Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does your cat know its' name?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How long did it take for your sphynx or other cat to know it's name when you call it?

I can't remember exactly when we noticed that Butchie responded to his name, but I would estimate it was after approx 5-6 weeks. It feels odd with Vincent not knowing his name yet, as you get used to that name calling-reaction-connection, if that makes sense?! It's only been 2 weeks on Sunday since we brought him home so I expect it might be another month at least before he knows it! I'll update on here when that lovely moment happens, and would love to hear how long it took other lairians and if there are some tricks that can help! :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Ours took to their names fast...especially Azura. We stayed in a hotel with her the night we picked her up. I swear it felt like the next day she was coming when we called her lol.

Glad Vincent is settling in. Do you call him Vinnie sometimes?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I think it took quit a while before my boys knew their names. Maybe like 2 months or so. Jade come to me as April. It was already her name for 2 years but she didn't listen to it. Then I was thinking about new names and said out loud "Jade". She came running at once so that became her new name

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'd chosen the name Max while he was still with the breeder so I think she was already referring to him by that name as he immediately knew it.
Min took a week, I think, but honestly, she comes when you say anything with this enthusiastic tone. She responds to tones more than a name. Does anyone else suspect their naked is like that?

Back