Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does your sphynx kitten have a favourite human or loves everyone and anyone

Rachlp

Lairian
I know I seem to be posting a lot, there are just so many questions about this breed I’m learning about having little Donald everyday.

So I wanted to know if your sphynx has a favourite human and only listens to this person, sits with, plays with, purrs, follows, plays with etc etc.

My family says that Donald thinks he owns me lol. When he hasn’t seen me for a bit, I’m the only one he purrs fit, even if I’m just walking past lol, I’m the one who sleeps on, be nestled in my neck with face, feet and legs on my face and comes to bed with me every night, I do all training, cleaning, dressing so all the stuff he dislikes too lol.

However the last two days he seems to use me as his personal toy, so he has started hanging off me, if I’m sitting he will wiggle his butt, jump up on the couch wrap his front legs around me and pretends to bite and even wrap his legs on my head and do the same, it is pretty light and empty but I’m interested to know is this Donald claiming me as his own.

He will sit with my children in the morning when they wake up earlier then me (I sometimes work late and have been really sick with anaemia so require horrible daily painful injections that keep me up lots of nights) but as soon as he sees me he purrs and wakes up so I’m curious to see if your sphynx babies go to everyone or are hooked on you as their human.

Look forward to hearing all of your amazing stories as usual

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
I love these questions. I have wondered this myself. My partner and I live together with our 1.5 year old Sphynx who we rescued when she was 9 months. She is completely obsessed with us both in different ways. My partner is her preferred person to play rough with, whereas she usually sleeps on me and wants to be in my lap all day. However, sometimes she suddenly switches these roles abruptly for a week or so, and then back again!

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Raphael prefers me in the morning. In the afternoon she is all over my husband and in the evening she prefers me again. My husband is quite allergic to her so he discourages her when he can. She is pretty persistent so he tolerates her. I think if she had her choice she would prefer him so she settles for me!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Rachlp so happy to see you actively posting. I never get tired of members so excited about this amazing breed…seeing you post is a nice fresh for other newbies to feel more comfortable to interact.
Our vet shared that often there are cats that are “cat” cats and others are “people” cats…meaning their preference to be around cats or humans more. Our 4 are people cats….they love our attention over just the other cats…but our boys are very bonded to one another in a way that warms my heart that they seek one another out as much as they do hubby and I. Our crew seems to love hubby and I equally, but one of our boys is a bit more of a mommy’s boy…I talk to them all a lot more than hubby does need I feed them more, so that probably has a lot to,do with it lol.

Rachlp

Lairian
Isn’t it interesting, I have been watching this a little more and I think Donald tends to go to my son in the mornings because he can just snooze on his lap without any interruptions, whereas when mummy comes along, she wants to see if he needs a jumper on, clean eyes, clean eyes, do training, try harness train - you know always something so I’m trying to make sure he know I’m there for the love too and not just the nasty maintenance mummy ha ha.

My favourite time is when he sees me after not seeing me for a while whoever he is with he will just start purring and he knows bedtime is time to cuddle with mummy.

i can’t have another one in the RV but as soon as we finish travelling I must have a tabby sphynx to join our family as when we do have to go out without him, obviously I can’t take him into a restaurant etc I don’t like leaving him lol.

@Catzzzmeow thank you for making me feel so welcome, my husband doesn’t tend to worry and fuss over Donald the way I do so it’s great to have such experienced helpful friendly people who are always willing to help, so grateful to have finally found this site

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to see you fussing love hearing your updates you are a great mum just be mindful that cats can escape vehicles easily and also die in locked vehicles. Also can be stolen if left alone how long are you travelling for?

Rachlp

Lairian
@pussiette We are very conscious about Donald when travelling so will not leave the RV parked anywhere there could possibly be a break in, like try to avoid parking in car parks etc, only supervised RV parks, also we have constant power and if not we leave the generator running, we are lucky that we have a 41 foot RV so plenty of room for Donald to run and sunbake in window ledges, but yes he does come sight seeing and grocery shopping and is very chill. We aren’t sure how long to travel yet. I haven’t spoken to my husband about adding another kitten to the family yet but was wondering whether to wait until back in AUS but I struggled to find a breeder or to purchase another one from here in the US or from the same breeder in Russia who we purchased Donald from

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@pussiette We are very conscious about Donald when travelling so will not leave the RV parked anywhere there could possibly be a break in, like try to avoid parking in car parks etc, only supervised RV parks, also we have constant power and if not we leave the generator running, we are lucky that we have a 41 foot RV so plenty of room for Donald to run and sunbake in window ledges, but yes he does come sight seeing and grocery shopping and is very chill. We aren’t sure how long to travel yet. I haven’t spoken to my husband about adding another kitten to the family yet but was wondering whether to wait until back in AUS but I struggled to find a breeder or to purchase another one from here in the US or from the same breeder in Russia who we purchased Donald from
My understanding was that it can be up to 12 months in customs at the border in Australia after quarantine to get a pet into the Country, can you advise on that? I agree there are so many options in America and most seem to be getting the DNA HCM test done.

Rachlp

Lairian
My understanding was that it can be up to 12 months in customs at the border in Australia after quarantine to get a pet into the Country, can you advise on that? I agree there are so many options in America and most seem to be getting the DNA HCM test done.
Hi @pussiette

You are right in that it use to be quite an ideal to import a cat, many years ago I knew a breeder that had a Persian in quarantine for nearly 6 months and a friend who imported from Norway and had 3 months, nowadays it is a lot more simplified, the quarantine depends on the countries rabies condition. USA is considered category 3, which is the highest level, so strict rabies certification must be shown such as vaccination titre tests etc, as well as import permit, vet inspection prior to flying, be a safe breed to fly and all cats arriving in Australia must go through the Melbourne airport and do 10 days quarantine (will be released then if healthy, if show any signs of sickness, quarantined longer) and then can fly on domestically to other states, if you import from New Zealand to AUS there is no quarantine and a couple of breeds are completely banned such as Savannah.

I was pretty lucky that we had an intermediate person who did all of the import paperwork for Donald to arrive from Russia

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
Isn’t it interesting, I have been watching this a little more and I think Donald tends to go to my son in the mornings because he can just snooze on his lap without any interruptions, whereas when mummy comes along, she wants to see if he needs a jumper on, clean eyes, clean eyes, do training, try harness train - you know always something so I’m trying to make sure he know I’m there for the love too and not just the nasty maintenance mummy ha ha.

My favourite time is when he sees me after not seeing me for a while whoever he is with he will just start purring and he knows bedtime is time to cuddle with mummy.

i can’t have another one in the RV but as soon as we finish travelling I must have a tabby sphynx to join our family as when we do have to go out without him, obviously I can’t take him into a restaurant etc I don’t like leaving him lol.

@Catzzzmeow thank you for making me feel so welcome, my husband doesn’t tend to worry and fuss over Donald the way I do so it’s great to have such experienced helpful friendly people who are always willing to help, so grateful to have finally found this site
I would love to see a thread with pics of Donald in different places along the trip!