Dog chew recommendations?

Discussion in 'Non Sphynx Pet Questions' started by TheZu, Jan 2, 2018.

1. TheZu

TheZuLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,264.78
    Ratings:
    +286
    • Orange Sphynx
    • Lady bug
    So, for the past week and for the next week, I'm living at my in-laws to pet sit. They have two golden doodles, one is an old girl who sleeps all day and the other is a new puppy, (though fully grown now!) She's almost a year old. I actually see them a lot because I work for the family business and the office is on the property (not in the house, but I do use the bathroom in the house).

My worries though, is with the puppy. She really is sweet, big, but sweet. They don't really have time for her though, and she's bored all day. I can tell! She's chewed up half the Christmas tree, the whole side of the couch, every pet bed she's ever gotten, every blanket. She hasn't been completely house broken yet, and keeps peeing in two spots. Their solution was to crate off the tree and areas that she pees. She still managed to break in a few times, and they finally just got up a set that works. But this dog is BORED. Especially because she always carries what few toys she does have outside, and leaves them there. And I swear I'm one of the only ones to go pick them up and bring them back in the house for her so she has something to play with! They let her have the empty cat food cans, and it scares the wits out of me because she will literally chew them to shreds, I'm talking coming into work in the morning, checking in on the dog and finding metal shrapnel pieces ALL over the floor! It's a wonder she hasn't torn up her gums, and what if she swallows, even accidentally? I brought this up to my in-laws, but the response is "Oh, no worries, she doesn't swallow, only chew, she's so gentle!"

When the hubby and I knew we would be there to house sit, we came up with a puppy plan. We went and purchased a bunch of Christmas toys on sale, I picked up a deer antler chew (as I've heard they're great for dogs) and NO CATFOOD CANS. Thing is, she's now all but destroyed every toy and I've had to take them away. The only good one is the deer antler...she didn't want it at first but now she likes it and it occupies her. But I only got a small one. And the thing is, I made sure to buy her some toys she can't destroy...you know, Kong's and the like. But she won't touch them. It's like she literally only wants toys she can really rip apart and destroy. I can't keep buying new cannon fodder toys, and I worry that she'd harm herself anyway if she starts accidentally eating rubber tennis ball bits, string and stuffing. My in-laws got her one of those big cooked bones...you know the ones as big as your arm? But she doesn't chew it like the antler. I think she's worn it down all she could and it's just too thick for her otherwise. Or maybe it just keeps getting left outside. I think it's actually moldy :/

Does anyone have any other toys suggestions to help occupy her? I hear raw hide toys are TERRIBLE for dogs and I don't want any of those. Maybe just more antlers for her? They're expensive but for the dogs health and how much I've been saving on cat products it might be worth it.

• Hugs Hugs x 2

• Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $199,148.72
      Ratings:
      +17,534
      Happy to hear you're trying to find good toys for the dog to keep him busy. I tag @Yoda mom cause I know dhe has some big dogs and maybe has a good tip.

When I still had a dog I used to play together with him. I did hide kibbles in the house and let him search. He loved it and it made him feel tired. I also had a rope so we could see who's the strongest:). A big bone where he can chew on can also help.

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $91,753.05
      Ratings:
      +10,178
      • Red Sphynx
      • Pink Sphynx
      • Black Sphynx
      @TheZu , hugs .. I can definitely relate to puppyness!
      I kept the Australaian Shepard pup my ex fiancé didn't want bcz he was too much dog -
      So here I a, bsck in my house with no fenced yard with the che monster as I call him-
      He is the sweetest .. Now 19 mos old .. And full of himself ..
      Amd loves to seek out cat toys , anything he can get ahold of must be for him in his mind -

I can leave him free roaming now ( putting up small cat toys of course )

Some of the things I found that work :
      Exercise - We have a routine ( his butt is on a clock I swear ) to go for several walks a day.
      We also have an incredible doggie day care where he can go go go .
      We also did a ton of socializing at an awesome dog training center - pup classes , obedience , nose work , barn hunt , rally , dog agility etc .classes are available to choose - hard I know to find class times on a work schedule .. I researched several places amd a found the obedience club that runs classes all times amd days.
      I am not a fan of dog parks - too much to go wrong -
      Amd we had canine flue going around rampant here in Florida

I wear him out mentally and physically . Dedicated play amd walk time .
      We walk really fast ( I can't jog ore bcz of 3 bsck surgeries) several times a day .

I take him for rides to the stores , plant nurseries , inside banks ( ask permission first ) ..every chance I can .
      Even if it's for a ten minute ride to run an errand - I never leave him in the jeep. It's like having a baby with me .

Crate training - I am a huge fan - I do put folded towels and those excercise squares Below the crate tray bcz if you lean in yourself you can feel the metal bars under the tray ( I make sure no tele or rubber mating exposed to chew .

i have gome theu I swear every chew toy to try - he can destroy them more than any rottie I have owned over 35 years worth.

I buy antlers at Michigan Antler Art - Antler Dog Chews
      I call him and he will customize the chews based on the dog
      I do have a cordless Dremel to grind down any sharp edges -
      I buy the kennel chunk antlers thst have been the safest for him so far -
      The antlers come in varies hardness amd sizes .
      The split antlers were a flop bcz he Che's harder than a rottie and not safe to leave unsupervised

Ome of the best best chew toys I buy exclusively now for two rotties amd my Aussie are
      "Busy buddy Jack - large size -
      I do not use the compressed rawhide it comes with -
      These jacks are their fav lthst will hold between paws and know away - no bloody gums amd they last forever !
      Going on two years with daily chewing.
      I have not experienced any splintering with the large busy buddy Jack

They have the ball bone shaped busy buddy Jack - they play woth too
      But is the fav by all 3 for laying down and chewing quietly is the busy buddy Jack

I buy the black extreme xl kongs
      amd smear in a little creamy peanut butter ( be sure to check for no xylitol! Ingredient ) amd put in frozen green beans - I keep the kongs in the freezer amd give them when I leave the house
      ( I do have to watch the Aussie though for trying to chew on the Kong - so only supervised for him)

The large busy buddy Jack is more chewed on constantly than the antlers now and asked on the pocket book

I do a bunch of short obedience training sessions - sit , stay down etc throughout the day
      Amd train " nothing is for free"
      If he wants the Jack toy or when we play fetch etc, feed food etc
      They have to do something for it -
      I do this thought their lives

Definitely have a solid "out" let go commend
      I incorporate in play and daily life

I sit on the floor and play "out " amd "take" toys tugs etc
      All is mental stimulation plus too

They love structure amd want to please
      amd this includes their chew toys for me -

Hands down the black extreme Kong frozen with treats
      And the busy buddy large Jack (not using the rawhide )
      Are my best here

You may be able to find a local supplier of antlers like Michigan Amtler Art I order from
      Customized for the pup amd at much better prices than stores
      Some of the same folks sell antlers on line or their eBay store

pM me anytime! I have gome theu so mich home my on experimenting with chews - I get it -
      Amd kudos for not giving cat food cans -
      Lol I will let them lick out the can of cat food when I feed kitties .
      I hold the can amd make sure no sharp edges edges first

Make pup work for chews treats amd try to wear him out with mental stimulation and excercise
      I do keep the crate up with door open and often wills look for them in the house and they choose to go nap in their crate in thise own

I will send you some,blinks of the chews
      ((Hugs n head smooches!))

Please let me know if you find somee good chews I can try with my chew monster too
      He is a handful lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Yoda mom

Sphynx Bucks:
        $91,753.05
        Ratings:
        +10,178
        • Red Sphynx
        • Pink Sphynx
        • Black Sphynx
        @TheZu , forgot to add the Nylabone large wishbone!
        Amd for fetch the Kong safe Stick

Here is a pic of Young Gunnar right now with his fav things!

This busy buddy Jack he has here is over a year old amd still going!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
        • Like Like x 1
        • Yoda mom

Sphynx Bucks:
          $91,753.05
          Ratings:
          +10,178
          • Red Sphynx
          • Pink Sphynx
          • Black Sphynx
          @TheZu

Busy buddy Jack large ( can't find in stores so I get online ) may be avail in your area

Busy Buddy Jack Dog Toy I do not use the rawhide rings it comes with!
          And make sure pup doesmt chew the green rubber ribbed piece of the Jack -
          It unscrews to remove it if necessary

They lov holding the Jack between paws and knawing it
          Must be the shape

Nylabone DuraChew Wishbone Original Flavor Dog Toy

KONG Extreme Dog Toy to fill (not too much lol ) amd freeze

For fetch :KONG Safestix Dog Toy, Color Varies Love thos for fetch and training "out" "take it "
          The medium is a good fetch size -
          The large is huge and good for two dogs tha play great together and carry it together

For fetch : The zogoflex bumi is a big hit for fetch to wear him out!
          He has one inside he throws up in the air lol
          Never chews it
          West Paw Zogoflex Bumi Dog Toy, Aqua Blue varies colors
          Best ever - he throws it in the air entertaining himself with it too daily lol

Of course always suggest supervision amd see what works best

++You are absolutely right about raw hides! Even the USA made rawhide ones I got them in the past once came off in chunks causing choking /obstruction hazard !
          No compressed rawhide other - they have bits of rawhide compressed inside an outer one piece

Do you have a pic of pup to shared:) name?
          Sorry for typos - still dealing with torn finger ligament

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
          • Like Like x 1
          • TheZu

TheZuLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $1,264.78
            Ratings:
            +286
            • Orange Sphynx
            • Lady bug
            I thought about posting a pic, but she's not my dog so I don't feel that's really fair of me. I also don't want to ask permission because that would be an awkward conversation- "Hey, I noticed the dog needs a bit more attention and I wanted to ask some people with big dogs for help cause we're dropping the ball, mind if I post her picture online?"

She's very tall, a non-curly red golden doodle. Really a gorgeous dog!

Thanks for the help and suggestions! For now, longer walks and attention will be easier while I'm house sitting, so that I can do! When the family is back and I'm only here for a seven hour work day on week days, won't be so easy. I'll have to see about getting my teenage sister in law to pay more attention to the dog and take her on walks (she is the one who asked for her!). I've tried keeping her in the office with me sometimes instead of the house, but it's cramped in here as is and heater gets super hot. Not really condusive to a full grown puppy. I can tell what she really wants is to play but I can't entertain her and work at the same time!

I know they're taking her to obedience class when they're back from vacation. I don't know why they didn't crate train Luna. They did the older dog when she was younger, she really had a lot more attention because my husband was a fresh graduate at the point, still living at home and was around to take her with him. She'd be at play practice with him and he'd take her for long walks up by his school.

It's hard because I know they love her, they just don't have time for her. Most of them are gone at 7:00 in the morning and not back until 6:00. I've come and gone to work by then. They're used to their older dog who has calmed down and is much more relaxed. The bigger dog helps, but she doesn't play with Luna enough.

I can make a point of playing with her at lunch and before I go home! And hopefully some of these more entertaining toys I can give her to fill the in between times. I like the frozen treats idea in the Kong! They might actually get her to play with it and stimulate her. Luna is really smart, she knows how to break around puppy enclosures. I think she does it just for the thrill of it.

I want to help, but I also don't want to semi-adopt a dog I didn't ask for and wouldn't even own or take home with me. I do love dogs, and want one of my own, but right now I just don't have the time or resources to get both a dog and a Sphynx!

• Like Like x 1
            • TheZu

TheZuLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
              $1,264.78
              Ratings:
              +286
              • Orange Sphynx
              • Lady bug
              So, I tried the Kong with treats and unfortunately, it didn't go over very well at all :( She's actually afraid of it!!! I tried putting the treats in so she could see, tried to get on the floor to play with her, tried gently coaxing and adding it to the play routine with some of her other toys. It was a no go :( The older dog got right into it though. I was hoping Daisy, the older dog, might get her to try it, but still no interest. At least one of them enjoys it!

I'm very hesitant to try the flavoured nylon bones when I was looking at them, they say not safe for ingestion right on the package, and she can REALLY take things apart. We're leaving tomorrow, and I wouldn't want to give it to her when I can't supervise her. She does have a bigger bone now to chew on, so that's helping! She's gnawing away as I write. I've been investing more time playing with her after work and the afternoon.

I think the best plan is to have a serious talk with my teenage sister-in-law about taking her out more when she's home from school (she did ask for the puppy!). I can help a bit when I'm working, but I can't be here 24/7, and I have a job I'm expected too do. At lunch I can take her out into the yard for a good romp, and after work before catching the bus I can try and squeeze in a good walk. But I think my teen sister needs to take up a larger mantle of responsibility for the dog that she wanted. She has a lighter second semester (I think just two courses?) And she's quitting her after school job.

• Hugs Hugs x 2
              • Yoda mom

Sphynx Bucks:
                $91,753.05
                Ratings:
                +10,178
                • Red Sphynx
                • Pink Sphynx
                • Black Sphynx
                @TheZu , She can include some fun things like tricks! Lots of cool tricks to check out online for ideas!
                I taught my rottie to "bow" when meet n greets in public

Dog tricks are fun amd Great mental stimulation and bonding :)

((Hugs)))

Have a pawfect day!

• Like Like x 1
                • kauna

kaunaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $4,941.83
                  Ratings:
                  +335
                  • Orange Sphynx
                  @TheZu kudos to you for recognizing that she is bored and wanting to help her out.

I have a boerboel mastiff puppy (2yrs old) I have found the best thing for him is large antlers, not the ones that are cut in half. I order them online from www.elkusa.com They come in a variety of sizes and sold by weight. My boy also likes the nylabones we get the non flavored kind.

You can also try dog puzzles to get her mind working and thinking. Perhaps teaching her a few tricks like @Yoda mom suggested. My favorite is "touch" it can double as a recall of sorts as s/he has to touch your hand with their nose. I think once they start with the obedience class it will help some with the boredom as it will require the dog to think and will help them bond with this dog.

Let us know how everything goes!

• Like Like x 1