Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does your sphynx lick clothes?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm an over worried new mommy already - I knew this would happen!

Sophie has been licking any sock/sweater/shirt I put on her. I made her a sock-sweater out of a fuzzy sock and she's licking it till some strings start to hang off it. I trimmed the strings today but I don't know how much is coming off into her mouth. She'll be half cleaning her skin half the sweater or just lick the sweater. Of course when I take it off her she stops the cleaning...and there's been a lot of cleanig.. I dont know....:Dizzy:

Last edited:

Brooke

Banned

Sophie has been licking any sock/sweater/shirt I put on her. I made her a sock-sweater out of a fuzzy sock and she's licking it till some strings start to hang off it. I trimmed the strings today but I don't know how much is coming off into her mouth. She'll be half cleaning her skin half the sweater or just lick the sweater. Of course when I take it off her she stops the cleaning...and there's been a lot of cleanig.. I dont know....:Dizzy:

My girl, Helen, is an obsessive licker. It's still 90 degrees here in Florida, so she's not wearing sweaters yet, but she licks all of her blankets constantly. She'll lick them for half an hour non-stop and, like you, I'm always concerned that she might ingest some threads from the blanket so if I ever see anything coming off of it I make her stop and take it away from her. Now I just make sure her blankets are made of a fabric that can withstand her abusive tongue!

myspecialboy

Lairian
Chadwick will lick anything that comes near his mouth. He likes to lick my fleece throws and my fuzzy throw. He has even coughed up his own version of a hairball from the fleece that came off when he would lick it. It worries me, too, to be honest.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Brooke- the Northeast is cold already! It's 48 here tonight and last night got down to 38! I have a long sleeve light t-shirt and light hoodie and my nose is cold to the touch. Sophie's got her sock-sweater and is bundled in a blanket on my lap all warm and snuggly. I think I may have a licker on my hands too because if she's not playing or sleeping she's probably licking so that may be the case. The more I learn about Helen - she sounds like such an interesting girl! :BigSmile:

myspecial boy- that's what I was thinking of too- hairballs- or in our case "fuzzballs" of things they've licked!

Brooke

Banned
Brooke- the Northeast is cold already! It's 48 here tonight and last night got down to 38! I have a long sleeve light t-shirt and light hoodie and my nose is cold to the touch. Sophie's got her sock-sweater and is bundled in a blanket on my lap all warm and snuggly. I think I may have a licker on my hands too because if she's not playing or sleeping she's probably licking so that may be the case. The more I learn about Helen - she sounds like such an interesting girl! :BigSmile:

I swear, I was born/live in the wrong part of the country - I hate the heat...we are lucky if we get 4 or 5 days out of the entire year that drop down into the 30's and I've only seen snow a handful of times in my life...someday I'll move away from here! The cats don't mind it, though, I'm sure!

Helen is quite an interesting lady. I haven't had her very long (almost 6 months) and I keep finding out more about her. I recently learned that before I got her she was part of a traveling circus side show! No lie! I wish she could talk - oh, the stories she could probably tell me about the last 8 years of her life...

It's so interesting to me how different all four of my guys are. They all have the wonderful, super-friendly and funny, outgoing, silly, curious sphynx personalities that we all know and love but they are all so distinctly unique and different from one another, too. :Smile:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is unreal! My first thought was the bearded lady and the hairless cat - :LOL::LOL: . I'm sure she's had a lot of interesting experiences but every story you've told I just think she's such a lady! Keeping clean, not minding baths, exercising (probably to keep herself trim :Wink:)

Snow is ok but only at Christmas! :ThumbsUp: Don't move too far east because the summers go too fast and the winters last too long. There's only so many weekends and the summer weekends rain and the nice days are during the week while we're at work. My central a/c broke this summer and since it was toward the end of July I didnt bother fixing it. I had probably 3 miserable too hot nights and that was it. My brother is at college in VA and his climate seems about right. It's always at least 10 degrees warmer whenever I ask! :BigSmile:

myspecialboy

Lairian
I swear, I was born/live in the wrong part of the country - I hate the heat...we are lucky if we get 4 or 5 days out of the entire year that drop down into the 30's and I've only seen snow a handful of times in my life...someday I'll move away from here! The cats don't mind it, though, I'm sure!

Lets trade homes for the winter! Here in Indiana, we get plenty of snow!

Brooke

Banned
My central a/c broke this summer and since it was toward the end of July I didnt bother fixing it. :

That's hilarious - my central heat broke 3 years ago and I haven't bothered to fix it. I needed it for about 3 days last winter, but I just bought a space heater instead!! However, I would sell a kidney if I needed it to fix my A/C.

Lets trade homes for the winter! Here in Indiana, we get plenty of snow!

It's a deal!!

Luna is forever licking something. Her outfits, my feet, shoes, cushions even the window. I'm not sure WHY she is inclined to slobber all over everything but she does. I have woke up to her giving me a bath! I have yet to see bare spots in my cushions but would not be surprised to see one. It seems from the forum posting that this is not an isolated trait.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
As far as the licking goes we don't have that problem much, if I have on A soft sweater Leo will lick and kneed, then bite and try some funny stuff on me:Angry:

As for the weather it is getting cold here, I don't mind it to much but come January when it gets the coldest I am done with it and wishing for summer!!!

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
None of my sphynx lick their clothes or mine clothes but they like to chew on my diamond ring, not exactly sure why but they all do it even the furry cats do it lol :Laugh:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
None of my sphynx lick their clothes or mine clothes but they like to chew on my diamond ring, not exactly sure why but they all do it even the furry cats do it lol :Laugh:

Mine has done that also and my dog does it to!!! I always imagine myself digging thru poop trying to find it:Badly2:

sheryl

Lairian
Brooke - How do your Sphynx handle the central air? I'm an air conditioning freak in the summer, but now I have Sammie & Lilly, so I'm a bit worried.
Sheryl

Brooke

Banned
Brooke - How do your Sphynx handle the central air? I'm an air conditioning freak in the summer, but now I have Sammie & Lilly, so I'm a bit worried.
Sheryl

Hi Sheryl, they don't seem to mind it at all! I do have blankies all over the place for them to curl up under if they get chilly. As a matter of fact, when I adopted Helen, she had been staying outside in the heat, and I think she much prefers the air conditioning and a cozy blanket to that!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I absolutely hate cold period! Actually I hate outside... When you work outside in the summer you just want to be in the a/c & in the winter inside in the heat. When your outside all day everyday you just wAnt to stay inside, my friends that hAve "indoor" jobs don't get it.

Brooke

Banned
I absolutely hate cold period! Actually I hate outside... When you work outside in the summer you just want to be in the a/c & in the winter inside in the heat. When your outside all day everyday you just wAnt to stay inside, my friends that hAve "indoor" jobs don't get it.

Actually, I have an indoor job, and I get it!! :LOL: I hate outside, too...unless its between 65 and 75 degrees with a slight breeze and no humidity which here in FL happens, oh, ...never!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Gulliver likes to lick and suckle the blankets... And for some reason anytime my husband or I are wearing jeans, he thinks we are a scratch post, or a tree :BigSmile:

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
Haji is only a licker of himself,but your concern about your kitty ingesting strings/fabric reminded me of something Haji does....

He has this weird habit of wanting to chew/swallow strings. Last year at Christmas I had some gift wrap and ribbon lying around and I caught him eating it at hat to pull it out of his mouth.

Then, a few weeks later to my shock I found a 4 inch long piece of tassle from my fleece scarf in the litter box. No problems since then, but I make sure to keep that stuff out of his access. There's plenty of other hazards around the house like it, but I think he's lost interest....

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My guys are luckly only lickers of us and each other....As far as the Ac I keep it on 72 to 74 with blankets around the house and mine love it.....:BigSmile:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL Thats funny! Mo doesn't lick the carpet, well ive never seen him do it. He does lick sweaters when i put them on him though, as if it is part of him!

myspecialboy

Lairian

Chadwick will lick any fabric that's near him. He also licks walls, baseboards, chairs, and carpet...

Back