family funeral. Do you think he knows I'm leaving? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this. Is that even possible??? Also, should I limit him to only one room? I was planning on leaving the whole house open but after this incident I'm afraid I'll come home to pee and poo all over the place. Advice please.

2. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,138.92
    Ratings:
    +12,611
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Is he intact? Sounds like he might be spraying/marking --either that or he doesn't like something about the litterbox--different litter? need cleaning? different depth? changed position? Does he have a UTI? Check with vet to rule out any medical reasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • lemmysmommy

lemmysmommySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $350.00
      Ratings:
      +432
      Good job Susi...you covered all my questions!! LOL

• ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43.00
      Ratings:
      +2,877
      You covered it Susi!! Check all these things out Fountainrunner and that should show some answers!:ThumbsUp: Goodluck!

• Fountainrunner

FountainrunnerLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $455.55
      Ratings:
      +16
      No, like I said nothing was out of the ordinary. I don't know why he did it. Does anyone have any advice now that I have to leave him home alone?

• havingalook

havingalookV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $430.00
      Ratings:
      +764
      I wouldn't leave the whole house open, just incase he gets into trouble. Is there one room that he can go into thats kittyproof? Nothing he can burn himself/ hurt himself on? If there is, I would move his litterbox and food etc into there now, so he gets used to it.

Make sure there are no blind cords etc, he can strangle himself with. Nothing he can accidently switch on etc. Clean his litterbox before you leave (has he got a secondary one, if he's fussy.) You can buy timer food dishes or just give him a big food/ water dish to last.

It's only for one day so he will be fine. He'll miss you lots, but he'll be okay.

Sorry for your loss.

• admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $287,967.52
      Ratings:
      +18,081
      • Pig
      • Venus Fly trap
      • Black Sphynx
      • Skull head
      I agree with Susi!:ThumbsUp: rule out UTI. (urinary infection)

• for_serious

for_seriousLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $358.00
      Ratings:
      +27
      sounds like a UTI to me...

• silly4lilly

silly4lillyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $490.61
      Ratings:
      +73
      is the litter box clean? my male will not go in the litterbox if it smells. i have the catgenie so unfortunately sometimes i can only run it about two or three times a day. he will pee and poop in the bathtub sometimes if i didnt run it

• Fountainrunner

FountainrunnerLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $455.55
      Ratings:
      +16
      Thanks, I needed that. Wish I could bring him with me. :Cry:

• havingalook

Sphynx Bucks:
      $430.00
      Ratings:
      +764
      If its not an option, he will be fine. It's only one day, so not too bad. Think of all the love he'll give you when you come home. :ThumbsUp:

• Fountainrunner

FountainrunnerLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $455.55
      Ratings:
      +16
      I came back after being away for two days, from the funeral, and everything was great with my kitty. I'd imagined I'd come back to chaos but he was perfectly fine at home alone. He used both his litters and had plenty of food and water left. He was so happy to see me he spent the entire evening meowing at me. He was probably asking, "Where were you?" Then I put away the extra litter box and closed the door on his main litter box. And he went right back to peeing elsewhere! :Surprise: :Cry: I'd only left his main litter box open while I was gone because I didn't want to risk the chance of him locking himself in, or something else happening, while I was away. But it seems he doesn't know where his litter box is anymore if I close the door. I'm retraining him about the pet door, how to open it and what's inside (like I did when I first brought him home). Only then will he go through the pet door to enter the litter box. I don't understand why he's suddenly confused. If he keeps this up I'll have to leave the door open all the time and I don't want that.

• havingalook

Sphynx Bucks:
      $430.00
      Ratings:
      +764

Rule of thumb. One litter box for each cat and one extra, so let him have his two, it seemed to be working.

If the vets have ruled out water infections etc, then he's just happier with having two boxes, so may dislike using one box after he's dirtied it. Is there an actual door on his pet door? maybe he doesn't like walking through it. If you took the door off and left the hole he'd probably be fine, have you tried that?

Glad you got home safely.:Smile:

• ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43.00
      Ratings:
      +2,877
      I had bought Snuffie a litter box with lid and door as well. She wasn't having it. So I took the top off of it and leave it open. I scoop it twice a day and that keeps any odor down. I sometimes will find a dingleberry outside but I think that might be where she gets one caught on her foot or maybe she might play with it! LMAO Goodluck with your kitty and retraining the litter box!

• Fountainrunner

FountainrunnerLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $455.55
      Ratings:
      +16
      Not going to cry...

Unfortunately another member of my immediate family has died. I have to leave town tomorrow. I'll be taking my kitty with me on the road and not leaving him home alone like I did for last week's funeral. I'll be gone for longer than two days and my mother asked for him last time but the hotel wouldn't let me bring the kitty. I think she was disappointed she didn't have him to comfort her during this difficult time. This will be our third family member to bury for the month so she needs all the help she can get. Maybe kitty can help her sleep -- she likes taking him to bed. It'll be hard going back home since the last two died there. I'm just trying to be strong and refuse to allow myself to cry. :Cry:

• havingalook

Sphynx Bucks:
      $430.00
      Ratings:
      +764
      Re: Not going to cry...

Sorry for your loss.
      Don't feel you're not allowed to cry. Sometimes it makes you feel better, instead of keeping it all inside. I have had several family members die over the last 12months, so I kind of know what you are going through. If you want to cry or rant or just quietly remember, none of those emotions are wrong.

I'm glad you can take him this time. There are some motels etc that allow pets, so don't worry about that.
      hugs to you.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    • ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43.00
      Ratings:
      +2,877
      Re: Not going to cry...

So sorry for your lose. I'm glad your able to take him this time. I hope he brings smiles to everyone to lighten the mood.

• gizmo6370

gizmo6370Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $8.00
      Ratings:
      +2,470
      Sorry for your loss :Cry:

• TanyaT

TanyaTV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $318.00
      Ratings:
      +626
      Sorry for your loss!!

• AthenaAura

AthenaAuraLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $332.00
      Ratings:
      +10
      (emotional)
      wow. you have really been through a lot this month. i think its entirely possible he is feeling your stress. and just like we don't know what do with it, he doesn't either. i would go back to the two boxes. he might like to pee in one and poop in the other.

(physical)
      we buy the 3 dollar boxes from target and walmart. fairly shallow but, clean as needed-daily scooping, daily wiping, weekly washing. once they don't seem to come out fresh, toss away and purchase another 3 dollar pan. we also work two systems for our 4 cats. two breeze litter systems on the main floor and 3 regular (the 3 dollar pans) up stairs. and should someone decided that one of the 4 doesn't suit their fancy, they get a two week re litter training.