Don't want to miss a step... | Sphynxlair

Don't want to miss a step...

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Tails' started by AthenaAura, Mar 17, 2010.

1. AthenaAura

AthenaAuraLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $332.00
    Ratings:
    +10
    I will be picking up my cat this weekend. For the first few days she will stay with my children and myself at my mothers house, then we will come all the way home together. I have already purchased her new bed things, new pan etc. I was planning on keeping her separate from the rest of the cats (1 cornish, 2 domestics) for a few days. I have been reading through the threads and see some kept their cats quarantined for up to 2 weeks? Is this a hard and fast rule? Is this to eliminate illness or ? My two domestics are indoor/outdoor cats, does this pose a problem to our Sphynx? I want to make sure everything is in order before we come back home. I've already called to make a vet appointment on the Monday after we get home.

2. Maggies mommy

Maggies mommyV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,100.16
    Ratings:
    +471
    Congrats & good luck

3. Fester

FesterSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,588.12
    Ratings:
    +511
    • Skull head
    I absolutely recommend quarantining -- for disease is one good reason, but the other is domestic harmony

if they can get familiar with one another while having a physical barrier( poking one's paws under a door for example), they seem to be able to get along with one another much better.

4. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,011
    I would wait a week just in case someone is sick.
    Also go slow.
    I did let my cats meet Polar Bare and both sphynx hissed.
    My other cats are fine with him.
    Let your cats smell the scent.

5. TanyaT

TanyaTV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $318.00
    Ratings:
    +626
    Good Luck!!

6. Mug-ys mumma

Mug-ys mummaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $381.99
    Ratings:
    +585
    Good luck!

X

7. gizmo6370

gizmo6370Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $8.00
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Good luck! :Smile:

8. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $277,452.68
    Ratings:
    +17,655
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Hi AthenaAura,
    Yes, as Fester said it's advised to quarantine for at least a week, for disease purpoes and to have it easier for your companions to get used to one another.:Laugh:

9. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,877
    I recommend keeping a door between her and the other kitties as well for a while. It will give them time to sniff each other thru the door and also allow them to get used to each others scent. Hissing matches are fine face to face however, with your indoor outdoor kitties probably having their claws nice and sharp they could really hurt Sissy with her having no fur if they started throwing paws. Better to let them go slow. It's hard and I've always introduced my furred kitties that way as well merely for the caution of disease. Im sure Sissy is fine since I've met her and know her but I'm more concerned with her taking to your other kitties well.

With Snuffie coming from there I haven't introduced her to a animal yet that she didn't take too but you never know how your own may react either. Keep me posted tho - I'm so excited for you!!

10. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
    You'll definitely need to keep her quarantined for at least a week to 10 days. 2 weeks would be ideal, depending on the vaccination situation... When you take her to the vet will she be getting any new vaccinations? If so, they are not instant, and take several days to become effective. Quarantining will protect her during those days, and also protect your other cats in case she is carrying any disease. Often times, under stress - like a new home - things like URI can pop up. If she's quarantined, this will keep it from spreading to the other cats.

The other benefit of quarantining, like Fester mentioned, is that the new kitty will have a chance to adapt to her new home, new people, new smells, in a safe environment all her own. Once she's comfortable in her own space (and the other kitties have had a chance to get used to her there), it'll make the introduction to the rest of the family that much easier.

11. lemmysmommy

lemmysmommySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $350.00
    Ratings:
    +432
    Good Luck with bringing your newest addition home!!