Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Dont hold your pet on your lap in car!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A few weeks ago a friends little mini poodle was killed in a minor fender bender. Like many pet owners, including myself! they were holding their pet on their lap......the accident triggered the air bags to go off and the force of the airbag killed the dog. The owner was not injured but devastated over her pet.

Before hearing this, I used to travel in the car, in the front passenger seat with nofur in his travel bag on my lap. It never occured to me that air bags could do that, although it makes sense!

So even if you are being safe and putting your sphynx in a travel bag, be sure you are not putting it on your lap with an air bag that could go off!

I cannot tell you how many pets we see in Emergency Medicine who have gone through such things. In addition to holding in laps, it's not suitable to let your pet run free (especially cats). Pets are more likely to survive accidents (minor and major) if they're in kennels in the back of the vehicle, strapped in (if possible).

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very good advice. It's also dangerous for the owner as well as the pet too. I've seen many people badly injured due to being distracted by pets or because they have been travelling with pets on their laps.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very good advice. It's also dangerous for the owner as well as the pet too. I've seen many people badly injured due to being distracted by pets or because they have been travelling with pets on their laps.
Exactly. Also not meaning to sound heartless but a small cat or dog getting flung from the backseat can cause a lot of damage to a person sitting in front of it.

Putting your pet in a secured carrier is safer for both them and you.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Great tip:ThumbsUp: Thanks. I had this problem with Delilah our puppy when she was A baby she always wanted to be on my lap in the car, even when I was driving:Surprise:
I drove around the block a million times and kept putting her in the back until she got it.

thank you for this tip.....I have been holding Pinkz in my lap in the front seat.....but now will train him to stay in his crate where he will be safer!!! We have enough room in the van that I'm sure we can give him a dog crate that will hold his cat box too. It will be hard to train him because he is so spoiled, but we'll work on it.