Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Don Sphynx??

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question:Question:

Is in this lair anybody owned by a Don Sphynx or are all your Sphyxies Canadians?

Thanx for your replies

catmom

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is a great question, catmom.

I understand the genetics are different between the Canadian and Russian lines but I'm not sure I could tell the difference by looking at a picture.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sure that there's a member who has a Don Sphynx.

Is there anything the rest of us can help you with? We love all the 'nakeds' here. :ThumbsUp::LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is a Don Sphynx the same as a Peterbald? I know a few members have Peterbalds and I know the Peterbald's are from Russia.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of our cats are mixes of the two. I have a bunch of Facebook friends from Europe, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and other countries that all refer to their kitties as sphynxes. Very few actually refer to them as Peterbalds or Don Sphynx's. And I have a hard time believing that someone imported sphynxes and started the breed over their. I could be wrong.

just my opinion, but it seems to me that the Dons / Peterbalds have a more oriental shaped face, longer muzzle and they seem to have the curled up whiskers too!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
just my opinion, but it seems to me that the Dons / Peterbalds have a more oriental shaped face, longer muzzle and they seem to have the curled up whiskers too!
I think you're right. I've noticed that too.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think someone said the difference was that peterbald/don gene was dominant and kittens born furred can go bald, where the canadian sphynx gene is recessive and they are always born bald.

You'r right, the Don Sphynx Gene is dominant. The kittens are born bald and some of then can get hair (flock, brush or plush). The hair MAY disapear till the age of 2 years.

The type of the Peterbald should be oriental because they are breed with Oriental SH.
But the type of the Don Sphynx is not alowed to be oriental.
I will post some more pictures in my galery.

This is my Beany Baby

Ah, I am not sure what that makes my pair. My breed said she imported the stud from Russia or the Ukraine. I will know more ( maybe ) where I get my papers.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You'r right, the Don Sphynx Gene is dominant. The kittens are born bald and some of then can get hair (flock, brush or plush). The hair MAY disapear till the age of 2 years.

The type of the Peterbald should be oriental because they are breed with Oriental SH.

This is my Beany Baby
Beanie Baby is goreous.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the Don Sphynx and the Peterbald. I'm still learning....

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

This is my Beany Baby
That is very interesting, and your cat is quite handsome, thanks for joining us, I look forward to learning more about them!

Welcome to the Lair! Beanie is gorgeous! Not sure about genetics but either way he is a handsome boy!

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is suspected that Hollywood is a Don Sphynx (he is a rescue)
. He has the curled whiskers and his tail is very whip like. His face and eyes look very different from my others. Here is a pic.....opinions?