Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dog losing his best friend

KelseaLoren

Lairian
This is kind of a sad topic, but I need some advice. My dog Sam has a best friend who is very ill, the golden retriever next door, Coach. Coach is probably only going to make it a couple more weeks, and I know that Sam is going to be devastated. Coach is too sick to go on walks, but Sam will stop outside his house to wait for him and refuse to walk until he sees him. And Coach is too tired to play, but he tries for Sam, but he just can't anymore. They have played together almost everyday since Sam was a puppy, and Sam isn't going to take his death well. Is there any advice you could give to help me get Sam through this rough time. He has never had a friend die before :(

On a happier note, our sphynx baby is coming home around the same time, both my grandma and the vet think that Sam will adopt him to help deal with his grief

KelseaLoren

Lairian
@KelseaLoren Oh how sad. Only thing I can think of is will Coach's owner let you have Coach lay on a blanket and get Coach's scent on it? The scent will remain on it a long time until your Sam is distracted with the new kitten. Hopefully the kitten will be a welcomed distraction.

patti
I will ask her about it. I'm sure that would help him, I just want to make it as easy as possible for him

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@KelseaLoren Oh how sad. Only thing I can think of is will Coach's owner let you have Coach lay on a blanket and get Coach's scent on it? The scent will remain on it a long time until your Sam is distracted with the new kitten. Hopefully the kitten will be a welcomed distraction.

patti
Thats a great idea Patti, our 14 year old dog died in 2012 & our other 2 staffys took the news quite hard but adapted well after a couple of weeks, but kelsea grandmas are usually right & im sure your dog will be so busy with your new kitten he wont get a minutes peace ;), please let us know how things go, love & prayers sent for poor old coach :( xxxx

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@KelseaLoren This is a sad but awesome story of Coach and Sam. The bond between two animals can be amazing as is a bond between a human and a animal. The best advice I can give is let Sam see Coach as much as possible and as hard as it would be Sam may cope better if he actually got got to see Coach after he had passed. I know this sounds very harsh but it will give him closure and he won't think Coach just left him. My best friend of 36 years Mom passed away (yes, Christmas day of all days) and Reilly there dog had been in the back yard and as the ambulance drivers left they asked about Reilly and if he had got to seen Joyce (the best friends mom). She answered "no, we didn't want him to go in there" they were waiting for the coroner (on Christmas day not many of them work I guess). Anyway the paramedic said it would be a good idea for him to see her that way he would have closure. So Eileen let Reilly in to see her Mom. He smelled her than laid down next to her till the coroner arrived (about 30 min later). Reilly is a high strung dog and was going crazy all day until they let him to see her Mom and he settled down after that.

Another example I have is when my Mom was going to move to Georgia (she lived in California) she had a St. Bernard and as much as she wanted to take Pricilla with her to GA she knew the heat and travel would be too much on a 11yr old St. Bernard. So my Mom contacted the breeder she came from and she wanted to take Pricilla back. Heartbroken my Mom made the decision and my brother picked Pricilla up from my Moms when she wasn't home and drove her 4 hours back to the breeders. A few says later I guess Pricilla was driving the breeder crazy not sleeping or eating and walking in circles. The breeder asked my Mom to talk to Pricilla on the phone to let her know it was ok for her to be there. My Mom thought what a loon this women is but ok. So crying my Mom talked to Pricilla for about two minutes. The breeder put the phone back her ear and told my Mom "you will never believe it but Pricilla just went and laid down in front of her food bowl and is eating". Pricilla lived another year and a half with her brother at the breeders home.

Animals are amazing and I tear up every time I tell that story.

PS the new kitten will help Sam get over the loss of Coach as well.

KelseaLoren

Lairian
@KelseaLoren This is a sad but awesome story of Coach and Sam. The bond between two animals can be amazing as is a bond between a human and a animal. The best advice I can give is let Sam see Coach as much as possible and as hard as it would be Sam may cope better if he actually got got to see Coach after he had passed. I know this sounds very harsh but it will give him closure and he won't think Coach just left him. My best friend of 36 years Mom passed away (yes, Christmas day of all days) and Reilly there dog had been in the back yard and as the ambulance drivers left they asked about Reilly and if he had got to seen Joyce (the best friends mom). She answered "no, we didn't want him to go in there" they were waiting for the coroner (on Christmas day not many of them work I guess). Anyway the paramedic said it would be a good idea for him to see her that way he would have closure. So Eileen let Reilly in to see her Mom. He smelled her than laid down next to her till the coroner arrived (about 30 min later). Reilly is a high strung dog and was going crazy all day until they let him to see her Mom and he settled down after that.

Another example I have is when my Mom was going to move to Georgia (she lived in California) she had a St. Bernard and as much as she wanted to take Pricilla with her to GA she knew the heat and travel would be too much on a 11yr old St. Bernard. So my Mom contacted the breeder she came from and she wanted to take Pricilla back. Heartbroken my Mom made the decision and my brother picked Pricilla up from my Moms when she wasn't home and drove her 4 hours back to the breeders. A few says later I guess Pricilla was driving the breeder crazy not sleeping or eating and walking in circles. The breeder asked my Mom to talk to Pricilla on the phone to let her know it was ok for her to be there. My Mom thought what a loon this women is but ok. So crying my Mom talked to Pricilla for about two minutes. The breeder put the phone back her ear and told my Mom "you will never believe it but Pricilla just went and laid down in front of her food bowl and is eating". Pricilla lived another year and a half with her brother at the breeders home.

Animals are amazing and I tear up every time I tell that story.

PS the new kitten will help Sam get over the loss of Coach as well.
Animals are amazing. Coach's owner did ask if she could have Sam there with Coach if they have to put him to sleep because she thought it would help comfort Coach. My family didn't know what to say, because we thought that might be too hard on Sam, but I guess we never thought about how Sam might feel abandoned if he doesn't get to see that Coach has passed away. Thank you for your advice, I will talk with everyone and see if there is a way that they can be together at the end.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Animals are amazing. Coach's owner did ask if she could have Sam there with Coach if they have to put him to sleep because she thought it would help comfort Coach. My family didn't know what to say, because we thought that might be too hard on Sam, but I guess we never thought about how Sam might feel abandoned if he doesn't get to see that Coach has passed away. Thank you for your advice, I will talk with everyone and see if there is a way that they can be together at the end.

I think it will help both Coach and Sam more than us humans could ever imagine. Please keep me posted and let me know how both Sam and Coach are doing. I will be thinking of you guys!!

KelseaLoren

Lairian
Sad Sad News :( We just got a call and Coach passed away. He passed around 4 pm. The funny thing is that Sam was going crazy around 4, he was running around the house and barking and we couldn't figure out why, and nothing would calm him down. I guess his family has already taken him to be cremated. And I am pretty sure he went in his sleep, so he didn't suffer much and is now playing fetch up in the sky. Sam will be staying with Coach's for a couple of days, our neighbor asked if he could stay with her, because she said that he gives her support and the house is lonely without Coach, and I am sure being around Coaches smells will help Sam a bit too. I am so sad, and I don't even know what to say to comfort anyone, because losing a beloved pet is such a devastating loss.
Image 26.jpg
Sam and Coach begging for treats

Thanks everyone for your advice and please send good thoughts to Sam and to Coach's family

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Teary eyed here. Although this is a Sphynx community, it is a place filled with true animal lovers. I think it is great Sam will be staying at Coach's house for a bit...I hope it helps all in the healing process.

Patti

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sad Sad News :( We just got a call and Coach passed away. He passed around 4 pm. The funny thing is that Sam was going crazy around 4, he was running around the house and barking and we couldn't figure out why, and nothing would calm him down. I guess his family has already taken him to be cremated. And I am pretty sure he went in his sleep, so he didn't suffer much and is now playing fetch up in the sky. Sam will be staying with Coach's for a couple of days, our neighbor asked if he could stay with her, because she said that he gives her support and the house is lonely without Coach, and I am sure being around Coaches smells will help Sam a bit too. I am so sad, and I don't even know what to say to comfort anyone, because losing a beloved pet is such a devastating loss.
View attachment 46527 Sam and Coach begging for treats

Thanks everyone for your advice and please send good thoughts to Sam and to Coach's family

Aww I am so sad that Coach is gone but I am glad he didn't have to suffer. There is nothing you can say just be there for them and Sam. I think it's awesome that Sam can stay at there house I am sure it will help her a lot. Big hugs to you and Sam!!! xxxx Nicole

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sad. Our animals become a part of our family and it's like loosing a very important part when we loose them.
It hurts just the same. I sure hope this helps Sam and his family get through this sad time.
I think the new kit will help him a lot to.

KelseaLoren

Lairian
Thank you everyone. Sam is sticking close tonight, and I agree that the kitten will definitely distract him, if only because he is trying to fight off the ferocious curiosity of a sphynx kitten.

Back