Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Donskoy kitten fur loss

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
I have an 11 week old Donskoy kitten, Dobby. He's adorable. He had the most fur out of his litter and his litter mates had lost most of their fur before they were ready to be collected, so I was really hopeful that he would keep his fur. But he's got a bald patch on his head starting. At first it was between the creases but then I stroked/rubbed it (gently!) and it got a bit bigger. I'm very impatient and know this is like asking how long is a piece of string butttttt can anyone guess by this and his coat type what his fur loss is going to be like? My googling tells me his coat type of brush. It's so cute and soft. It's slightly thinner on his tummy and front of his neck, and his ears are pretty much bald. Oh and did I say? HE'S SO CUTE. He's also hilarious next to my rescue British Shorthair the fur difference kills me. And he gets on so well with everyone, only had him a week and my other 3 cats have accepted him and he's so playful. I've attached some photos so people can see his fur, anyone fancy making a guesstimate and trying to see into the future?
IMG_20181026_095335879.jpg
IMG_20181026_095400985.jpg
IMG_20181025_174456107.jpg
IMG_20181021_124133303.jpg
IMG_20181026_095324991.jpg
IMG_20181026_095310632.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair! Dobby really is adorable. His fur looks like felted wool and so unique looking. Hopefully another member with a Donskoy will give you an idea how long because everything I ever read just says “over time” which who knows how long that means lol. Hoping you remain active in the community.

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
Welcome to Sphynxlair! Dobby really is adorable. His fur looks like felted wool and so unique looking. Hopefully another member with a Donskoy will give you an idea how long because everything I ever read just says “over time” which who knows how long that means lol. Hoping you remain active in the community.
Yeah everything I've read says if they lose their fur it'll be in the first 2 years and that Donskoys with his coat are the least likely to lose any and won't be entirely bald, but I can't seem to find much more than the basics about them online. Both his parents were completely bald but I love his fuzz

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Yeah everything I've read says if they lose their fur it'll be in the first 2 years and that Donskoys with his coat are the least likely to lose any and won't be entirely bald, but I can't seem to find much more than the basics about them online. Both his parents were completely bald but I love his fuzz

Oh MY LORD!! My heart can't stand it! ...I just can't :love: What a CUTIE!!
In the beginning, when I was looking at Donskoys, the last thing I wanted was a cat with fur, however, I've grown to LOVE the brush coat over a short period of time. He may not lose all of it, but may(?) keep some of that GORGEOUS coat the rest of his life

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
@Dobbytheratcat He is GORGEOUS! You could trim a little off and glue it on his little bald spot. :p
@Catzzzmeow He does look like felted wool. That's what I thought when I first saw him

I have been tempted to just fill the patch. And yes, he feels a bit like very soft felted wool. I really wasn't expecting him to be so soft when the breeder showed me pictures

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
Oh MY LORD!! My heart can't stand it! ...I just can't :love: What a CUTIE!!
In the beginning, when I was looking at Donskoys, the last thing I wanted was a cat with fur, however, I've grown to LOVE the brush coat over a short period of time. He may not lose all of it, but may(?) keep some of that GORGEOUS coat the rest of his life

I really really hope he keeps it, and who knows if I wish really hard he might grow fur back in the patch he's lost I mean I'd also like him to stay tiny but I think I might need to adjust my expectations

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow... hes absolutely stunning!! I don't think I've ever seen one with furr like his, and I LOVE it. Beautiful colors he has :love:

Dublin Riis

Lairian
I really really hope he keeps it, and who knows if I wish really hard he might grow fur back in the patch he's lost I mean I'd also like him to stay tiny but I think I might need to adjust my expectations

It's funny how I thought Donskoys were MUCH LARGER in person. I was speechless when I saw Dublin for the first time. He was soooo tiny and still is in my opinion. He's 8.5 lbs and eats 3x per day. He has a clean bill of health, so all is well and I won't expect he'll ever be a 10 or 12 lb cat.
My BIGGEST fear is if he ever got out of the house, he'd surely be mistaken for a rat by eagles, hawks or owls.

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
It's funny how I thought Donskoys were MUCH LARGER in person. I was speechless when I saw Dublin for the first time. He was soooo tiny and still is in my opinion. He's 8.5 lbs and eats 3x per day. He has a clean bill of health, so all is well and I won't expect he'll ever be a 10 or 12 lb cat.
My BIGGEST fear is if he ever got out of the house, he'd surely be mistaken for a rat by eagles, hawks or owls.

Yeah Dobby is perfectly healthy and eats well, he's got free access to food. He's just teeny tiny. I have a 6kg+ British Shorthair too so next to him he looks even smaller
IMG_20181021_111018536.jpg
IMG_20181021_111055301.jpg
IMG_20181021_111030040.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Dobby is stinkin cute. His fur is very unique! His fur brother/sister is a cutie too. Great to see they cuddle like best buddies

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I cant help out. My peterbald came to me as an adult and had already balded. He wound up with silky, curly hair on his chest and elbows to toes. He also had the most impressive set of whiskers.
Cant wait to see how your kit winds up. He is SO cute.

Sevi

Lairian
Dobby is adorable!!
Mara is the same age and has the same coat! But she doesn’t seem to be losing any of her fur. It’s really hard to tell how Dobby’s coat will settle out...but he’s always going to be ridiculously cute!! I know that’s not very helpful :/ Excited to watch him grow!

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
Dobby is adorable!!
Mara is the same age and has the same coat! But she doesn’t seem to be losing any of her fur. It’s really hard to tell how Dobby’s coat will settle out...but he’s always going to be ridiculously cute!! I know that’s not very helpful :/ Excited to watch him grow!

So far he's only losing it on his head, and mostly in the wrinkles. He looks adorably ridiculous I really wasn't expecting him to lose any really, it's very short fur but quite dense. Even the breeder sold him for less because he had so much more fur than his litter mates

Izidora

Lairian
I cant help out. My peterbald came to me as an adult and had already balded. He wound up with silky, curly hair on his chest and elbows to toes. He also had the most impressive set of whiskers.
Cant wait to see how your kit winds up. He is SO cute.
can I see pics please? :D My Silvio is a mix of canadian and donskoy (unofficial breeder - other member please don't think that pairing canadian and donskoy is great cause it's not and it's also not reccommended to do it cause they're 2 different breeds) and he's got the same pattern - I am guessing it is from donskoy genes. He was furry as a baby them up to his 2nd year he lost all except elbows to toes hair and whiskers + some facial hair. Pics in attachment.

To the original poster: Dobby is so adorable <3 I love donskoy flock and velour coats more than the bald version :)

Attachments

Izidora

Lairian
Dobby may remain like that or he may be fully bald - I am not 100% familiar with donskoy genetics cause it's complicated lol but I do know there are 4 versions of coat - bald, brush, flock and velour. However we do not know about Dobby's parents or genetics. I am thinking he might be velour coat?

This was my first cat when he was a kitten (he was also a can x don mix) and he had a wiry coat similar to Dobby in a way. It all fell of leaving only hair on legs and face but the rest of his body was like chamois. However he is not a good reference since he is not 100% donskoy.

Attachments

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
Dobby may remain like that or he may be fully bald - I am not 100% familiar with donskoy genetics cause it's complicated lol but I do know there are 4 versions of coat - bald, brush, flock and velour. However we do not know about Dobby's parents or genetics. I am thinking he might be velour coat?

This was my first cat when he was a kitten (he was also a can x don mix) and he had a wiry coat similar to Dobby in a way. It all fell of leaving only hair on legs and face but the rest of his body was like chamois. However he is not a good reference since he is not 100% donskoy.

His parents were both completely bald, his mum was born with like velvety type fur but lost it pretty much instantly and is now balder than bald and dad was born completely bald and never grew any fur. All his litter mates were fuzzy but Dobby had the most fur and the rest are all bald now too. I think he's got the brush fur, it's very short and quite dry, dense and curly but still soft. It's weird. He seems to be losing the fur on his head quite quickly but it's not shedding anywhere else on him. Going to bath him later and who knows, I may have a completely bald headed cat when I'm done